Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
7,000 P2 Rev. C Chips delivered to Parallax! — Parallax Forums

7,000 P2 Rev. C Chips delivered to Parallax!

We're taking care of the advance orders for 90-unit trays first, then we'll allocate these among the following uses:

- additional trays of 90 units for customers who have not ordered
- P2 Evaluation Boards Revision C
- uses on a P2 Module (which is not designed)
- for sale individually

At this stage our priorities are for Chip to finish the debugging design, for Jeff to get the Propeller Tool working, applications, and consider a production order. The 7,000 chips we've received will need to last us until we place a production order, which has a 12-16 week lead time and a tremendous expense. We've got some business strategizing to do along with engineering work.

Ken Gracey

Comments

• Very cool! I hope you have the problem of not having enough because they all sold out!
  • Sweet!!
  • Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Very cool! I hope you have the problem of not having enough because they all sold out!

We'll see. We need to place a production order to bridge the supply gap, in which case running out would feel okay. The production order has not been placed and we're just looking into it right now. I'm mostly concerned about tools, objects, and getting up to speed myself.

Ken Gracey
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    WooHoo :smiley:

Checking my email :smiley:
  • @"Ken Gracey" Congratulations! It's exciting to hear that we're one step closer to production. I hope things continue to go well for P2.
  • Congratulations to all the Parallax family on this milestone. We have just touched the tip of the capabilities of the new P2 chip, I have dozens of ideas and products lined up in my head. Looking forward to PropTool updates.
  • Congrats to Chip, Ken and all of Parallax! The light at the end of the P2 tunnel is getting brighter every day.

I would also like to put in a *strong* vote for Parallax to "officially" supporting ERSmith's amazing FastSpin/BASIC/C/assembly suite. That compiler is like a Swiss army knife. It has something for everyone and it does it all well.

I'm excited and chomping at the bit to get my hands on some production silicon. (I have an evil plan to take over the world using Parallax and Total Spectrum Software products!)
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    I've been waiting a very long time for this! Congrats Parallax!
  • AWESOME!!

Another milestone crossed.

• Is there an approximate time line when the evaluation boards with the new chips will be available for purchase?
  • It would be great to see an offer for a P2 Rev C module soon in Germany!
  • i myself have not found any distributor for P2 in Germany now.
    Ordering form US directly is a pain, because of time and
    tax :smile:
    i wish there where a German distributor.
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    edited 2020-06-07 18:22
    As soon as the first P2D2 arrives in my office, I will open a webshop in a not yet determined form... So it depends more or less from the circumstances.
  • Surac wrote: »
    i myself have not found any distributor for P2 in Germany now.
    Ordering form US directly is a pain, because of time and
    tax :smile:
    i wish there where a German distributor.

Surac, we haven't brought the mainstream distributors on board yet since we're in the early adopter phase. It would create demands we are still unable to support.

I've got three solutions for you. Contact Oliver at ELMicro in Leipzig. We can sell him whatever you want to buy. Or go online to parallax.com and select USPS, which is quite inexpensive.

If you don't like any of these options, I'll just drop a board in the mail to you. So, you choose and let's get your problem solved.

Ken Gracey
    kgracey@parallax.com
  • DiverBob wrote: »
    Is there an approximate time line when the evaluation boards with the new chips will be available for purchase?

DiverBob, we've made some changes to the P2 Eval Board and the new PCBs arrive in about a week. The changes were extensive and require a new pick-and-place file, so it'll likely be the end of June before we have the new P2 Eval Board Rev C ready.

The P2 chips may be ready to sell this week. We just have to figure out a few things about packaging and minimum order quantities (probably a 4-pack).

Ken Gracey
  • @"Ken Gracey"
    Thank you very much for the offer!
    I have already ordered all I need directly from Parallax US
    I just wanted to point out that shipping and customs can be
    a problem

Best regards
  • I've just unboxed my tray of 90 P2-ES. :smiley:
    800 x 1067 - 102K
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    Cool! Diving right in.

Are the 0.1" headers for the new Eval Board going to be in the same place?

I'm contemplating designing a shield-like board that plugs into all the headers from above...
  • Yes.

Except the top-left header 5v pin was changed to Reset.

And the bottom-right header 5v pin is now Not Connected.

Top-left is the P0..P7 group, right?
    And bottom-right is P32..P39?
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,272
    edited 2020-06-08 17:54
    top-left being the 5v pin next to P62

bottom-right being the 5v pin next to P30

I'll get an image posted tomorrow.
    Got it. Thanks.
  • Here's the image @Rayman
    1431 x 1529 - 112K
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Here's the image @Rayman
    Does this new layout have the same circuit as the Rev B board? I wasn't planning on buying a Rev C board because what I'm doing won't be affected by the slight change from B to C but if my Rev B board is going to incompatible with code people write for the Rev C that would be unfortunate. It seems like the two boards should be the same from a programming perspective even if their physical layout is a bit different.

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,272
    edited 2020-06-24 12:51
    David Betz wrote: »
    Does this new layout have the same circuit as the Rev B board? I wasn't planning on buying a Rev C board because what I'm doing won't be affected by the slight change from B to C but if my Rev B board is going to incompatible with code people write for the Rev C that would be unfortunate. It seems like the two boards should be the same from a programming perspective even if their physical layout is a bit different.

RevB and RevC remain 100% code compatible.

The differences from B to C:
    P0 to P15 and P32 to P47 are trace-length matched for high speed data experiments (such as HyperRAM).
    BOD is removed from the dipswitch and instead Propeller RESn is permanently connected to the 1.8V regulator PG signal.
    USB RES is on the dipswitch, which enables the user to disconnect the USB reset (DTR) signal from the Propeller RESn pin.
    The 5V pin which was next to P30 has been removed, and that pin is now unconnected. A white silk square is provided if a user wanted to connect that pin to something and label it.
    The 5V pin which was next to P62 has been replaced with a RESET input to the Propeller RESn. The WiFi module could connect here, for example.
    The unpopulated DTR/RESn pads which RevB had (near the SD socket) have been removed as the above improvements replace the need for those pads.
    Some improvements to the USB power circuit to improve protection from edge-case faults.
    WX Ready approval- as RevC Edge header works with Parallax WiFi module for wireless programming
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    P0 to P15 and P32 to P47 are trace-length matched for high speed data experiments (such as HyperRAM).
    In addition to pre-existing P16-P31.

• Those were never matched- just were the best of the rest.
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »

RevB and RevC remain 100% code compatible.

The differences from B to C:
    BOD is removed from the dipswitch and instead Propeller RESn is permanently connected to the 1.8V regulator PG signal.
    USB RES is on the dipswitch, which enables the user to disconnect the USB reset (DTR) signal from the Propeller RESn pin.
    The 5V pin which was next to P30 has been removed, and that pin is not unconnected. A white silk square is provided if a user wanted to connect that pin to something and label it.
    The 5V pin which was next to P62 has been replaced with a RESET input to the Propeller RESn. The WiFi module could connect here, for example.
    The unpopulated DTR/RESn pads which RevB had (near the SD socket) have been removed as the above improvements replace the need for those pads.
    Some improvements to the USB power circuit to improve protection from edge-case faults.

Thanks! It's good news that the Rev B and Rev C boards are code compatible.

The 5V pin which was next to P30 has been removed, and that pin is not unconnected.

@VonSzarvas You mean "NOW unconnected", right?