Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Microcomputer — Parallax Forums

Microcomputer

Hello,

I have been following several articles online on homebrew computers using vintage chips from Intel or Zilog as well as a few others, and I was thinking it would be great to use a Propeller or even a P2 as the main processor.

The question is on how to get started with the operating system, so that you would’t have to upload the program when you write spin programs and compile. If spin the tool simply tokenizes the code and translates it to binary, wouldn’t that be easy enough for the propeller to do this on its own.

It sounds to me like tokenizing is a lot like parsing which is just translating text data from one form to another? I have done this before on a gerberx2 file to convert it to g-code.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it, just name your price. I have always wanted to build a computer from scratch and code it up with an interpreter, and make it do all kinds of stuff. In fact I had the idea while I was attending class, but due to deadlines decided not to since I wouldn’t be able to complete it in time for my final project.

Comments