Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servos with Higher RPM — Parallax Forums

Servos with Higher RPM

All, my son is using the Parallax high speed continuous servo motors (900-00025). They have a max RPM of 180. Are there any other servo brands/models that are plug and play with the WX board but offer a higher top end RPM. He has a competition coming up where speed matters and am looking to see if there are other servo options available. Thanks!

Comments

• Hello jreile,

You could also move the jumper over from Vdd to Vin to make the servos go even faster. Depending on the course, you'll need to consider the various states that the sensors report. Usually, these competitions have some challenges in them like broken lines, objects in the way, the need to navigate towards a particular direction which has more light (or based on a compass).

After a bit of programming you should see the robot at least moving this fast.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
  • I opted for stepper motors instead. They scream.

Mike
  • Well, steppers are fun too.

But I'm waiting for a brushless motor line follower.

Ken Gracey
  • try line following with your elev8. its brushless. you could use existing roads as lines to follow...

Enjoy!

Mike
  • Using stepper motors isn't a direct swap though, correct? The steppers require some other pieces of hardware to function properly?
  • Also, we are already using Vin instead of Vdd. Are there any battery packs that are larger then the 5AA battery packs?
  • jreile wrote: »
    Also, we are already using Vin instead of Vdd. Are there any battery packs that are larger then the 5AA battery packs?

Yes, check Amazon. Keep in mind your servo lifespan will be limited by a voltage input higher than what the motor is rated for. Might not be much of an issue if you ran them at 9V for a contest, but I wouldn't expect them to last for days at that voltage level. It's all part of learning, though, so get a couple of spares and find that maximum power. The consequences are e-waste and money.

Ken Gracey

• High speed Parallax servos with 5 cells is the fastest reasonable solution.
    If you want unreasonable, get a pair of Futaba S9254 servos. They must be modified for continuous rotation and must be run on 5 volts. The 5 volt regulator on the Board of Education works great, but we have had problems powering the servos with the switching power supply on Propeller boards.
    If you want more unreasonable speed, some of our students developed a "Speed Kit" that uses geared motors, driver chip, and PIC to replace the servos.

1412 x 1098 - 137K
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    If you want more unreasonable speed, some of our students developed a "Speed Kit" that uses geared motors, driver chip, and PIC to replace the servos.

My thoughts exactly, gearmotors are widely available and come in a much wider range of ratios/speeds than servos. Any number of motor driver boards & H-bridges can be used. One obscure little Chinese board caught my attention years ago. It takes servo-style PULSOUT commands to drive a pair of motors. I bought a few direct from Feetech and they work great, but they are hard to get.