Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I want a P2! And how are we going to get these to you? - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

I want a P2! And how are we going to get these to you?

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    edited 2018-10-01 22:55
    Seairth wrote: »
    .... Instead, I'm looking for something that would elicit an "I can't do that with my favorite chip..." kind of response. It seems to me that the most impressive thing we can convey visually is the sheer variety of possibilities, and the ease with which those possibilities can be achieved. This doesn't mean "put everything we can imagine on a giant demo board," rather "make a Grove-like board with a representative set of daughter boards that can be arbitrarily plugged in to any slot." Make sure the daughter boards include analog and digital functions, USB (without a TTL serial interface chip), etc.
    Ah, ok, that's likely to be the Smart Pin Cells that will elicit the "I can't do that with my favorite chip..."..
    and those pin cells can also largely self-test, reducing the need for daughter boards.

eg any of these are way above the generic MCU ability...

~ 30 UARTS (!) should be possible, and those can be compile switched to be self testing (loop back echo, or ring-connect)
    ~ 60 Servo out should be possible. Unsure about self-tests there, maybe the streamer can logic-probe capture 32 pins, 1000 samples per period or similar ?
    ~ 60 PWM out, tho servo gives users the idea...
    ~ 15 Axis Stepper Motor Driver - MicroStep Sine/Cosine DAC + QuadEncoder readback - I think that can self-test by Quad Encode map to DAC pins.
    ~ 60 Servo In, capture of Period
    ~ 30 Reciprocal Frequency Counters, very wide dynamic range, 8 decimal digits / second precision.
    ~ 30 high precision % Duty Cycle captures

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    edited 2018-10-01 22:31
    I'm more than willing to buy a board.
    Actually, maybe a few...

Something like P2D2 with a Propeller Platform type arrangement for access to all pins is great for integrating into projects.
  • I would like to purchase one of these boards or at least the chip. Prefer the most minimal configuration on board possible to so as to not be limited by unneeded "stuff" on the board. Just power, clock, header for pins to whatever. Thanks to all for one 7734 of a lot of hard work!
  • TonyB_TonyB_ Posts: 2,105
    edited 2018-10-02 01:14
    jmg wrote: »
    Seairth wrote: »
    .... Instead, I'm looking for something that would elicit an "I can't do that with my favorite chip..." kind of response. It seems to me that the most impressive thing we can convey visually is the sheer variety of possibilities, and the ease with which those possibilities can be achieved. This doesn't mean "put everything we can imagine on a giant demo board," rather "make a Grove-like board with a representative set of daughter boards that can be arbitrarily plugged in to any slot." Make sure the daughter boards include analog and digital functions, USB (without a TTL serial interface chip), etc.
    Ah, ok, that's likely to be the Smart Pin Cells that will elicit the "I can't do that with my favorite chip..."..
    and those pin cells can also largely self-test, reducing the need for daughter boards.

eg any of these are way above the generic MCU ability...

~ 30 UARTS (!) should be possible, and those can be compile switched to be self testing (loop back echo, or ring-connect)
    ~ 60 Servo out should be possible. Unsure about self-tests there, maybe the streamer can logic-probe capture 32 pins, 1000 samples per period or similar ?
    ~ 60 PWM out, tho servo gives users the idea...
    ~ 15 Axis Stepper Motor Driver - MicroStep Sine/Cosine DAC + QuadEncoder readback - I think that can self-test by Quad Encode map to DAC pins.
    ~ 60 Servo In, capture of Period
    ~ 30 Reciprocal Frequency Counters, very wide dynamic range, 8 decimal digits / second precision.
    ~ 30 high precision % Duty Cycle captures

The DAC in every pin and multiplicity of cores could be demonstrated by setting up a video wall of eight displays (3 x 3 with one missing) plus eight pairs of stereo speakers driven by one P2 running video & audio demos.
  • I would like to buy one or two boards from Parallax with the P2 installed. Over the years I have used about a dozen P1's for my hobby interests.
  • I'd also like to buy a board/boards, but probably first when you have have something either replacing Flip and/or the ActivityBoards. Still squeezing probably only 5 % out of what a P1 can do, but memory is sometimes an issue with C.
  • I would like to buy a board or two, and probably some P1 chips too. Like others have said before I'd prefer to have a minimal board, so that we are not constrained by PCB hardware ... (one experiment I want to do is to change the 20MHz crystal with a 19.44MHz one :wink: )
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    Any news on this front ?

Just to continue with the German...
    Real silicon is a lot more persuasive than the FPGA, but it still needs to look appealing (a lot of first impressions are made on looks alone)

"Außerlichkeiten sind nicht alles aber 100 % von was man sieht" like a former colleague of mine would say ;-). (Looks are not everything but 100 % of what you see)
  • I'd to buy a board when they are available. I joined this forum by pure chance 18 months ago and I have never used any Parallax hardware!
  • We still use P1 regularly and would welcome P2 tremendously as we get fedup in our projects. We would welcome P2 to get rid of using ARM and MBed RTOS stuff for complex parallel applications.

I am not sure where we could contribute here in the Netherlands than promoting this great news as much as possible and launch new products on our website and in our upcoming mobile robot projects.

But we definitely will buy a few of the early boards to get started.
  • AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 1,055
    edited 2018-10-13 22:29
    I might buy a board, but only when I have time on my hands. Somebody mentioned they were making a PropTool2, I will likely wait for that as well. I should probably also finish learning the p1 first.
  • I've been waiting close to 10 years for a bigger faster Propeller chip. So add me to the list of early adopter. : ]
  • I'm interested in purchasing a board :)

• I‘d buy a board, too.
  • Since everyone else has been speaking up, I would like to purchase a board to see if one P2 can replace the 7 P1s in my project....
  • Just chiming in here. I'd buy boards and chips as soon as they are available, and I'll pay for shipping (to Colombia or Belgium). Though I'll gladly test, I cannot in good confidence commit.
    Is it possible to add my email address to an announcement list?

PS: I don't think I have ever been as excited about anything for such a long time :)
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2018-10-18 03:31
    I'm excited, too!

This has taken so long, but it feels like it's really getting a head of steam now.
  • Go Chip GO!

It's close man. There are real chips out there, and they are useful. Big milestone.

I am super excited too.
  • I would also like to purchase a board with the P2 installed when available.

Tom
  • Put me down to buy 2 boards if you are counting yet!
  • I would be interested in purchasing one or two.
  • I will be purchasing 1 board w/P2 when they are available (for now).
  • I would be interested in purchasing one when they are available. I look forward to working with VGA graphics
    ti85 wrote: »
    I would be interested in purchasing one when they are available. I look forward to working with VGA graphics

Super. There are several modes in the shifter to assemble RGB data efficiently on-the-fly from hub memory. VGA is flexible and a lot of fun.
  • Graphics on the P2 will be really great, I think. Textured polygons, anyone?
    Although the lack of money on my part and functioning QAM modulator on the P2's part, convinces me to wait at least until the final chips are here. Maybe even wait for the potential 16 cog 1MB upgrade. Besides, P1 hasn't been taken to the outer limits just yet. (don't worry i'm working on that one :smiley: )
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    Has the general layout for the November test boards been decided yet?

Just thinking that maybe I could start on a board to mate to it...
    Rayman wrote: »

Yes. It is almost done. We should be able to put a rendering of it up by Monday.
  • cgracey wrote: »

Yes. It is almost done. We should be able to put a rendering of it up by Monday.

Cool, can't wait to see. : ]
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    I'll buy a breakout board prototype Prop2. I got a good deal on the Prop123 FPGA already.

• Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2018-10-25 21:50
    cgracey wrote: »

Just curious whether the design for the test board is done yet. I'm really looking forward to getting one with one of the P2s that are coming early next month.

Hoping for a Happy ThanksChipping this November!