Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Tachyon for the RP2040 in the works. — Parallax Forums

Tachyon for the RP2040 in the works.

This post shows clearly that at some point there might be a version of Tachyon Forth available for the Raspberry PI Cortex M0 microcontroller.

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066

Yes, it’s underway!

• It's good to see @"Peter Jakacki" is alive and, presumably, well. Does that mean we're going to get our P2D2s?

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2021-09-05 17:33

@JonnyMac said:
    It's good to see @"Peter Jakacki" is alive and, presumably, well. Does that mean we're going to get our P2D2s?

I would think he is sided tracked at the moment seeing how much time he has in the other forum.

I have 40+ P2D2's paid for ready to ship in the US and Canada.

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    edited 2021-09-05 16:17

We should have him know that in advance payment is intended to show severe support and that we are still confident that one time we will get what we expected then. Live by definition is risky! So, @PeterJakacki do what is needed and ask for what you need to do it!!

• @Publison said:

@JonnyMac said:
    It's good to see @"Peter Jakacki" is alive and, presumably, well. Does that mean we're going to get our P2D2s?

I would think he is sided tracked at the moment seeing how much time he has in the other forum.

I have 40+ P2D2's paid for ready to ship in the US and Canada.

I was willing to cut Peter some slack when it sounded like he was overwhelmed with personal issues but he now seems fully engaged again but on other projects. It would be nice if he would take a short break from those to fulfill all of these P2D2 orders.

• @ErNa said:
    We should have him know that in advance payment is intended to show severe support and that we are still confident that one time we will get what we expected then. Live by definition is risky! So, @PeterJakacki do what is needed and ask for what you need to do it!!

I did not order and pay in advance for P2D2, so I am somewhat neutral here. Please excuse me for saying some thoughts, which I have in mind for a long time.

Peter certainly has spent lots (!!!) of hours for this project and probably a lot of money too. P2D2 is way more complex (3 completely different controller families on one board....) than any other P2 hardware I have seen.
    And this project seems not to be successful.
    This is ugly for everybody but it can happen and there are examples in (computer) history from very well known companies.

So let me bring in the question:
    What would be needed, to officially cancel P2D2 in an tolerably acceptable way?

Peter is a great inventor, and for this forum here Peters absence is a huge loss.
    Christof

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140

@"Christof Eb." said:
    Please excuse me for saying some thoughts, which I have in mind for a long time.

Peter certainly has spent lots (!!!) of hours for this project and probably a lot of money too. P2D2 is way more complex (3 completely different controller families on one board....) than any other P2 hardware I have seen.
    And this project seems not to be successful.

P2D2 has only P2 and a USB-UART bridge MCU (EFM8UB3), which is the same MCU family used to create the CP2102N. Maybe your 3 includes the Si5351A which is the Clock synthesis chip ?
    FWIR, that was included way back when there were still question marks over P2's PLL, so that was to give an alternative testing platform. (good to 200+ MHz)
    Si5351A is loaded at power up with default settings, so is invisible to the user.

There is also now P2ME2, which removes USB Bridge and has no Si5351A Clock generator and no SD cards and no current limiters, but matches the P2D2 0.1" DIP headers so can drop-into p2d2 0.1" mother boards.
    P2ME2 is also double sided parts placement (decoupling caps on rear)

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/173492/p2me2-was-bypass-capacitors-needed-for-p2
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1525488/#Comment_1525488

• So let me bring in the question:
    What would be needed, to officially cancel P2D2 in an tolerably acceptable way?

I would think it would help if he could show up here and explain the situation and formally end the project so people don't continue to expect the P2D2 to be delivered at some point. Canceling it by just disappearing isn't really that acceptable.

IMHO P2D2 was just too ambitious with the EFM chip and Si oscillator, and the SMT switcher part(s).

I know Peter has been trying various hw designs (pcbs) to overcome the current issues.

Peter and I are currently looking at the RP2040 as an alternative. We have also looked at the WCH CH340 series and CH55x series too.

It's hard when you have problems on multiple fronts, and on top of this your health plays a role - particularly focus.

Now for a nice TAQOZ update...

It is running with the RPi pico (RP2040) with 6 USB CDC ports.
    2MBd works just fine both ways using just a single port currently. 8MBd works in blocks but not continuously and we're thinking that rendering the data is part of the problem at both P2 and PC ends.

Latest TAQOZ code is on sourceforge dated 20Aug2021. I think the file TAQOZ/Binaries/_BOOT_P2.BIX is the TAQOZ Extend binary.

• @Cluso99 said:
    Now for a nice TAQOZ update...

It is running with the RPi pico (RP2040) with 6 USB CDC ports. ...

Wait a second, are you saying that there already is Tachyon/TAQOZ available for the RP2040 ?

I'm following this development as much as I can but I would think it's the Mecrisp Stellaris with Peters' customizations that actually runs on the RP2040 as of now.

So which one is it ?

• @Cluso99 said:
    Latest TAQOZ code is on sourceforge dated 20Aug2021. I think the file TAQOZ/Binaries/_BOOT_P2.BIX is the TAQOZ Extend binary.

It would be really helpful, if there was some documentation of changes from 2.8 (April).
    The last changelog readme is dated February 2021 and it is not clear, which sources have been used für the August variant. Thanks to Bobs documentation 2.8 from April is described best by far and I would strongly recommend to stick with that version, if anyone wants to USE Taqoz for a project!

edited 2021-09-14 10:17

@Maciek
    No. We are using TAQOZ on P2 to test send and receive data blocks to and from the PC via the pico with USB software to work out what max serial speeds work.

@"Christof Eb."
    I cannot help. I don’t actually use TAQOZ. Peter was using this version. There is the WORDS command to see what is supported. I do know he can switch the baud on the serial and he also has SD support too as I saw him do a dir list of files on the SD. We were on zoom.

I think Peter actually compiles TAQOZ directly using the files on sourceforge ie he doesn’t download them to compile locally on his pc. He is using Linux mint cinnamon. I only have this working on my pc since the w/e so I’m still coming to grips with Linux. I needed to do this because I was having trouble downloading the software to compile C for the RP2040 pico under windoze.

• @Cluso99 , thank you.
    That is exactly what I thought, meaning no Tachyon/TAQOZ for the RP2040 as of yet.
    I've been thinking, and that is purely speculation based on what I see here and there, Peter is up to two things at least, one being a feasibility study of the possibility to replace the UB3 with the RP2040 as a companion chip to the P2 (for cheap) and the other being Tachyon/TAQOZ for the RP2040 itself. Both would be the most welcome developments.

edited 2021-09-14 17:09

@Maciek said:
    @Cluso99 , thank you.
    That is exactly what I thought, meaning no Tachyon/TAQOZ for the RP2040 as of yet.
    I've been thinking, and that is purely speculation based on what I see here and there, Peter is up to two things at least, one being a feasibility study of the possibility to replace the UB3 with the RP2040 as a companion chip to the P2 (for cheap) and the other being Tachyon/TAQOZ for the RP2040 itself. Both would be the most welcome developments.

Yes.

Peter is still working on delivering a P2D2 version although progress is slow. The UB3 still has USB issues although he recently fixed a number of them. The CP2102 is solid but they have not released that code, but rather different code which is not bug free.

We are both looking at adding RP2040 to P2 at some time in the future.

Peter is working on Tachyon for the RP2040. He’s been extending an existing forth implementation to get a feel for the chip. I think he’s about ready to start Tachyon.

We both have pico boards and Peter has some others as well. We both have a number of RP2040 chips. For me, the hand placement of the tiny QFN 0.4mm pitch is an issue although the reflow is easy as I have a commercial oven. I need to build something to steady my hand for placement, so I’ve been looking at some of the cheaper pick and place machines to see what I can do easily.

• @Cluso99 said:
    Peter is still working on delivering a P2D2 version although progress is slow.

Are you saying that all of us who paid for a P2D2 will eventually get one? That’s good news!