Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mitsumi m42sp-7 — Parallax Forums

Mitsumi m42sp-7

Jonathan AllisonJonathan Allison Posts: 96
edited 2005-02-23 18:36 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all,

This stepper motor has only 4 wires, when from what I have seen I should expect four. I guess the four wires would be for each phase, but where does the common go?

If anyone has any ideas I would like to hear them!

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Johnny

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-02-23 02:54
    That would appear to be 2-phase bi-polar...See attached pic.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --==<{Chris}>==--
    265 x 210 - 3K
  • Jonathan AllisonJonathan Allison Posts: 96
    edited 2005-02-23 03:01
    When I check out the specs on the motor (http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/Catalog/compo/motor/m42sp/7/text01e.pdf) it says the Excitation Method is 2-2 Phase excitation (Unipolar driving).

I really don't know a whole lot about these but to me that says its a unipolar, please correct me if I am wrong. I'm hoping its unipolar [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
    edited 2005-02-23 03:27
    Hmmm, dunno then.· That was the best I could find.· Did you scour the GOOGLE results?· wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --==<{Chris}>==--
    edited 2005-02-23 03:52
    while doing some googling, I found this: http://info.hobbyengineering.com/specs/PX-27964.pdf

Its a pdf originally from Parallax describing how to control one of these motors, All that is fine, I just dont understand where "10 Brown" actually connects to the motor, from what I can see there is no connection available for it on the motor, unless it just goes to the case of the motor? Is that posssible? Can you distinctly see four wires coming from the motor depicted in that image? I thought I did but sometimes my vision decives me.

Anyway, let me know what ya think.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
    edited 2005-02-23 14:37
    Yeah well after a bunch of research this must be a bi-polar motor, appologies for challenging your knowledge Chris! Now I know it requires more hardware to opperate a bi-polar, and I'm all setup to operate a unipolar. Need to disect some more printers etc lol

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
    edited 2005-02-23 18:36
    No need to be sorry.· Good luck on your experimenting!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --==<{Chris}>==--