Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chip shortage — Parallax Forums

Chip shortage

Whats up with the chip shortage, hear car lots are empty because of no CPU's, maybe they can run those Fords and Chevy's on a P2

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250

Yes, the toy industry too has electronics supply chain problems after Covid. Many companies are getting out of China for various reasons (travel mainly) and transitioning to more expensive manufacturing elsewhere. Costs are rising on every front. That Suez Canal blockage didn't help either.

Remember mid-lockdown when a barrel of oil was negative? Did we ever get paid for hauling excess, useless, burdensome, smelly fuel away from a gas station...?

• Looks like IC's are becoming the new toilet paper of last year, can't get them

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697

@DigitalBob said:
    Looks like IC's are becoming the new toilet paper of last year, can't get them

Yet I am still being inundated with emails touting the latest and greatest chips and components.

• IMHO One of China's main strategies has always been control the raw resources worldwide! It's a gangsta/cartel/mafia mentality and it works. The only defense against it, is to quit using those products or make new products that don't need those resources. What did we do before toilet paper? Man, could we use those Sears and Roebucks catalogs now!

Maybe all my hoarding of cheap Chinese components will pay off in 2021.

Psssttt... Hey buddy, wanna buy a nice relay?

This global chip shortage may get worse before it gets better. Just the opposite of "when it rains, it pours": Taiwan's drought.

https://www.scmp.com/video/china/3130682/taiwans-worst-drought-decades-adds-pressure-global-chip-shortage

• Same here .... Just placed an order today from Mouser for a couple hundred micros that had lead times of 44 weeks from Digikey and they only had 940 something in stock.

• Long delays on new ambulance chassis for automotive related chip sets. Hope we have not outsourced ourselves into trouble...

• When can we expect more P1 44QFP

• @DigitalBob said:
    When can we expect more P1 44QFP

Those are in Taiwan being packaged at this moment. Add yourself to the WaitList here and be the first person to be notified.

https://www.parallax.com/product/propeller-1-chip-44-pin-qfp-chip/

I expect them in a couple of weeks.

Ken Gracey

• Thanks Ken, I did find a source with stock of 100 ea. @7 per

• @erco said:
    This global chip shortage may get worse before it gets better. Just the opposite of "when it rains, it pours": Taiwan's drought.

https://www.scmp.com/video/china/3130682/taiwans-worst-drought-decades-adds-pressure-global-chip-shortage

Yes, quite dry here in Taiwan. Some water reservoirs at at 11% capacity. We wait for some typhoons, they are our main water supply. We did not get any last year. There was one approaching a week ago but it changed course.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2021-04-29 07:42

I have about 40 P1 QFP44 if anyone gets desperate, and possibly another 100-150 but I would need to check as they are not here.