Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is there code for the Universal Motor Driver P2 Add-on Board? — Parallax Forums

Is there code for the Universal Motor Driver P2 Add-on Board?

I don't see any included with the downloads.

Craig

Comments

• Ummm, yeah :neutral:

Would've been nice to have the basics:

• This bit commutates the motor, Hall-sensored True/False
    • This bit drives the motor based on the user command

Craig

• @Mickster said:
    Would've been nice to have the basics:

• This bit commutates the motor, Hall-sensored True/False
    • This bit drives the motor based on the user command

Craig

Craig, how can I help? I'm the one that created the driver. What are you trying to do?
    The driver has been built to make selection of the two motor types offered by Parallax just easy to do.
    Sounds like you are trying to do something else?

Stephen

• Hi Stephen, yeah I already tracked you down :lol: and was about to contact you externally.

For a universal controller, one wouldn't expect to have to sift through an application to extract the bare essentials.
    I see separate sample rates for velocity and position loops (cool) but it's difficult to see what/why. And then there's this reference to a wheel diameter....I get that this is for a hover board but for a "universal controller", it's clutter for those of us who simply want general purpose motion control.

I guess what's needed is the ability to select brushed/brushless commutation and then the actual closed loop motion stuff.
    Stated all too often that Chip has unwittingly created potentially the most capable motion control processor available. All that's missing is the firmware.

:+1:

• @Mickster said:
    And then there's this reference to a wheel diameter....I get that this is for a hover board but for a "universal controller", it's clutter for those of us who simply want general purpose motion control.

Just curious... What are you planning to do with the board? Driving industrial servo motors? Does the Parallax driver support feedback from a high resolution incremental encoder? I think the hall sensors are good for commutation, speed control and coarse position control like for robots on wheels but not suitable for sub-mm resolution for CNC machines. Also the voltage range is not well matched to those motors.

• @ManAtWork said:

@Mickster said:
    And then there's this reference to a wheel diameter....I get that this is for a hover board but for a "universal controller", it's clutter for those of us who simply want general purpose motion control.

Just curious... What are you planning to do with the board? Driving industrial servo motors? Does the Parallax driver support feedback from a high resolution incremental encoder? I think the hall sensors are good for commutation, speed control and coarse position control like for robots on wheels but not suitable for sub-mm resolution for CNC machines. Also the voltage range is not well matched to those motors.

Hall effects purely for commutation. My shaft encoders are typically 4096 line.
    I don't normally dabble in the low voltage drives/motors but I have an idea for another product :smile:

Craig

• @Mickster said:
    Hi Stephen, yeah I already tracked you down :lol: and was about to contact you externally.

Craig,

Yes, this is a use model that I'd like to make easier to support.
    Let's work on this together offline. Then I'll release what we come up with as an update to the driver.

Stephen