How to use the mic on PropBOE

I have an interesting project involving frequency detection and isolation(audible).

I need a driver of spin/pasm type. I also need info.
Windows 10 Home:
Propeller Tool 1.3.2, BASIC Stamp Editor 2.5.4, Javelin Stamp IDE x.x.x, Arduino IDE, PST
Hardware:
BASIC Stamp Board of Education, Propeller Board of Education, Propeller Project Board, Propeller Mini

Me, a programmer in English class, asking for grammar help: “What is the syntax for this statement?”

Comments

• There are several sample programs in the OBEX under Speech/Sound like this. Also look at the application note on sigma-delta analog to digital conversion (AN008) which is used for the microphone.
  • Sorry for the late follow-up. Can this object detect and isolate multiple frequencies and log their intensity to a memory address?
    Windows 10 Home:
    Propeller Tool 1.3.2, BASIC Stamp Editor 2.5.4, Javelin Stamp IDE x.x.x, Arduino IDE, PST
    Hardware:
    BASIC Stamp Board of Education, Propeller Board of Education, Propeller Project Board, Propeller Mini

Me, a programmer in English class, asking for grammar help: “What is the syntax for this statement?”
  • It sounds like you want much more than just a driver. It sounds like you want a Fourier transform sort of program. The OBEX has one that could be used as a model, but you'd need to understand the techniques and German as well (leaves me out). Maybe someone else can recommend a reference with examples, maybe in C.
  • My idea is a VGA-based audio visualizer reading off of the mic.
    Windows 10 Home:
    Hardware:

• My idea is a VGA-based audio visualizer reading off of the mic.

If you mean producing a real time Fourier transform display on VGA using the P1 (or even P2) I think you will find that it does not have the number crunching horsepower to accomplish the task. Even using the FFT would most likely be more than it can do.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • So, could the prop precalculate the transform from a .wav file, then play the .wav while simultaneously displaying the transform by reading it from memory?
    Windows 10 Home:
    Hardware:

• I would only want to chunk frequencies in groups of around 300Hz to 400Hz difference. This way I could capture the audible spectrum(20Hz-20kHz) with only 50 bars on screen
    Windows 10 Home:
    Hardware:

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,332
    edited 2019-09-06 - 18:03:10
    I would only want to chunk frequencies in groups of around 300Hz to 400Hz difference. This way I could capture the audible spectrum(20Hz-20kHz) with only 50 bars on screen

That might be possible if you use filters to separate the frequencies and ADC's to measure the power of each band. That requires a lot of filter and ADC circuitry for 50 channels though. Typical high end HiFi units use fewer bands with different band widths for each range.

EDIT - I wonder if there is a reasonably priced DSP available to do this.
  • So, chock it down at 25ish channels, make some adc/frequency filters, connect them to the prop, display them?
    Windows 10 Home:
    Hardware:

• So, chock it down at 25ish channels, make some adc/frequency filters, connect them to the prop, display them?

Yes, something like that would work, however since many adc's come in 8 channel versions using a multiple of 8 channels might be a good idea. Perhaps a modular design using a small board with 8 filters and an 8 channel adc. That way you could add additional boards to increase the number of channels and use a dedicated cog for each board if required.
  • Yes, then we could have as many boards as pins.(as soon as the P2 is done, we need a 64io P1!)

I have blank tht proto boards in my drawer, about 30x17 holes, 2.54mm spacing. Just need to source some adcs and some filters!
    Windows 10 Home:
    Hardware: