Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sorting Haribo Candy for an Ad Campaign — Parallax Forums

Sorting Haribo Candy for an Ad Campaign

InkSpotInkSpot Posts: 6
edited 2019-12-04 01:39 in Customer Projects
I was contacted in March (2019) to build one of my candy sorting machines for the Haribo candy company for an ad campaign in Paris, France. (My old username was Egenriether but when the site migrated I was unable to get my old username back.) I originally invented a Skittles sorter with a BS2 that due to some web popularity got Haribo to contact me 8 years after that project. forums.parallax.com/discussion/143557/bs2-powered-skittles-sorting-machine#latest Better late than never! I made the machine in a couple months and delivered it personally to Paris and took part in the filming of the campaign.

The campaign was basically this: A machine will sort 200 jellybeans of 6 different colors live everyday on social platforms. By participating on FB or Twitter you got a digital "ticket". This ticket had 6 numbers that corresponded to 6 colors of candy. If you got 4, 5, or 6 numbers correct you won tons of candy. The campaign turned out to be a huge success (both from a technical standpoint and commercially as well).

So I created this machine with a PropStick, the TAOS color sensor from PhiPi available on Parallax's website, and 3 Hitec servos. It's made of HDPE, PVC, acrylic and a machinable epoxy that I use on lots of projects.

Here is a video of the actual machine (youtube video posting function not working on post editor):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=U9xDOW28p5s

Here is the write-up on my website:

egenriether.com/dragimaniak.html

To see some of the videos from this campaign look here:

https://facebook.com/dragibus/

Thanks!

-Brian Egenriether

Comments

• @InkSpot Congratulations! That is a great project. Thanks for sharing.
  • Love it! The fact that you can handle soft, irregularly-shaped gummies with such precision is testament to your mechanical acumen. And your impeccably polished finish work makes it look like a commercial product. Congrats!

-Phil
  • Congratulations. Totally awesome creation.
  • +1
    Jim
  • Thanks everyone! Special thanks to @"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" I've used the TAOS module for a few different projects and it's a breeze to get going.
  • Now that was COOL! Well done.
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    Very nice!
  • @JRoark Thank you!
  • @"Don M" Thanks!
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805
    edited 2019-12-06 01:41
    Very cool!
    I like the white material construction ...
    Is that plastic or metal?
    How finished?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    WOW!!!
    Congratulations. Its' an amazing design, and looks gorgeous too!
  • Rayman wrote: »
    Very cool!
    I like the white material construction ...
    Is that plastic or metal?
    How finished?
    It's made of HDPE, PVC, acrylic and a machinable epoxy that I use on lots of projects.
  • Definitely the coolest thing I’ve seen in a while!
  • Thank you @Cluso99 @Rayman and @Publison !
    Just to give further details on the materials, the outer shell and 6-tube manifold at the bottom are made from Wood Epox by Abatron. These epoxy parts are molded first then sanded down and "dremeled" into shape once the epoxy cures. The inside of the tube manifold is lined with acrylic tubes like the sorting arm so that every surface the candy touches is made from a food-safe material (the epoxy is not). These tubes are just acrylic shot glasses formed to look like test tubes. They even came in a rack to look like a chemical experiment. The epoxy parts are spray painted white. The core structure is 4" PVC and all the black parts and base are HDPE.
  • Very interesting concept and very interesting project

Good job
  • @sam_sam_sam Thank you sir!