Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
what happened to the P2D2 and Peter Jakacki? - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

what happened to the P2D2 and Peter Jakacki?

124»

Comments

• @RossH said:
    I wish Peter well and can live without the $75, but I do think Parallax's adoption of Tachyon Forth was a mistake.

While I dearly love my HP calculator, I don't naturally think in Reverse Polish Notation and I don't think many others do. I also think that adopting an obscure and difficult write-only language from the 1970's ** could easily have resulted in the Propeller 2 being dismissed by the mainstream as a bit of a cult oddity.

Fortunately, it is barely visible in the documentation and you never actually need to use it.

** Yes, I am being partly ironic here - but at least C is still widespread and has an official specification! :smile:

I doubt any other programming language would have fit in the space available. As you say, you can ignore Tachyon if you don’t need it but having a programming language has advantages for those who are willing to learn how to use it.

• @ManAtWork said:

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    I mean, define Real Application. My emulator nonsense is finished(kinda) software one can download/compile/run right now that fulfills some chosen goal in a semi-novel way. Sure, that chosen goal is a bit silly, but so am I.

Well, the term "real application" came from @hinv quoting Peter Jakacki in post #62. I just copied that. I think he meant "profitable application" which enables the creator making money from it or Parallax selling more chips or both.

Again, I've never meant to criticize anyone or anything.

Not that I got that from you. Just had to add my 5 eurocents worth of snark.

In fact I'm a bit jalous about how you can afford spending so much time on non-profit projects. I tend to be too busy all the time and can only dream of spending the whole day experimenting with the P2. But that's my own fault and if I'm not happy I have to change something by myself instead of blaming others.

If you can estimate the time I spend actually doing useful things, now imagine the time I spend doing nothing of value ("value" here includes actual comitted recreation). And that's why I'm considered mentally disabled enough to be paid to stay away from people doing profitable work.

But to call it "real" or better "successful" aplication it has to reach a larger group of users. So I'm not worried about the quality of the forum content. But we shouldn't make the mistake to design amazing things for a very limited circle of "geeks".

Yea, that's kinda the thing. If no one's there to hear the tree fall... But that's a chicken and egg problem.

• And that's why I'm considered mentally disabled enough to be paid to stay away from people doing profitable work.

😂🤣😂🤣👍

• And that's why I'm considered mentally disabled enough to be paid to stay away from people doing profitable work.

I would pay for a how-to..

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133

Glad to see that so many of you are still around and still passionate. I've been gone for months getting the debugger going and have been neglectful of the forum. Gives me hope to see you all here.

• I would be happy to take some pieces of the debugging and tricks of the gaming P2, when I start to make business
    Thank-you!
    It save me a lot of time.
    Make P2 fun

:)

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,192

@cgracey said:
    Glad to see that so many of you are still around and still passionate. I've been gone for months getting the debugger going and have been neglectful of the forum. Gives me hope to see you all here.

I was thinking you were getting some needed rest and intentionally being offline for a while.

BTW, there has been a number of calls for Parallax to flesh out the new docs more. I don't how much of that you've been involved though.

• @Publison said:
    KISS000 and KISS001 boards in stock for North America delivery also.

Cost for US delivery?

• @DaveJenson said:

@Publison said:
    KISS000 and KISS001 boards in stock for North America delivery also.

Cost for US delivery?

$5.50 First Class in padded envelope. Can fit up to two boards in one package.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,192

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    ... And that's why I'm considered mentally disabled enough to be paid to stay away from people doing profitable work.

I suspect you'd do quite well doing self-employed contracting. The tricky part is getting the reputation. Once you get a productive outcome, word of mouth gets around pretty quick to those willing to pay good money for a talent.

• hinvhinv Posts: 1,252

@pik33 said:
    I have a not retro, "real P2 thing" which is autonomic UVC COVID disinfecting robot family developed by our university team.

How does your bot distinguish COVID from other things that could be disinfected with UVC?

@cgracey said:

Welcome back. Are we going to get some good docs and a live forum to demonstrate it?

@ManAtWork said:
    KISS001 with SD-Card and USB connector for power
    KISS000 without SDC and screw terminals for power

How much are they? I am thinking I "need" one of each.

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742

@Mickster said:

@ErNa said:
    I've plenty of KISS boards in stock ;-)

Please shoot me a price either here or PM (I'm in Lancashire) :+1:

How many do you have?

Craig

Sorry, we had the office closed due to holiday
    The price is 25€, I could send them by letter, please write to info@nascma.com

• @ErNa

Nano scale machining?!!

Now that's mind boggling technology. Unfortunately I don't read German. Tell us more 🤓

Craig

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,350
    edited 2022-08-23 18:26

@hinv said:

@pik33 said:
    I have a not retro, "real P2 thing" which is autonomic UVC COVID disinfecting robot family developed by our university team.

How does your bot distinguish COVID from other things that could be disinfected with UVC?

It doesn't. That's why it may be useful even after the COVID era. There are thousands of other pathogens that this UVC can destroy, including humans, if exposed. But that was the official project purpose. Make a remote controlled/autonomic robot family for the hospital's COVID department. There are 3 of them. One disinfecting air with closed UVC lamps, the second with open lamps and moving arms for disinfecting rooms (under beds, futniture, etc.) The third robot, developed by another team, has no UVC and its purpose is transporting stuff to and from patients.

I was in the hospital's covid department with this robot for testing. The patients were taken out of the room, they took samples, I drove the robot into the room and performed a disinfection, then they took samples again for comparison. I was in the "hot zone" in full suit and non-zero probability to catch covid (and while I didn't catch it this time, there is no way not to catch it at the university with thousands of students). Virtually everyone was sick in the last October when the academic year started. As we were already vaccinated, this was not a big problem. No smell, no taste for a week, 3 days of higher temperature, sore throat, that was all.

• Interesting. Do you have a source that shows that c-19 has actually been purified and sequenced?

Not a computer model but the actual "virus" because no one on the planet has been able to produce this evidence 🤔

@pik33 said:

@hinv said:

@pik33 said:

It doesn't.

So you're invoking the BS label for?

That's why it may be useful even after the COVID era. There are thousands of other pathogens that this UVC can destroy, including humans, if exposed. But that was the official project purpose. Make a remote controlled/autonomic robot family for the hospital's COVID department. There are 3 of them. One disinfecting air with closed UVC lamps, the second with open lamps and moving arms for disinfecting rooms (under beds, futniture, etc.) The third robot, developed by another team, has no UVC and its purpose is transporting stuff to and from patients.

Doesn't UVC kill mold too? UVC is quite useful tech.

I was in the hospital's covid department with this robot for testing. The patients were taken out of the room, they took samples, I drove the robot into the room and performed a disinfection, then they took samples again for comparison. I was in the "hot zone" in full suit and non-zero probability to catch covid (and while I didn't catch it this time, there is no way not to catch it at the university with thousands of students). Virtually everyone was sick in the last October when the academic year started. As we were already vaccinated, this was not a big problem. No smell, no taste for a week, 3 days of higher temperature, sore throat, that was all.

There is no COVID vaccine, unless you redefine the word "vaccine" but once you start redefining words to justify things anything goes. Also people that didn't take the jab got through that year's flu or whatever it was (SARS-CoV2 has never been isolated), for instance, it went through the Amish community in the area in about 2 weeks and everybody got through it in less than a week (including those over 70 years old) with exception of one young guy that had just recovered from something else and had a compromised immune system...he took 3 weeks. No one was hospitalized.

• This is not a thread or forum to be discussing COVID. Please refrain from continuing that discussion as they will be subject to edit.

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742

Right, and we also shouldn't talk about free energy and quantum fluctuations. ;-)) Science is hard work. And Nano Scale Machining originated in pure sarcasm as everybody tried to follow the "nano" hype and the machining creates meso things in nano steps so it is very slow and costly. But "nano" is just great. ;-)