Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Linux > Wine > BS2Editor > Identify > No Usable Serial Ports Found — Parallax Forums

Linux > Wine > BS2Editor > Identify > No Usable Serial Ports Found

Looking for help solving "No Usable Serial Ports Found"... I searched this board and tried some suggestions.

My OS is Linux Mint 18 ( $uname -r >> 4.4.0-169-generic )
Using Wine ($wine version >> wine-4.0.2 - used aptget upgrade, not Synaptic to install 4.0.2) to launch BS2E
Using Parallax BS2Editor version 2.5.4

The power I am using on the BOE is 9VDC battery measuring 8.86VDC

I am trying two serial cables
- a DB9S-DB9P straight through cable (DTE to DCE, so no crossover)
- a USB-to-serial adapter

The USB-serial adapter configured for COM2 yields ($lsusb)
     Bus 004 Device 002: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port

Also tried COM1 straight-through cable (since COM1 is DTE and BS2 is DCE (no need crossing 2 and 3) - the BOE has "loopback" on pins 6 and 7

- Did Loopback (short circuit) on pins 2 and 3 on COM2 (ttyUSB0) port through cable at DB9P and it successfully echoed my keystrokes
- Did Loopback (short circuit) on pins 2 and 3 on COM1 (ttyS0) port through cable at DB9P and it successfully echoed my keystrokes
- Removing loopback (from the cable I was testing - COM1 or COM2 DB9P stopped the keystroke echo
- I applied power to BS2 board and connected the USB-serial cable to BS2 BOE
- Started Linux >> WINE >> Basic Stamp Editor v2.5.4
- Tried BASIC Stamp Editor >> "Identify" button (f6) and receive "No Usable Serial Ports Found"
- Tried BASIC Stamp Editor >> Edit >> Preferences >> Debug Port >> COMM Port showed "NONE" with no choices in the dropdown
- Did $sudo adduser <me> dialout (maybe I needed su privs?), received "already member of 'dialout'"
- Downloaded from Parallax and Wine-installed USB driver - Install-Parallax-USB-Drivers-v2.12.16(r2).exe

Still have, "No Usable Serial Ports Found"

Thank you for any help.

Comments

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,273
    edited 2019-11-25 07:39
    Sorry to ask the most silly first question, but do you have the BOE 3-position switch in 1 or 2, and the green power led on ?

And is the Stamp installed with correct orientation, and double check all pins in the socket. Sometimes a sneaky pin can bend inward and miss the socket.

A good test to eliminate hardware issues would be to try with Windows BS IDE or ChromeBook Parallax IDE version 14.3.

(Edit: Updated the version number above- it was incorrectly typed in as 4.3; the 1 was missing!).
  • Another thing, if you have (or are willing) to install Chrome, then install ParallaxIDE from the Chrome app store.

When it runs, press CTRL I.
    That will pop up the adapter search menu.
  • - My board (BASIC Stamp []) has only a push-button for RESET.

- The large chip on the BASIC Stamp 2 is oriented away from the DB9, RESET and 9VDC connectors.

- I reseated the BS2 (wiggle up, wiggle down, all pins stayed inside the socket).

- Linux >> Wine uses the latest BSE (2.5.4).
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Another thing, if you have (or are willing) to install Chrome, then install ParallaxIDE from the Chrome app store.

When it runs, press CTRL I.
    That will pop up the adapter search menu.

I used minicom to verify the COM ports function (the loopback).
  • The Chrome app takes care of the dial permissions for you, so just figured that's a pretty reliable test, along with the USB to Serial adapter.

On the DB9 side of whatever adapter you choose, you need the TXD, RXD, DTR and GND pins connected through to the PC. Some adapters don't have the DTR routed.

The loopback is a good test, but doesn't conclusively prove if the issue is with the computer or on the Stamp side.

If you could test the hardware on another platform, you might save time figuring out where the issues are.

Hopefully some linux/wine experts will chime in later with other ideas.

That's all I can suggest for now! Hope you solve it soon.
  • (sorry for the delay... my internet died)

Okay. Can you describe where to find the Chrome app?

The BS2 board ties its DB9P pins 2, 3, and 4 to SOUT, SIN, ATN (respectively) of the BS2 IC with vias/runs. Pins 6 and 7 of the DB9P are jumpered by a via/run on the board.

Yes, linux/wine seems to be where I am failing (I tried verifying WINE had COMx privs). I have also tried a symbolic link (to change which tty represents which comX port)...

COMMAND:

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com2

RESULT:

sudo ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/<MY USERNAME>/.wine/dosdevices/com2': File exists

In the above, command, I was trying to see if I could link the ttyUSB to another COMx port... I would be happy with COM0.

(side help: how do I make a code block on this forum so my code doesn't look as ugly as I do?)

Loopback: Yes, my test only verifies Tx/Rx have continuity. I am unsure how to find if DTR (?) is being looped back by the BOE or if it even is connected in the USB part of my cable (USB-to-DB9P).

Thanks! I am happy with your help. Can't wait to make one LED to blink. (tech fail humor)
    The Chrome app takes care of the dial permissions for you, so just figured that's a pretty reliable test, along with the USB to Serial adapter.

Okay... I installed Chrome (Chromium in Linux) and downloaded the Parallax IDE app version 0.14.3... I am searching for the "identify" or "run"... but... um... lost...
  • Here is my BS2BOE circa 1995...
    (trying to make a code block here)

2448 x 3264 - 4M
    2448 x 3264 - 4M
  • Okay... "Chrome" sees my ttyUSB0, but does not see the BS2 (power, board, not a BS2 (?) or jumpering)
  • press CTRL and the I key.

Thats an I , the capital of i
    and not the number 1

• The "ctrl-I" did not work... I must have a different version.

I removed the ttyUSB0 and installed the simple wired cable... but when I click (+) then <v> Download, ttyS0 (COM1, with the simple DB9S-DB9P cable) does not show on the connected devices list.

Battery, BS2 or Board (I think it is now called the "homework" board, not the BOE)
  • V(DD) shows 4.99 on the BS2 pin, so it seems battery is present and the BS2 regulator is working.
  • your version is good.

clicking + and download will also scan the ports. Does it find your BS2 there when using the usb to serial cable?
    your version is good.

clicking + and download will also scan the ports. Does it find your BS2 there when using the usb to serial cable?

"No BS2 found"
  • I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point, other than trying a different stamp module.

The computer side seems fine. Software is making the connection to the pcb ok (it's detecting the rts/dsr pair), but doesn't get a reply from the stamp module serial data.
    Your usb-serial adapter is fine. (I have a bunch of those that I regularly use with Propeller, and that required the same 4 signals)

The Basic Stamp II carrier pcb is so simple, you'd see anything wrong I'm sure!
    So the only thing left is the stamp module itself.

I've asked the guys at Parallax tech support for any tips, but in the meantime I think that swapping the module would be the next step to take.
  • Okay. Possible bad BS2 (even as voltage regulator works). I have read (and forgotten) that the comm cable might need to have a proprietary pinning. I was thinking about putting the bs2 on a proto board (to eliminate my "homework" board) and jumper-wire from COM1 to the proto board (because my straight-through cable seems not to work). Are diagrams available for making a cable? Thank you for your help.

• Parallax have an adapter designed exactly for the purpose you need, and the schematic is available for download at the product page.

https://www.parallax.com/product/28030

Does that help ?

• IF you are ordering an adapter from Parallax, it might be worth getting a spare stamp module too:

https://www.parallax.com/product/bs2-ic

I just had a look back at the photo you posted earlier, and I can't see the usual Parallax markings... This is only a "maybe", but maybe that module you have came from an alternative source, which might explain why it can't talk to the Parallax stamp software. OR it might be genuine, and just genuinely blown!

If you had a scope, you could capture the serial data on rxd and txd (at the Basic Stamp side) when you try to download, and see what appears. That would show if the module is responding like it should.

Also... If you still have that straight-through serial cable from before, maybe try swapping the txd and rxd pins.

Not quite sure what else you could try- seems the solution is really close though!

• @808

Any chance of a bottom picture of the "BS2"?

Dave
  • davejames wrote: »
    @808

Any chance of a bottom picture of the "BS2"?

Dave

Yes, ont weekend. I left it at a friend's to help t.s. Tnx.
  • Also...
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Okay... but I will first try all I can to keep this working.
    maybe that module you have came from an alternative source,
    Ahaahahh. I hope not. I remember playing with it for a year... or do I... :(
    capture the data on rxd and txd (at the Basic Stamp side)
    I will try to resurrect my USB o-scope.
    maybe try swapping the txd and rxd pins.
    Did that. I assumed DTE-DTE, then read BS2 is DCE.

Thanks for helping. I look forward to getting back to this ont weekend.
  • Here is a photo of the underside of my BS2...
    1764 x 996 - 995K
  • 808 wrote: »
    Here is a photo of the underside of my BS2...

Well, that answers that question.

Interesting...it looks like that vintage rev of module had test pads. Anybody know about them?

Thanks.
  • Not really.
    What revision is this board? Depending on how old it is, it might have been designed that way. Those pads might have been used only for programming the module.

Incidentally I can certainly confirm the problems of WINE. I tried to use it on Slackware both 11.0 and 12.20, it seems it works properly on a 2.6 series kernel or later. But not for the program I chose. It was the desktop for the PDA properly known as the Palm. The installer ran properly, never mind the fact that the WINE thing needed to install a batch of items I knew that the program I needed would not need. It found the serial port on the host, but kept crashing badly on running the desktop, it seemed the APIs that the program needed were unknown to the WINE code and its developers. I gave up and switched the computer back to running Windows 98SE and installed things that way.

Dave where'd that big black cat come from who watched you do that message?
  • Captain Obvious (aka JRoark) calling Buck Rogers: Clearly that is a Rev E. (See the picture. Hehehe)
  • My software-driven o-scope is minus software (it was in storage with my BS2). Waiting on the software driver and gui for it.

Is there anything else I can connect and measure to get a live/dead indication? As above, the Vdd was 4.99vdc (8.6vdc battery power).

Sorry for my delay. I'm halfway done digging a 150 feet ditch... failing french drain.