Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New P2 Silicon - Page 18 — Parallax Forums

New P2 Silicon

Comments

• Ken Gracey wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    I've been away on vacation for the past several weeks. Did the new packaged P2 chips arrive on Oct 18 as planned?

Last Wednesday (10/16), Chip added this entry to the Design Status table in the Propeller 2 Documentation google doc:
    cgracey wrote:
    We will be receiving about 1,000 new-silicon P2 chips on 10/22.

Our plan is to build 193 more P2 Eval boards and supply small quantities of P2 chips to interested customers.
    193? That seems like an strange number. Why not something even like 200? Anyway, I'll certainly buy one.

191. That's how many bare PCBs we have in stock. Something has to determine the build quantity, either a part supply, human, or demand. This seems like a good number because many of the ES chips will be bought by people who are also planning products or boards of their own design.

Ken Gracey
    That makes sense. I'll have to make sure to get mine ordered quickly before they run out!

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    HyperRAM accessory needs added.
    I've been away on vacation for the past several weeks. Did the new packaged P2 chips arrive on Oct 18 as planned?

Last Wednesday (10/16), Chip added this entry to the Design Status table in the Propeller 2 Documentation google doc:
    cgracey wrote:
    We will be receiving about 1,000 new-silicon P2 chips on 10/22.

Our plan is to build 193 more P2 Eval boards and supply small quantities of P2 chips to interested customers.
    193? That seems like an strange number. Why not something even like 200? Anyway, I'll certainly buy one.

191. That's how many bare PCBs we have in stock. Something has to determine the build quantity, either a part supply, human, or demand. This seems like a good number because many of the ES chips will be bought by people who are also planning products or boards of their own design.

Ken Gracey
    Definitely, I have a couple of designs in mind. One is basically a self learning controller for an elevator, with the ability to log events into an SD card. That is pretty much impossible with a P1, due to the required memory size. I have other applications that will require speed, on the other hand.

In short, I'm depending on Parallax on this one! :)

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    samuell wrote: »
    Definitely, I have a couple of designs in mind. One is basically a self learning controller for an elevator, with the ability to log events into an SD card. That is pretty much impossible with a P1, due to the required memory size
    so you have not tried Tachyon then ... ?
  • samuellsamuell Posts: 554
    edited 2019-10-22 17:36
    MJB wrote: »
    Definitely, I have a couple of designs in mind. One is basically a self learning controller for an elevator, with the ability to log events into an SD card. That is pretty much impossible with a P1, due to the required memory size
    Indeed, no. But I doubt it would make any difference. 32KB is too small for what I want to do.

The program needs to be able to write into a FAT formatted SD card, besides other things. It has to support an RC timer as well. I will also require lots of inputs and outputs, and support for lots of protocols. The solution has to be scalable. This has to be implemented into a real elevator, with all the bells and whistles, and also pass certification.

• samuell wrote: »
    Indeed, no. But I doubt it would make any difference. 32KB is too small for what I want to do.

The program needs to be able to write into a FAT formatted SD card, besides other things. It has to support an RC timer as well. I will also require lots of inputs and outputs, and support for lots of protocols. The solution has to be scalable. This has to be implemented into a real elevator, with all the bells and whistles, and also pass certification.

Sounds like a job for Tachyon.
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235

The program needs to be able to write into a FAT formatted SD card, besides other things. It has to support an RC timer as well. I will also require lots of inputs and outputs, and support for lots of protocols. The solution has to be scalable. This has to be implemented into a real elevator, with all the bells and whistles.

SD with FAT is standard in Tachyon
    you mean RC measurements? .. thats a oneliner.

@"Peter Jakacki" uses it for real industrial applications.
  • I've seen some comments about a Propeller expo in Rocklin. Has this been scheduled? What is the date?
  • David Betz wrote: »
    I've seen some comments about a Propeller expo in Rocklin. Has this been scheduled? What is the date?

No date for that yet. It would be determined by having fully working P2 chips (we expect the next round of P2 engineering samples to be the final part), six months to plan, and interest among the users. I suspect this last item would be the easiest to achieve.

Spring is a possibility at this stage, but we may not know until around December.

Ken Gracey
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    No date for that yet. It would be determined by having fully working P2 chips (we expect the next round of P2 engineering samples to be the final part)

By 'next round' you mean the current fab run, being packaged now ?
    Are any silicon changes planned ?
    When do you press the 'volume production' button ? - ie what lead time might users expect ?

• jmg wrote: »
    No date for that yet. It would be determined by having fully working P2 chips (we expect the next round of P2 engineering samples to be the final part)

By 'next round' you mean the current fab run, being packaged now ?
    Are any silicon changes planned ?
    When do you press the 'volume production' button ? - ie what lead time might users expect ?

Yes, the current fab run, being packaged now.

No changes to silicon planned that I'm aware of.

There is no date set for pressing the "volume order" button. Chip will need to make that decision after we get the next round of boards and chips out to a wider number of users and receive their feedback on these forums. But, when he says "order up" I'll run for a cheeseburger. . .wait, I'll place a purchase order and wait about 12 weeks for chips. I'm only guessing here, but I think if everything works out as planned (and the forum history shows 10 years of unplanned activity, so this post will be dated as soon as I submit it) that Chip might be ready to order production parts late December and we'd have them around April 2nd (not the 1st) 2020.

Chip will reply if he envisions something different; just be aware that scheduling isn't his primary expertise.

Ken Gracey
    I've seen some comments about a Propeller expo in Rocklin. Has this been scheduled? What is the date?

No date for that yet. It would be determined by having fully working P2 chips (we expect the next round of P2 engineering samples to be the final part), six months to plan, and interest among the users. I suspect this last item would be the easiest to achieve.

Spring is a possibility at this stage, but we may not know until around December.

Ken Gracey
    Spring sounds good. I'll keep my figures crossed!

... just be aware that scheduling isn't his primary expertise.
    Ken Gracey

I had to smile reading that. Honestly Ken, you are doing a almost impossible (hording cat's seems easy) and still wonderful job in supporting the P2. And after 10 long years your brother finally has done it, again. You can and should rightfully smile from ear to ear, the result is simply amazing.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • roglohrogloh Posts: 5,122
    edited 2019-10-23 12:33
    msrobots wrote: »
    You can and should rightfully smile from ear to ear, the result is simply amazing.
    I would wholeheartedly agree, this little thing is a fabulous chip with everything I am learning it can do, now that I'm really using it. Will take some years to master though...

It really is an Amiga of micro-controllers. :lol:
    A Cog is a pretty fancy Copper! :P
  • The P2 chips arrived at Parallax this morning. Do you want to see an unboxing video?

Ken Gracey
  • Yes Yes Yes!
  • Do you need to even ask??

Is there a prize for the closest guess to the incoming number of chips? I'm guessing 1111
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    The P2 chips arrived at Parallax this morning. Do you want to see an unboxing video?
    Silly question .... ;)

The P2 chips arrived at Parallax this morning. Do you want to see an unboxing video?

Ken Gracey

How many milliseconds will it delay prep and shipping?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2019-10-23 20:31
    Must be important - the UPS office guys even brought them over!

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2019-10-23 20:51
    Cool! How many did you get? The layer you opened looked like only a few.
    edited 2019-10-23 21:05
    There is another layer under that David. Presumably more. Err, it says Qty 100 on the sealed pack. And only one pack in the box. Maybe the other box has more or not all delivered.

Very cool Ken. Well done all.

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2019-10-23 21:04
    We have 1,000 chips. Preliminary plans are to offer them in four-packs as samples and on P2 Evaluation Boards.

The four-packs will be limited one per customer (unless exceptions are made) and they will be costly at $100/box. I realize nobody is asking us to justify the cost, but even the handling, setup, packaging of a small number of chips is very expensive for us to manage. Anybody who is interested in the details can ask me for a better explanation and I'll provide it.

Ken Gracey

b3438c2bffffdbd5bf0ec9f2977f23.jpeg
    We have 1,000 chips. Preliminary plans are to offer them in four-packs as samples and on P2 Evaluation Boards.

The four-packs will be limited one per customer (unless exceptions are made) and they will be costly at $100/box. I realize nobody is asking us to justify the cost, but even the handling, setup, packaging of a small number of chips is very expensive for us to manage. Anybody who is interested in the details can ask me for a better explanation and I'll provide it.

Ken Gracey

b3438c2bffffdbd5bf0ec9f2977f23.jpeg
    I'll take a P2 ES board please. Where do I place my order? :smile:

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,798
    This is all too fast, I don't have my board designed yet :(
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-10-23 21:26
    Great news. I'll pay $100 for a four pack, but chips signed by Chip and Ken. I'll send the silver Sharpie to Rockland. :)
  • Yes, sign me up for a 32 bit 32 cog Bento box, please
  • The “Chip Gracey Silver Sharpie Edition” for the win!!! Factory tested with 100% recycled electrons, because todays COGs rev higher and run hotter... (or something like that)