Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
what happened to the P2D2 and Peter Jakacki? — Parallax Forums

what happened to the P2D2 and Peter Jakacki?

no posts, no news?

concerned

Mike

Comments

• I sent him a couple of inquiries starting around the beginning of June. I have heard nothing back. :(

• P2D2 was a very nice design, but maybe the P2 edge is more popular, thats my guess.

• But many people paid for the P2D2. Do they just lose their money?

• He is even not following the forum since the 24th of May ... perhaps he is ill ... or busy with other businesses.

• I agree.

I had a recent brush with debilitating illness, and as a result I’ve learned to be appreciative of patience in others. I’m inclined to think that if he could physically deliver the P2D2, he would. And if he cant, I’m ok with walking away from a few lost bucks. IMHO, the value of Peter’s contributions to my Parallax education far outweigh any monetary loss due to speculating on the P2D2. (And the same statement holds true for many dozens of other Parallaxians who freely contribute their time and skills on the board).

• I to am worried. I have 25 envelopes ready with postage ready to go to ship to North America when I get the product.

• @"David Betz" said:
    But many people paid for the P2D2. Do they just lose their money?

I also told Peter not to worry about refunding my money even if he can't deliver the P2D2 if he is having personal issues. He has certainly contributed enough to the Propeller community that I'm happy to make a small donation in support of his past efforts. I guess my comment about people having paid money is that it would be nice to get an update on when or if we will ever see these boards. If the answer is "never", that's okay with me if he has run into personal problems that prevent him finishing this project. Really, I guess I shouldn't have said anything because I really appreciate what Peter has done and the money for the P2D2 is peanuts in comparison.

• @"David Betz" You’ve always been a gentleman on the forum. I dont think anyone took your comment that way. And if anyone did, we can probably chalk it up to simple brevity.

Did Peter open source the P2D2, or does that design remain his IP?

• @JRoark said:
    @"David Betz" You’ve always been a gentleman on the forum. I dont think anyone took your comment that way. And if anyone did, we can probably chalk it up to simple brevity.

Did Peter open source the P2D2, or does that design remain his IP?

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm not sure if the P2D2 is open source. I'm not sure I would buy one now anyway as I have the eval board and the edge and will likely get the new edge when it becomes available. I haven't had any time for the P1 or P2 lately but I'd like to get back to both. Some of my time has freed up recently so that might actually happen. Anyway, I wish Peter well and hope that the delays aren't an indication of poor health or other personal issues.

• tritoniumtritonium Posts: 539
    edited 2021-07-02 18:41

Hi

Peter posted this november last year- he mentions being too sick to get on the zoom meeting.
    I'm sure he said something in another post about his medication upsetting him..>
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/168645/p2d2-an-open-hardware-reference-design-for-the-p2-cpu/p33

(post no. 974)

Peter Jakacki Posts: 10,193 2020-11-12 08:48 edited 2020-11-12 08:50 Flag

"I was getting ready to show off some of this new P2D2 stuff on zoom this morning but I was just too sick to even get on."

Dave

• I hope he’s okay.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066

I will check with him and try to sort something out. I spoke to him on viber just over a week ago.

• @Cluso99 said:
    I will check with him and try to sort something out. I spoke to him on viber just over a week ago.

This is indeed EXCELLENT news!

• @Cluso99 said:

Please let him know that we miss him, and are thinking of him

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2021-07-03 01:54

@Cluso99 said:

I'm glad he's okay.

• @Cluso99 said:

That's a relief, was beginning to think the worst!
    Although the P2D2 and accessories are a brilliant piece of design, and I want one!- his health, presence on the forums insights and personality are far more important. I miss him too.

Dave

• MJBMJB Posts: 1,235

There are more missing him and having talked about his absence like me and @ErNa.

@"Peter Jakacki" - we miss YOU !!

I spoke to Peter briefly yesterday and he is OK. Didn't get enough time to discuss P2D2 but we will catch up shortly and I'll let you know.

• thanks,

Mike

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191

@Cluso99 said:
    I spoke to Peter briefly yesterday and he is OK. Didn't get enough time to discuss P2D2 but we will catch up shortly and I'll let you know.

SO glad to hear this!

• Cluso99

Since you are in communication with Peter, please tell him that I miss his presence in the forum, that I am electronically lost without him, and that I will finally give his Forth a try, if he returns :) That should motivate his return :)

• I think more tachyon and taqoz code contributions on the forum from anyone regardless of experience would be a big encouragement to Peter. He's given a great deal but hasn't receive much back. That's discouraging over a long period. I suspect plenty of folks dabble with his forth, so, cmon, show what you've got, examples are always good.

• Just wanted to add another thank you to Peter for all he has done for the Propeller community.
    I really like working with TAQOZ as it makes the P2 much more approachable.

Chris Wardell

• MJBMJB Posts: 1,235

Peter Jakacki seems more alive than ever ;-)

Just at a place where he maybe get's more resonance / appreciation than here on the propeller forum:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2225595150855239/user/100001403722826

Tachyon for Risc-V ... Tachyon for the new EforthSuperProcessor32 aka ESP32 ...
    just picked up a few keywords so far

• Almost every robot I played with uses a propeller programmed in TACHYON. I also find that the presence of TAQOZ on the P2 makes the P2 easier to use. I feel that Peter's forth version is the premier programming language for both propellers.

Nick

• @MJB said:

Just at a place where he maybe get's more resonance / appreciation than here on the propeller forum:

Not available to view unless you are a member?

• @MJB said:

What a relief.
    Peters' Tachyon was what brought me to the P1 and the P2. Maybe it's time to explore Risc-V as well now when there is also a version of the ESP32 based on this architecture ? I'm sure there must be something to it and Peter just saw this opportunity earlier :). I remember him saying once he might just as well write his Tachyon for the Risc-V (to be used as a companion chip for the P2). This is really good news indeed if he has chosen to do so. Focus is good but changing ones focus to something else is good too.

edited 2021-07-12 22:05

I have spoken to Peter a couple of times over the past week.
    He's trying to get the P2D2 done but struggling with a couple of issues.
    Hopefully he will comment here.
    BTW he is not 100% which doesn't help either.

• @Publison said:

@MJB said:

Not available to view unless you are a member?

Try this link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2225595150855239

-Joe

• @octetta ,
    this is a private group as well. One needs to register to gain access. I'm not much of a facebook fan so I will never know what I lose.