Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"Robby the Robot and Altaira from the Classic Movie - Forbidden Planet (1956)" - Basic Stamp Control — Parallax Forums

"Robby the Robot and Altaira from the Classic Movie - Forbidden Planet (1956)" - Basic Stamp Control

mtrappettmtrappett Posts: 13
edited 2019-07-27 05:41 in Customer Projects
"Robby the Robot and Altaira from the Classic Movie - Forbidden Planet (1956)"

I used a Parallax Basic Stamp, fiber-optics and LEDs to provide the illumination for Robby. The Basic Stamp I programmed to control the sequencing of all the lights.

Forbidden Planet I think was such an awesome movie, especially considering the year it was filmed. Robby the Robot is the quintessential robot of all time together with others such as R2D2, and so on. I watched this when I was a kid, and it inspired me to build this model. The Basic Stamp provided a wonderful means of controlling everything on the robot!

Hope you like it! :-)

Comments

• RossHRossH Posts: 5,336
    Ooooh! :smile:
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    @mtrappett

Welcome to the Forums! Awesome project!
  • RossH wrote: »
    Ooooh! :smile:

Thank you! :smiley:
  • Whit wrote: »
    @mtrappett

Welcome to the Forums! Awesome project!

Thank you, and I am pleased you like it!! I made a quick video of it.

• Love it. Forbidden Planet is my idea of SciFi but that's not what i get when i select SciFi on Netflix. I end up with vampires and zombies or politically correct remakes !?'"*!;! The Krell beasts have been unleashed! Save us Robbie!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    FANTASTIC model! Amazing detail, including the figure and deco.

WOW! I'm a fan!
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2019-07-28 08:42
    Love it. Forbidden Planet is my idea of SciFi but that's not what i get when i select SciFi on Netflix. I end up with vampires and zombies or politically correct remakes !?'"*!;! The Krell beasts have been unleashed! Save us Robbie!

Look at youtube for user DUST, he is collecting nice SCIFY short films
    here some nice example

Mike
  • Now who here remembers which play by the Bard it is based on? Hint: There's an explanation in the crime scene in the opening chapters of a certain Sherlock Holmes mystery novel. And it takes place in London......
  • The Tempest, duh. As was the much different movie Prospero's Books.
  • localroger wrote: »
    The Tempest, duh. As was the much different movie Prospero's Books.

Very good localroger. Now how quickly can you leave for New Chicago? The prize is one week there.

Did you by chance look up my reference in "The West End Horror" as written by Nicholas Meyer (but writing as Doctor Watson)? Sherlock explains that the costumes for the productions of the Tempest were very expensive, and thus the scenery did get rather wet and those costumes were too expensive to replace every time. Incidentally in the scene, the victim is pointing to a scene in Romeo and Juliet where Mercutio calls out "A plague on both your houses!" before he dies? Its there where my reference takes place.
    ----
    And this message is being sponsored by the New Chicago offices of the local planetary government.
  • @mtrappett

Can you do me a favor and explain your excellent circuit there? And is that the battery box with the switch on it? If that's the case then it is upside down, the switch is on the top, and the battery box screw is on the bottom.
  • localroger wrote: »
    The Tempest, duh. As was the much different movie Prospero's Books.

Very good localroger.
    What steps did you take to reach that conclusion? And did you by chance read the book that I was thinking of? (I deleted my original response before sending it.)
  • Love it. Forbidden Planet is my idea of SciFi but that's not what i get when i select SciFi on Netflix. I end up with vampires and zombies or politically correct remakes !?'"*!;! The Krell beasts have been unleashed! Save us Robbie!

I know what you mean! I loved Forbidden Planet... actually still do. I think it is a time-less classic, and yes, I agree that it is the definition of Sci-Fi. I think they got it all exactly right. It also has a creepy kind of feel to it with the excellent electronic music that in my view adds to it so much. I think the monster from the ID was also really well done thanks to some work from the Walt Disney Studios.

Thanks again for your nice comments :smiley:
  • @mtrappett

Can you do me a favor and explain your excellent circuit there? And is that the battery box with the switch on it? If that's the case then it is upside down, the switch is on the top, and the battery box screw is on the bottom.

Sure, no problem. I programmed the Basic Stamp to generate outputs to drive the LEDs. The program basically sequences the LEDs according to the timing I noted down from Robby in the movie. The Stamp's outputs are unable to drive multiple LEDs without causing possible damage. I took a look at the specs at the time and it appears that one LED is the maximum that it can handle safely. I used a opto-isolator chip that in effect amplifies the output current enough to drive several LEDs at once. You are correct, the plastic case holds the battery and yes, that is the main switch that powers it all on. I built a simple base to house all the electronics from cardboard and painted it to match the plastic base from the kit. Hope that helps a bit? :smiley:
  • I am a pretty crazy fan of Robby I guess :wink: I also did a short animation with the same theme. I modeled Robby from scratch in Maya.

• erco wrote: »
    FANTASTIC model! Amazing detail, including the figure and deco.

WOW! I'm a fan!

Thank you, and I am pleased you like it! :smiley:
  • @mtrappett actually yes it does help.

I found Forbidden Planet the best method around to properly tell the story of the Tempest for our time.

Um, erco, what prompted both cats to be watching you? (Plus the twin girls.)