Charitable donation for memory and display boards

2»

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805

Tried a bit with 24 MB on P8, no luck.
    Need a faster way to test...

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,374
    edited 2022-09-10 21:45

Should try with the 96MB board (or just USE_PSRAM_SLOW in general, though 4bit/slow will make NeoYume unhappy).

I don't think anyone has gotten external RAM to work on an Edge board. (I only have a Rev.A regular Edge and the big JohnnyMac breadboard, which is a nonstarter anyways). Then again, the 32MB Edge exists.

24 MB works on rev.c edge board. See pics from a few posts ago

• I meant "work reliably"

Tried to get this P2 board made with 3 oz copper. But, they wouldn’t do it because pads ( on P2 I presume) are too close together.
    Have to settle for 2 oz. May or may not do NeoYume.. will be interesting to see.

They wouldn’t give me 2 oz on top and 3 oz on bottom either. Has to be same on both sides…

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    edited 2022-09-14 23:53

Larger diameter vias should help. They'll have more copper per via and the added solder fill will increase heatsinking too. EDIT: And if you are getting them assembled for you then lead-free solder will be better heat conductor as well.

Lead free better heat conductor?
    Didn’t know that.
    By how much?

edited 2022-09-15 13:31

It was a guess but Lead is not great at conducting anything, while Silver is going to be good since it's the best electrical conductor.
    Looking them up - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_thermal_conductivities I find lead-free-solder listed as 60. Disappointingly a long way short of its component metals. And with leaded solder at 50 they're not far apart.

EDIT: Personal experience tells me that stated figure might not be correct. My impression of soldering with lead-free is the heat travels much quicker than with leaded solder.

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,273
    edited 2022-09-15 17:28

@evanh said:
    EDIT: Personal experience tells me that stated figure might not be correct. My impression of soldering with lead-free is the heat travels much quicker than with leaded solder.

>

Maybe related to the hotter iron / air ?

edited 2022-09-16 02:27

hmm, possibly. I dunno where my roll of lead-free is these days. It might be 20 years since I last used it.