Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Future of propeller 1 — Parallax Forums

Future of propeller 1

First of all I think the propeller 1 is great microcontroller!

It would also be great to have the propeller 1 with various combinations of:
-more ram,
-more cogs,
-more pins,
-flash.

I know about almost finished propeller 2, but as electronics hobbyist, it seams out of my league. Of course something like the flip module (which is also great!) with propeller 2 would be nice, but it would probably cost a lot.

I believe also that a modern c++ compiler is a must. And the lack of any (close to the metal) c++ compiler for the propeller 2 sets back its usefulness.

So what do you think?

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    For the size of memory that the prop2 has, C is as good as C++. That said, the fussy will make enough noise and C++ will be coming anyway. It's very early days still.

You're right about the chip package though. I think there will be a smaller package with less pins at a later date that won't have the thermal pad but, until then, most people will be buying prebuilt dev boards.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    byrtolet wrote: »
    First of all I think the propeller 1 is great microcontroller!

It would also be great to have the propeller 1 with various combinations of:
    -more ram,
    -more cogs,
    -more pins,
    -flash.

I know about almost finished propeller 2, but as electronics hobbyist, it seams out of my league. Of course something like the flip module (which is also great!) with propeller 2 would be nice, but it would probably cost a lot.

Did you look at the P2D2 module ? That is very like FLiP, and there is no reason for that to 'cost a lot'.

I looked at a DIP64 0.9" 'larger flip' but that's always going to drop some IO pins, and is getting 'bulky.
    My personal preference for a module is a P2D2-size, with a RaspPi pinout, as that allows many Display modules to connect directly, and allows a P2 to slave to a Pi.

I believe also that a modern c++ compiler is a must. And the lack of any (close to the metal) c++ compiler for the propeller 2 sets back its usefulness.
    So what do you think?
    P2 already has an impressive range of software, and more will come. Software is easy to add.

• The Propeller 1 chip and the FLiP module are my "go-to" microcontroller chips. Rugged, easy on power usage, priced right, configurable, ease of programming with the tried and true Propeller Tools. Yes, I have run out of memory on occasions, but I will always run out of memory no matter how much you give me!!! Most of the time the memory issue is feature creep. Currently I have two commercial products in the pipe line using the Prop FLiP module. Like with the current P2 development, these manufacturing & business things are challenging and just take time to come to market. I will be at most major Hamfests and Maker Faires in the near future with products using the Prop FLiP modules...
  • Can't believe that Beau's high-speed net hasn't taken off. Darned good idea, methinks.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    edited 2019-08-28 23:46
    Doesn't PropGCC include a C++ compiler? I think it does...
    Also, Chip used to say that P2 would cost about the same as P1. I find that hard to believe, but we'll see...

Also, P2 has already BASIC and microPython. So, I'm pretty sure it will be inviting to hobbyists at some point...
    I think it's going to have BlocklyProp too later on down the road...
  • Rayman wrote: »
    Doesn't PropGCC include a C++ compiler?

PropGCC has indeed a c++ compiler, although rather dated one.

I was speaking about things I need - either a more powerful propeller 1, for which propgcc will work, or a propeller 2 with, a proper compiler, and a proper package/module.

• byrtolet wrote: »
    Rayman wrote: »

I was speaking about things I need - either a more powerful propeller 1, for which propgcc will work, or a propeller 2 with, a proper compiler, and a proper package/module.
    P2 does have the RISC-V C/C++ compiler that is up to date. As Eric has mentioned many times, it runs at nearly native P2 speed since the RISC-V instructions are JIT compiled into P2 PASM code.

• David Betz wrote: »

P2 does have the RISC-V C/C++ compiler that is up to date. As Eric has mentioned many times, it runs at nearly native P2 speed since the RISC-V instructions are JIT compiled into P2 PASM code.

The only thing I'd take issue with is the "nearly native", since on a lot of benchmarks it's faster than all the other ("native") P2 compilers, sometimes by quite a lot :).
  • ersmith wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »

The only thing I'd take issue with is the "nearly native", since on a lot of benchmarks it's faster than all the other ("native") P2 compilers, sometimes by quite a lot :).
    Sorry. What I meant by "nearly native" is nearly as fast as native P2 assembly code would be. In any case, it's performance is impressive.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    Sounded like you need Linux for the risc compiler for p2, right?
  • Rayman wrote: »
    Sounded like you need Linux for the risc compiler for p2, right?

I think we're starting to wander off topic, so I'll respond at: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/170295/riscvp2-a-c-and-c-compiler-for-p2#latest
  • Hello,

I din't know RISC-V C/C++ gcc compiler brings near native performance on P2. Thank you for pointing that out.

So I'll just join the group looking forward to P2's production...