Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Evaluation Board - Accessory Set 64006-ES - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

P2 Evaluation Board - Accessory Set 64006-ES

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    Seairth wrote: »
    And these will work with the acrylic enclosure we are all using?

I hope so! This image shows how much interference there should be. All that is needed is to take off the sharp corner.

Breakout%20PCB%20interference.jpg
    492 x 800 - 97K
    And here is a render showing how the boards attach...

P2-EVAL%2001%20s.png
    885 x 600 - 812K
  • W9GFO wrote: »
    Seairth wrote: »
    And these will work with the acrylic enclosure we are all using?

I hope so! This image shows how much interference there should be. All that is needed is to take off the sharp corner.

Yup! Two seconds on the belt sander. :)
    Publison wrote: »
    Yup! Two seconds on the belt sander. :)
    ...or about five seconds with a nail file.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,614
    edited 2019-01-04 05:31
    Why not a stereo mic input? (EDIT: 5 RGBHV pins for VGA + 2 for stereo headphone out + 1 for mono mic in = all 8 pins; there's no extra pin for a stereo mic. I guess the four RCA jacks can be used for unamplified stereo in and out.)

What happened to the longer prototype board shown in W9GFO's rendering?

Is there any possibility of a second set that has more prototyping boards, as well as a dual-header HyperRAM board and perhaps a larger dual-header prototyping board? Somebody suggested a while ago that a board be made that plugs into a breadboard and connects to the 64000-ES board via a 12-pin ribbon cable - is this a possibility?
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Why not a stereo mic input?

Yes i2s to 'something audio' is another missing item that should be included in tests.

• Why not a stereo mic input?

Is there any possibility of a second set that has more prototyping boards, as well as a dual-header HyperRAM board and perhaps a larger dual-header prototyping board? Somebody suggested a while ago that a board be made that plugs into a breadboard and connects to the 64000-ES board via a 12-pin ribbon cable - is this a possibility?

My guess these files will be available Open Source Diptrace files. Anyone would be able to modify the existing boards to their need. The BOM should have the part numbers.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,614
    edited 2019-01-03 22:20
    Off-topic, but why does Parallax still use Diptrace for open source board designs when KiCAD is superior and open source?
    Off-topic, but why does Parallax still use Diptrace for open source board designs when KiCAD is superior and open source?

I think it's that old thing called inertia - sticking with what you know...

Not sure what you mean, it is what Von posted an image of in the other thread - forums.parallax.com/discussion/169509/p2-evaluation-board-prototype-board-64005-es#latest

• They used to be a re-seller for Diptrace and I'm sure they built some big libraries based on it. It's harder for a corporation to change their software than a hobbyist.
  • W9GFO wrote: »

Not sure what you mean, it is what Von posted an image of in the other thread - forums.parallax.com/discussion/169509/p2-evaluation-board-prototype-board-64005-es#latest

Oh, sorry, I didn't see the other thread. Thanks for pointing it out to me.
  • Publison wrote: »
    They used to be a re-seller for Diptrace and I'm sure they built some big libraries based on it. It's harder for a corporation to change their software than a hobbyist.

Not only harder, but exponentially expensive.

Over time, an amazing set of processes will end up dependent on whatever CAD system and workflow kicked the whole thing off.

I've been a part of some migrations. Not ECAD, but essentially the same set of problems, and a bigger, sometimes a little more painful MCAD data.

I have never seen one of those come in on budget. And that's just hard costs. Soft costs, just general crappiness going on, tends to linger for sometimes years.

And after that?

The old system tends to get virtualized (and some CAD vendors are amazingly hostile to doing that --to the point of having to do some hacks to get it working), and made available for a decade or so. And it's not just an archive. People end up tapping that resource over and over.

Reasons include:

Error correction.

Filling in missing data.

Sustaining engineering. It's super rare for old projects to be moved forward, unless they are going to get a serious redesign, or serve as the basis for some derivative design.

Because of all that, I tend to get a little nervous about "in the cloud" CAD. For us, and small firms, not building things that are too complex, cloud CAD will probably end well, probably. Maybe.

If it doesn't, or a vendor just makes something go away? Scary stuff.

BTW, this is the primary reason Open Source tools have not made the inroads we all expected in the 90's.

On the upside, be thankful you can run all that stuff today! It's a great time to be into this hobby.

Just digging around this, and things might not be so bad...

I see for DipTrace 'what's new'
    Version 3.3 (Oct 22, 2018)
    - KiCAD Schematic and PCB import.
    - KiCAD Library and Footprint import.
    Version 2.1 (February 10, 2010)
    P-CAD ASCII, PADS Import/Export improvements.
    Version 2.0 (February 17, 2009)
    P-CAD ASCII Import/Export in Schematic and PCB Layout.

KiCAD imports PCAD ASCII quite well, into the PCB side - eg I imported P2D2 fine that way. FWIR fairly minor issues around plane-fill priority.

If Parallax publish the P2 Eval in P-CAD ASCII, that would be easy to try.
    The fact DipTrace can now import KiCAD (since october) makes a round-trip check possible.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    It's why I still use Protel 95/98 :smiley:
  • Electrodude wrote: »

I also like it because it has a nice Digikey Library that you can import.
  • Since there seem to be some kind of trace length or capacitance issues with the built-in SD socket, can we get an accessory board that will work for high speed SD?
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2019-01-09 12:59
    David Betz wrote: »
    Cool! Thanks for explaining this. I have never seen a connector like that.

I discovered those connectors in old hard disc drives - the whole controller PCB just plugs onto dupont
    header pins using them, very neat and I'm sure it allowed the drive hardware to be automatically tested on some
    jig before the PCB was mounted. I would imagine the entire assembly process is robotic.

I've seen 2mm and 0.1" pitches in drives. With long pins you could even stack boards - not seen that though.
  • Oooh... fresh from the oven...
    480 x 577 - 445K
  • Send a panel FedEx. I have a pizza cutter. :)
  • aw, would love to. But they've not had their toppings just yet !!!
  • :)
    2560 x 1600 - 327K
  • 8 slices of I/O
    795 x 821 - 797K
  • Ha, classic!...

Looks good, can't wait.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-01-10 21:10
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    8 slices of I/O

Not a rendering, correct?

We have our octopus!
  • correct. 'Tis the real deal.
  • Looks great!!

Lots to play with. I think that even I could have made the Goertzel board LOL
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,620
    edited 2019-01-10 23:43
    Have you or Chip tried the Goertzel board yet, Von Szarvas? To get it to work well 'in the air', like Chip's demo video', it may need a guard ring around the received, to separate the transmitters from the receiver. However it'll still likely work fine at close range.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2019-01-11 01:11
    what connector is on the serial host board? looks like a cube.

Looking at the control board I see 4 switches is it possible to still use the other pins on the connector? My question is if one can at least put some jumper wire in the connector from the top?

Looking quite good overall, I definitely need a set. And additional 7 of the LED boards. 448 LEDs...

Mike
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2019-01-11 01:15
    msrobots,
    serial host: It's a double USB A port jack. Two USB A ports stacked one on top of the other (like on some of the ras pi's and most PC motherboard back panels).
    control board: it has 4 buttons and 4 LEDs (one by each button).