Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2D2 - An open hardware reference design for the P2 CPU - Page 33 — Parallax Forums

P2D2 - An open hardware reference design for the P2 CPU

Comments

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    edited 2020-10-31 10:36
    ErNa wrote: »
    Just continue moving fast.... So we don't have to wait 'till November to see if life is worth living!
    Thats from August, 4th

Hi all, I'm at standby to distribute Peters boards in Europe and will take orders, the moment the boards are here in stock. Just now I believe that supply will fall short as those boards have to be build by an EMS company and not on a kitchen table, as we do. So I really hope, at November 4th we will see a redemption and will feel free to continue the work without having the answer the question, if what we see is real! How can education fail in a way like what we saw. There must be a future where science and intellect are great again! what we, the people are responsible for. We select the persons to lead our intellect and not our bad emotions. So, Peter, go on, go forward and give us the toys to come over the time of the second wave, now rolling strongly already. Then Corona will give us the time to stay at home, make great things again and see it as an investment others make in us.
  • Still in line waiting for a EU purchase... @ErNa, please do not forget me when the moment arrives!
    There is so much tension and thrill in awaiting the result of Peters effort to put together all the components to form a biosphere of the P2. Time goes by second for second and still we do not see any stable result. All of Peters genious couldn't keep us from that. What comforts me just now is, that half of Europe is waiting with me and as we are so busy waiting, we can not watch whatelse happens in the world. And while we anxiously wait, I can imagine how another very special person is waiting not necessarily for Peter ;-) .
  • And I thought you were just announcing something really big :smile: But no. Not this time. Not just yet.
  • ErNa wrote: »
    There is so much tension and thrill in awaiting the result of Peters effort to put together all the components to form a biosphere of the P2. Time goes by second for second and still we do not see any stable result. All of Peters genious couldn't keep us from that. What comforts me just now is, that half of Europe is waiting with me and as we are so busy waiting, we can not watch whatelse happens in the world. And while we anxiously wait, I can imagine how another very special person is waiting not necessarily for Peter ;-) .

Yes, and I have all the US and Canada to make happy. Peter will release will release the hounds when they are groomed and fully feed. :)

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2020-11-06 08:53
    I plan to show off these new P2D2 boards next week on Zoom although I will confirm that in the next few days. It's been a busy week for me and next week also with getting these boards together and also organizing more parts and also sending off artwork for P2LABS and other boards and fun stuff. I will endeavor to send an initial shipment through next week (US + EU + UK + some local stuff) while I make plans for a larger production run.
  • Peter,
    Is the shipment to US going to include uPort boards?
    Jim
  • RS_Jim wrote: »
    Peter,
    Jim

Jim, I'm going to stock everything Peter can ship here in the US. Hopefully the uPort, and the others are coming,
    As I'm planning to open a webshop for Peters P2D2 and companions, and as I like projections, we in secret are talking about the P3 and now, I can make a special offer: even if used, still in good shape and just like new, the special edition P45! I'm asking for your best price and the winner will get it for free ( excluded value added tax and customs )
  • I'm not in to guns any more. Not even for free. Do not send me any, please, or we're both in big trouble. :)
  • RS_Jim wrote: »
    Peter,
    Jim

There will be plenty of uPORTs, that was the easy part!
  • Peter,
    Glad to hear löts of uPorts!
    Jim
    edited 2020-11-12 07:50
    I was getting ready to show off some of this new P2D2 stuff on zoom this morning but I was just too sick to even get on. But I took some photos this afternoon of a panel of P2D2s ready for testing and shipping. I need to order more P2 chips though to complete the orders due to earlier manufacturing losses from the previous revision. This time they have turned out well.

P2D2%20panel.jpg
    3881 x 2688 - 2M
  • Impressive looking little boards. :)
    Hope you are feeling better soon. Looking forward to you showing them off, once your feeling up to it.
    Take care.
  • Great to see P2D2 progress Peter. Boards are looking cleanly assembled. Hoping it won't be long for shipping and you get to beat the Xmas rush.
  • Here's a quick overlay of the board functions.
    P2D2-ed-1.jpg
    4401 x 2352 - 1M
  • Looks great. Can't wait :).
    edited 2020-11-13 14:56
    I'm going through all the prepaid orders to make sure I have them covered first but the very first batch I send will be limited while I wait on more P2 chips. The main thing at the moment is to get these out there without further delay. The next batch won't be far behind.

Each P2D2 will include the 50mil pin headers and sockets as well as a 100mil adapter plate (looks like the original P2D2) plus a spare push-eject microSD socket if you want to mount it on the back.

uPORT modules are also being shipped and I'm doing another format to replace the inline USB serial adapters that plug directly into the PC and have a pin header on the other end. The original uPORT is still better suited for building into a breadboard though plus you have access to the watchdog and A/D inputs etc as well as the optional RTC.

If you want to secure a P2D2 out of the next batch I will start taking orders again now that I have working boards.
    I have asked Peter to include me into the first shipment so I hope to be able to distribute first requests here in the EU (UK still included) from Germany, the home of the first proven Covid-19 vaccine ;-). Due to limited ressources, there will be a triage and the chips will be send frozen to keep them alive!
  • Thanks for the info Peter and ErNa.
    Just let us all know how, when and to whom to pay to avoid confusion.
    I'll state up front, I have not yet used PayPal but am happy to make a payment in advance to any given account if that is acceptable.
  • For those active on the forum and who would really really like a P2D2 but it is too expensive because of the exchange rates or customs etc, please pm me and I will do my best and put you on my list for a "free sample". I have earlier P2D2s that are earmarked as samples as well although I need to go through and check these first.
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,252
    Maciek wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Peter and ErNa.
    Just let us all know how, when and to whom to pay to avoid confusion.
    I'll state up front, I have not yet used PayPal but am happy to make a payment in advance to any given account if that is acceptable.

Yes, please. I want one of each.
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,751
    edited 2020-11-17 15:10
    I have not found the reference that I was looking for, but somewhere I got the impression that there are 2 versions of uPORT, 1 with microsd connection and 1 without. if this is a correct assumption, I need a price of 1 with and 1 without. I need to start making arrangements to move $.
    Thanks.
    Jim
    edited 2020-11-17 15:36
    RS_Jim wrote: »
    I have not found the reference that I was looking for, but somewhere I got the impression that there are 2 versions of uPORT, 1 with microsd connection and 1 without. if this is a correct assumption, I need a price of 1 with and 1 without. I need to start making arrangements to move $.
    Thanks.
    Jim

There's only the one version at present with microUSB and optional RTC.

I will be doing a model that is simply the USB serial with smart reset in a USB-A plug version with pin headers on the other end from the USB port.
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,252
    So how do I order? How soon to ship?
  • I've been away for a while. Has the P2D2 shipped to people who placed orders last year?
  • I have units ready to ship and I was going to send some to Cluso to combine in a shipment to publison but I've just had a very busy week on top of getting all this ready. Next week I will have more P2 chips so I will send off a shipment then. The P2D2ed of course is similar to last years version but has a lot of internal improvements.

P2D2ed-1.jpg
    1359 x 694 - 294K
  • I have units ready to ship and I was going to send some to Cluso to combine in a shipment to publison but I've just had a very busy week on top of getting all this ready. Next week I will have more P2 chips so I will send off a shipment then. The P2D2ed of course is similar to last years version but has a lot of internal improvements.

P2D2ed-1.jpg
    Looks good! I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed the shipment because I had been away.

• Great. Looking forward to the shipment. Will the corresponding P2PAL be ready too?
  • David Betz wrote: »
    I've been away for a while. Has the P2D2 shipped to people who placed orders last year?

Don't worry David. I have you down as paid and have an envelope ready with your name on it.