Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Animatronic Eyes — Parallax Forums

Animatronic Eyes

A couple of years ago I was looking for animatronic eye assemblies for a playtime project, then Covid hit and the idea got shelved.

I've now returned to the idea but cannot, for the life of me, find anyone selling the assemblies.

I can find plenty of files to 3D print your own but I don't own, and can't justify, a decent 3D printer setup. And plenty at $$$$ prices, but nothing more reasonably priced. I'm looking to pay around $100 - $150.

Does anyone have any leads?

Comments

• Have you done a search on Etsy?

• Can't help with the hardware but I like this guy's approach to motion control:

• @JonnyMac said:
    Have you done a search on Etsy?

Hi Jon,
    it might be because I'm in the UK, and some sellers don't ship here, but other than 3D print files I didn't find anything. I'll try a few more search terms.

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,912
    edited 2022-12-31 15:50

Another thing to consider is 3D print services that would be available in the UK. This may be a good solution as professional shops tend to maintain tighter tolerances on their professional printers. Even companies like PCBWay.com are offering 3D services. I normally get PCBs from them, but over the summer ordered a machined aluminum piece for a friend's Star Wars cosplay. They're doing 3D printing now, too.

I suggest you find an eye project that is well documented and use their 3D files with a service. This one looks pretty good.
    -- https://www.johnstrope.com/eyemech

The project includes YouTube videos. Of course, his processor is the Arduino Uno, so you'll have to convert code. Where he's using an external PWM board, you can use a cog in the Propeller. A good friend of mine uses the attached P1 servo driver in his work building robots and animatronics for the new Star Wars TV shows. The driver will control 8 servos in a cog and allows independent speed control by servo (I really need to port this to the P2....)

• @JonnyMac said:
    Another thing to consider is 3D print services that would be available in the UK. ...

I hadn't thought of that, thanks Jon.

• JLCPCB offer the same. Couple of vids on YouTube and the quality seems to be there 😎

• Thanks for the steers. Time to look into 3rd party 3D printing.