Any ideas for P2 demos? - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Any ideas for P2 demos?

Comments

• Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2020-03-18 02:04
    An autonomous or semi-autonomous quadcopter designed to fly through
    a maze, recon (inside) buildings, sewers, subway, or observe streets, and
    roof tops.

It is an old idea, but they still have contests for similar tasks.

Bill M.

edited 2020-03-27 19:56
    An open source i/o platform that is expandable to suit any
    type of project.

A box or case could hold a P2 mother board with many (2/4/8)
    open source perpendicular or horizontal expansion boards and
    and their connectors.

The expansion boards basic dimensions and bus connections would
    all be open source, and the boards could be any custom smd, or
    through-hole design.

A couple examples:

(1) I like engine dyno's:
    Expansion boards could facilitate a vga or hdmi monitor, a human
    input board, weather station, a tachometer, a load cell, multiple
    thermocouples, a multi purpose engine sensor board, and data
    connectivity (wifi) or storage board.

(2) Another possibility is a robotic arm or cnc controller for a mill,
    laser cutter, 3D printer, plotter, etc. Expansion boards could be
    independently designed for servo motor control, sensors, a control
    input panel, a vga or hdmi monitor, a human input board, USB
    connectivity, etc.

(3) Open source expansion boards for basic functions like a monitor,
    keyboard and mouse, short or long distance data buses, wifi, usb, or
    lan could be designed by Parallax or the P2 community.

(4) Short or long distance data bus boards could support remote
    data collection modules like 8 type k thermocouples mounted on an
    engine.

Bill M.
  • I play Pedal Steel Guitar , Bass Guitar and Rhythm Guitar. On a normal weekend I have the option of playing live at some event or just jam with my friends at our homes. However, wIth all of this Coronavirus isolation my friends and I can't play music together. We need a Internet based video/audio interface so that we can Jam over the internet in real-time. We require low-latency interaction of the various instruments. Too bad it's impossible :) LOL

• You "just" need an AI algorithm that predicts when a string is about to be plucked, based on P2 capacitive sensing of where you fingers are, and their velocity and trajectory. To compensate out the latency...
  • You myght can use the goezel demo to catch your fingers earlier.

But I remember there was some Internet based MIDI thing doing exactly that. The latency is basically not so bad once the connection is there. But audio streams? You might need to hack the priority levels in IPV6, heck they do live operations over the net,...

Enjoy!

Mike
  • If you're close enough, I wonder if there are any radio frequencies on which you could legally transmit MIDI? You're not going to get any lower latency than point-to-point radio.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    A laser.
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2020-03-29 12:14
    VENTILATORS 101: WHAT THEY DO AND HOW THEY WORK

https://hackaday.com/2020/03/25/ventilators-101-what-they-do-and-how-they-work/

From this comment (if it is correct) :

"Having been a Registered Respiratory Therapist for the past 28 years, this is not a DIY task. We don’t need to reinvent the wheel here. There are plenty of “old school” pieces of equipment that would fill the void here. The Bird Mark 7 and Puritan Bennette PR 2 are both perfectly capable of delivering Time Cycled, Pressure limited ventilation to a patient. There are other “plastic vents” made for transport that can be mass produced and rapidly deployed that work on the same principles as the afore mentioned machines. The problem is they do not have any kind of alarms or monitoring capabilities. This makes the use of them not possible because a nurse or RT would have to remain at the bedside 24/7. It would be better served if you could DIY something that could be put inline with these devices providing feed back on Rate, Tidal Volume, Minute ventilation, and Peak Pressure. Also provide Alarm Limits for High and Low Pressure, High and Low PEEP, High and Low Rate. With these things being able to monitor and alarm when needed it frees the nurses and RT’s to care for more than one patient at a time as we do with existing ventilators. Just my two cents here, but if you want to help? That’s what we need……."
    ***************************************************************************************************************************************************
    THis comment sums up the problem:

"The problem is they do not have any kind of alarms or monitoring capabilities. This makes the use of them not possible because a nurse or RT would have to remain at the bedside 24/7. It would be better served if you could DIY something that could be put inline with these devices providing feed back on Rate, Tidal Volume, Minute ventilation, and Peak Pressure."
    ******************************************************************************************************************************************************

It would be a easy task for a P2
    \

Edited to add this open source project from MIT:
    :
    https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/308236-mit-develops-cheap-open-source-ventilator-for-coronavirus-treatment?fbclid=IwAR0bZ8DrB5Nsn0xoHX9dKsZLjRWWowEabkau7j17TPYPiQA7r_jWDRWd8mY
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    We need some wireless connectivity.
  • Bob there is a more detailed paper about a couple of earlier MIT prototypes here:-
    https://web.mit.edu/2.75/projects/DMD_2010_Al_Husseini.pdf
    I believe they are related
  • A Mini Theremin with the goezel board would be cool.
  • @ cgracey

Yes , a ventilator-real-time-monitoring-system would need it for sure.

@Tubular
    Bob there is a more detailed paper about a couple of earlier MIT prototypes here:-

Ok thanks. I started a new thread on this topic

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/171398/coronavirus-open-source-ventilator-real-time-monitoring-system-p2-challenge#latest

• cgracey wrote: »

How about a SPI link to a small ESP32 module?
    edited 2020-03-29 19:42
    cgracey wrote: »

Is the P2 capable of controlling a swarm of 4 - 6 small
    quadcopters?

Bill M.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,614
    edited 2020-03-29 21:56
    evanh wrote: »
    A laser.
    Such high frequencies only tend to work line-of-sight.

quadcopters?

Bill M.
    How about controlled robotic balloons, which take much less energy to keep aloft?

Mount mirrors on them, and bounce lasers off them. Don't miss with your laser beam, or you'll be in big trouble!

quadcopters?

Bill M.

Sure. It could do hundreds.
    JonnyMac wrote: »

How about a SPI link to a small ESP32 module?

Sure. I wonder if there are any modules which are slated to exist for a very long time, which have simple comms and handle the wireless. That would be something to write objects for.
  • @cgracey
    Sure. I wonder if there are any modules which are slated to exist for a very long time, which have simple comms and handle the wireless. That would be something to write objects for.
    WiFi Module - ESP8266

Something like this ? :

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13678

The ESP8266 WiFi Module is a self contained SOC with integrated TCP/IP protocol stack that can give any microcontroller access to your WiFi network. The ESP8266 is capable of either hosting an application or offloading all Wi-Fi networking functions from another application processor. Each ESP8266 module comes pre-programmed with an AT command set firmware, meaning, you can simply hook this up to your Arduino device and get about as much WiFi-ability as a WiFi Shield offers (and that's just out of the box)! The ESP8266 module is an extremely cost effective board with a huge, and ever growing, community.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,912
    edited 2020-03-29 23:15
    The ESP is well established and though it can do stand-alone work, it's frequently used as a WiFi bridge. The ESP32 is bigger than the ESP8266 and related devices, but also offers SPI for high-speed coms. The ESP32 also does BLE and Bluetooth classic which opens up more wireless communications capabilities.

Here's an example of the ESP32 used as a WiFi bridge for a RISC-V processor.
    -- https://www.sifive.com/boards/hifive1-rev-b
  • SimpleLink™ 32-bit Arm Cortex-M3 dual-band Wi-Fi® wireless network processor module

https://www.ti.com/product/CC3135MOD?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=epd-conn-null-CC3135MOD-pf-google-wwe&utm_content=wifi_module_for_microcontroller&ds_k=wifi+module+for+microcontroller&DCM=yes&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjoH0BRD6ARIsAEWO9DtLXfQ0lE_AtSpApc_fw2_JSzElYfUboLJDBYz7moEGM0TN7ZViUmEaAiHHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The CC3135MOD is an FCC, IC/ISED, ETSI/CE, MIC, and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ module that dramatically simplifies the implementation of Internet connectivity. This dual-band Wi-Fi® network processor module can be added to any low-cost, low-power microcontroller unit (MCU); it integrates all protocols for Wi-Fi® and Internet, which greatly minimize host MCU software requirements.

This ROM-based subsystem includes an 802.11 a/b/g/n dual-band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio, baseband, and MAC with powerful hardware cryptographic engine. With built-in security protocols, the CC3135MOD solution provides a robust and simple security experience. The CC3135MOD is available in an LGA package that is easy to lay out with all required components including serial Flash, RF filters, diplexer, crystal, and passive components that are fully
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    A laser.
    It was a joke. You said point-to-point.
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2020-03-29 23:21
    Grove - UART WiFi V2 is a WiFi module for Arduino and Seeeduino, this Arduino WiFi module based on ESP8285 - the upgraded version of ESP8266.

https://www.seeedstudio.com/Grove-UART-WiFi-V2-ESP8285.html?utm_source=blog&utm_medium=blog

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Get-Started-With-ESP8285-Module-/

• JonnyMac wrote: »
    ... The ESP32 also does BLE and Bluetooth classic which opens up more wireless communications capabilities....
    It does also wired fastethernet, just add the connector with integrated magnetics.
  • evanh wrote: »
    A laser.
    It was a joke. You said point-to-point.

I know. I should have added a :) .
  • Parallax Wi-Fi module?

There are loaders supporting it for P1

Mike
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    I think the P2 would be the ideal chip for such a Videosynth:

Andy
  • An interesting little niche project you found there Andy.

Definitely agree the P2 is a good match there. After seeing what can be done with HyperRAM and frame buffers recently, I think applications like this could certainly be achieved with the P2 at pretty decent resolutions.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,800
    edited 2020-04-17 14:15
    I just bought some stepmania dance pads for the kids (to maybe get them a bit active...).
    StepMania is open source... If could port to P2, could make a little box devoted to this.

Perhaps could also make your own dance pads with P2 as well...

Or, maybe a big Goertzel pad and find some metal socks :) Wait... You don't need metal socks, I remember now...
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Wow, what a great idea. First time I've heard of it. Sure would keep all the kids occupied for a while and possibly tire them out. P2 would be perfect for that, and for many other games.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,800
    edited 2020-04-17 17:51
    I guess you can use the pad as a general purpose input device... Looks like a keyboard apparently...
    Maybe I'll try @ozpropdev's invaders with floor pad :)