Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Errors in V1.2 Propeller Manual — Parallax Forums

Errors in V1.2 Propeller Manual

From time to time I find errors in the v1.2 propeller manual. Where's the proper place to report these?

Comments

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,262
    edited 2020-01-17 12:52
    editor@parallax.com

Thank you in advance.

ModEdit: Email address updated
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,767
    Can you give an example?
    I'm a bit surprised there could be errors after all this time...
  • Rayman wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised there could be errors after all this time...

Quoting @kuroneko from a PM he sent me once...
    kuroneko wrote:
    It took me two years to get Parallax to update the instructions timings (e.g. 8..23 instead of 7..22) so I figured why bother trying again.
    That was in relation to the fact that the manual doesn't document the C flag output from MOVS/MOVD/MOVI/JMPRET
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,262
    edited 2020-01-17 12:53
    I'm really sorry to hear that from kuroneko, and thank you for sharing the issue @Wuerfel_21

For everyone, Please Please do report anything that is misprinted to editor@parallax.com moving forward.

And if you feel your messages are falling on busy ears, you can always PM @Publison or @VonSzarvas and we will go lend a hand to move things along.

ModEdit: Email address updated
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-01-16 22:40
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    I'm really sorry to hear that from kuroneko, and thank you for sharing the issue @Wuerfel_21

And if you feel your messages are falling on busy ears, you can always PM @Publison or @VonSzarvas and we will go lend a hand to move things along.

+1
  • An example for Rayman: Page 81 uses "CogID" as a variable. The start/stop methods could also use some updating.
  • CJMJ wrote: »
    An example for Rayman: Page 81 uses "CogID" as a variable. The start/stop methods could also use some updating.

Added to editor list.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,767
    You're right, that is an error in the manual. I'm surprised...

Good Catch!
  • Thanks Tom. Submitted.
  • @VonSzarvas and @Publison, Looks like the links to the various forums and discussion groups listed in the PropTool seem to be dead. OBEX link does still work however. Parallax semiconductor website linked in the proptool looks like it got hijacked......
  • Do you mean in the software menus somewhere?

I think you do... I'll go take a look.
  • OK, I see what you mean- On the Help tab.

That task is already listed to fix-up with the new Propeller Tool release, but thanks for raising it to make sure.

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-01-18 15:24
    @VonSzarvas and @Publison, Looks like the links to the various forums and discussion groups listed in the PropTool seem to be dead. OBEX link does still work however. Parallax semiconductor website linked in the proptool looks like it got hijacked......

Parallaxsemiconductor was shut down a few years ago by Parallax, so it was not hijacked. Propeller tool definitely needs updating to reflect the changes. Those of us that have been using Propeller Tool for a decade knew this, but for newbies, it must be changed.
  • Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,351
    edited 2020-01-22 19:48
    Oh, just remembered/encountered-again another fun misprint that has been known for a long time. With regards to the Z flag result from WRxxxx. The manual claims in a footnote that it gets set when the address (after being forcefully aligned) is NOT long-aligned, cleared otherwise. This is apparently(? haven't actually tested it myself I must admit) complete nonsense and instead the Z flag represents whether the written long/word/byte was zero (i.e. ignoring high bits that don't actually get written in the WRWORD/WRBYTE cases). Looking at the P1V source(note for fellow explorers: the WRxxxx data gets put onto bus_d in cog.v, gets masked to word/byte in hub.v, put onto the RAM bus in hub_mem.v and then travels all the way back through bus_q into the Z flag OR circuit), it seems to agree with that.

Should I write an email, too, or is posting it here enough?

• Wuerfel_21 wrote: »
    . This is apparently(? haven't actually tested it myself I must admit) complete nonsense and instead the Z flag represents whether the written long/word/byte was zero

Should I write an email, too, or is posting it here enough?

Here's fine. Issue logged!

Anyone else know about this Z flag thing, to confirm ?
  • While you are at it, not properly an error, but can you get rid of that annoying notice that pops up on the first page ?
    It grabs the focus (at least on Linux) and I need to click on the page to be able to switch pages with the keyboard. These notices can be placed on a readme file or on some dedicated page.

Thank you.
  • @macca You mean that yellow "NOTE TO USERS OF THE PREVIOUS PROPELLER MANUAL"? For me (using Vivaldi's built-in PDF viewer (which is basically the same as in Chrome and all the other browsers that use Chromium under the hood) on Win7) that only pops up when I hover over it and doesn't inhibit keyboard navigation at all.
  • Wuerfel_21 wrote: »
    @macca You mean that yellow "NOTE TO USERS OF THE PREVIOUS PROPELLER MANUAL"? For me (using Vivaldi's built-in PDF viewer (which is basically the same as in Chrome and all the other browsers that use Chromium under the hood) on Win7) that only pops up when I hover over it and doesn't inhibit keyboard navigation at all.

Exactly. I'm using Evince on Ubuntu 16.04LTS, and it pops up whenever I switch to the first page.