Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
91 Mirrors, 182 Servos — Parallax Forums

91 Mirrors, 182 Servos

ercoerco Posts: 20,250
edited 2021-05-19 04:06 in Robotics

Quite a project. Their Prusa 3D printer farm alone is impressive! Turn on captions; I wish I spoke Czech, but nemluvim Cesky.

https://makezine.com/2021/05/11/these-91-undulating-mirrors-will-boggle-your-eyes/

Comments

• All I can say is WOW !
    Jim

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250

@"Duane Degn" could have done it all with a single Prop 1. :)

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2021-05-20 19:15

@erco said:
    @"Duane Degn" could have done it all with a single Prop 1. :)

182 servos is a bit much for one Propeller chip. The Propeller 2 could handle it no problem.

The most servos I've controlled at once is 32. It was a just a demo to show it could be done.

My Halloween Hex uses 24 servos. This is the most I've used in a "practical" application.

I believe the Propeller 1 could drive up to 92 servos. @"Beau Schwabe (PLX)" posted a schematic and code here.

I think if some of Beau's tricks were applied to the P2 then 182 servos should be possible.

That was a really cool display. I recently (about a year ago) joined the 3D printing world. My hexagons don't do much but I have 20 of them to make a soccer ball.

There's also 12 pentagons to complete the ball. Here's an unlisted video I made to show Jame Bruton. He was 3D printing a sphere and I thought my sphere was pulling itself into shape nicely. I think the concept to be enlarged to make larger spheres.

The hexagons and pentagons get pulled together as I add the 3D printed fasteners. I should really make a proper video showing it off. It's nothing like the moving mirrors but I think I made a pretty cool 3D printed soccer ball.

• Yikes! A person could easily set fires with that mirror contraption out in the sun!

-Phil

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250

Dang nice printing, Duane!!! I have a small printer someone gave me free for doing an Amazon review and I've dabbled in Solidworks. But my business partner has become a 3D printing Guru and can do anything. He has 2 Prusas and another one too. He's an Apple fanboy and he uses an iPad & pencil to design using Shapr 3D. He's so good I just let him do it all once I rough our mechanisms out by hand. So handy for making LOTS of the same thing.

Good on ya, Boy!