Looking for help solving "No Usable Serial Ports Found"... I searched this board and tried some suggestions.
My OS is Linux Mint 18 ( $uname -r >> 4.4.0-169-generic )
Using Wine ($wine version >> wine-4.0.2 - used aptget upgrade, not Synaptic to install 4.0.2) to launch BS2E
Using Parallax BS2Editor version 2.5.4
The power I am using on the BOE is 9VDC battery measuring 8.86VDC
I am trying two serial cables
- a DB9S-DB9P straight through cable (DTE to DCE, so no crossover)
- a USB-to-serial adapter
The USB-serial adapter configured for COM2 yields ($lsusb)
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
Also tried COM1 straight-through cable (since COM1 is DTE and BS2 is DCE (no need crossing 2 and 3) - the BOE has "loopback" on pins 6 and 7
- Did Loopback (short circuit) on pins 2 and 3 on COM2 (ttyUSB0) port through cable at DB9P and it successfully echoed my keystrokes
- Did Loopback (short circuit) on pins 2 and 3 on COM1 (ttyS0) port through cable at DB9P and it successfully echoed my keystrokes
- Removing loopback (from the cable I was testing - COM1 or COM2 DB9P stopped the keystroke echo
- I applied power to BS2 board and connected the USB-serial cable to BS2 BOE
- Started Linux >> WINE >> Basic Stamp Editor v2.5.4
- Tried BASIC Stamp Editor >> "Identify" button (f6) and receive "No Usable Serial Ports Found"
- Tried BASIC Stamp Editor >> Edit >> Preferences >> Debug Port >> COMM Port showed "NONE" with no choices in the dropdown
- Did $sudo adduser <me> dialout (maybe I needed su privs?), received "already member of 'dialout'"
- Downloaded from Parallax and Wine-installed USB driver - Install-Parallax-USB-Drivers-v2.12.16(r2).exe
Still have, "No Usable Serial Ports Found"
Thank you for any help.