Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
COYOTE-1 Guitar Pedal - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

COYOTE-1 Guitar Pedal

Comments

• KeithE wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    I'm wondering if a Propeller Hat could also be plugged into the same RaspberryPi to provide lots of I/O for interfacing to hardware controls like pots, a keyboard, and maybe an OLED display.

I don't know how that would work mechanically, but maybe I'm missing something. Did you order the Blokas case too? Cool that this has traditional MIDI as well.

I'm assuming that USB MIDI works fine with Pi and PD - but you know what they say about assumptions. We have a digital piano that's sadly USB MIDI only, so that would be cool if it worked.
    Yes, I ordered the case as well. I'm not sure it's possible to plug more than one "hat" into a RaspberryPi. Might not be. Might be possible to interface a Propeller through UART, SPI, or I2C I suppose. I'm not sure what I/O is available after you plug in the pisound module.

• David,

This Instructable may be of interest to you: instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Zero-Guitar-Pedal/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

It is "Lo-Fi" but, could make a great starting point for your own effect ideas!

dgately
  • dgately wrote: »
    David,

This Instructable may be of interest to you: instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Zero-Guitar-Pedal/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

It is "Lo-Fi" but, could make a great starting point for your own effect ideas!

dgately
    Looks interesting. Thanks for the link!

• KeithEKeithE Posts: 957
    edited 2017-10-03 22:44
    It seems that some people are willing to drop $300 to build analog pedals. Maybe someone could run a digital pedal clinic with some of the ideas from this thread? Perhaps Keith Holland (no relation to me) would probably be willing to offer an opinion?

http://www.keithhollandguitars.com/effect-pedal-building-class.html

• David Betz wrote: »

Three available. I wonder what path they took to auction?

Three available. I wonder what path they took to auction?
    I should buy them all! Maybe I can corner the market on Coyote-1 pedals. Surely they will be worth millions some day.
  • Oh, so tempting. The Coyote-1 looks like a nice pedal.

I didn't know ebay had a DIY guitar effect page. There is a ton of various kits one can get.
    ebay.com/bhp/diy-guitar-effect

The Owl was a pretty interesting Open Hardware pedal which I believe started with an AVR processor but looks like they are using a STM32F4 ARM Cortext M4 processor now.
    rebeltech.org/products/owl-pedal/

I did have my eye on the Line6 ToneCore DSP Developers Kit but I am not sure if they offer that anymore.
    line6.com/tcddk/

However, I would at some point like to make my own pedal.
  • JonM wrote: »
    I did have my eye on the Line6 ToneCore DSP Developers Kit but I am not sure if they offer that anymore.
    line6.com/tcddk/
    PM me your mailing address and I'll send you one. I bought one a while back but I now realize that I'll never have time to do anything with it.

• Wow - nice offer David. You keep tempting us all with your posts. I figure that I better not buy anything until I mess around with pure data a bit.

The owl looks like it has a nice community.
    Wow - nice offer David. You keep tempting us all with your posts. I figure that I better not buy anything until I mess around with pure data a bit.

The owl looks like it has a nice community.
    I ended up buying a PiSound board for the RaspberryPi. It seems to work pretty well although I need to learn Pure Data myself.

I wonder if any of these got used. There is a lot of seemingly unopened items.

• Publison wrote: »

I wonder if any of these got used. There is a lot of seemingly unopened items.
    Yeah, I don't know how popular it was. I tried to contact the creator a while back but got no response. I think it's an interesting design from both a hardware and a software perspective. I bought a second one so I can try developing some patches and share them with my son.

• KeithEKeithE Posts: 957
    edited 2017-12-06 05:43
    Let's tempt others so I don't buy it...

Are Gracey kids into the guitar? It's the season.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141225225405/http://howleraudio.com/frontpage/
    https://web.archive.org/web/20090221020644/http://forums.parallax.com:80/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=232008

Is there a way to get to the real post on the old forums?

Edited to add: https://learn.parallax.com/educators/inspiration/openstomp
  • If you are into effects, you are going to have an amplifier and even inexpensive practice amps, today, tend to feature sophisticated DSP effects.
    Guitarists tend to want to spend their guitar-time, actually playing guitar, not constantly fiddling with knobs.
  • Mickster wrote: »
    If you are into effects, you are going to have an amplifier and even inexpensive practice amps, today, tend to feature sophisticated DSP effects.
    Guitarists tend to want to spend their guitar-time, actually playing guitar, not constantly fiddling with knobs.
    I'm not a guitarist. I like fiddling with knobs! :-)

If you are into effects, you are going to have an amplifier and even inexpensive practice amps, today, tend to feature sophisticated DSP effects.

I get your point especially when it comes to endless pedal boards, but there are definitely guitarists out there who are into it. Otherwise how could this class that I posted earlier exist?
    1024 x 768 - 178K
    Mickster wrote: »

I get your point especially when it comes to endless pedal boards, but there are definitely guitarists out there who are into it. Otherwise how could this class that I posted earlier exist?

I'm betting that they are geeks more than guitarists. I have pretty much every effect you can name and all customizable. Hardly use 'em. They start to get on your nerves unless yer a headbanger and need more drive/distortion than the amp can muster. "Tone is in the fingers", as they say.
    KeithE wrote: »

I'm betting that they are geeks more than guitarists. I have pretty much every effect you can name and all customizable. Hardly use 'em. They start to get on your nerves unless yer a headbanger and need more drive/distortion than the amp can muster. "Tone is in the fingers", as they say.
    Well, if you're right that may explain why the Coyote-1 disappeared. No demand.

KeithE wrote: »

Well, if you're right that may explain why the Coyote-1 disappeared. No demand.

Well, Line6 seems to be doing pretty good and it seems like every other Amp company like Fender, VOX and such are adding digital effects to their Amps, so it would seem that there are plenty of Guit-Fiddlers that like to mess with effects. Heck, even Stevie Ray used some effects, all be it minimal, but he also had custom wound pickups (Steve Vai as well) and had his amp customized both electronically and with the cabinet. And there are folks like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani who live and die by the use of guitar effects. Eddie's "Brown Sound" was based on more than just his finger to string touch.
    There there is Boston's Tom Scholz who created his own line of effects with the Rockman line, but he is also a MIT Trained Engineer.
    I know some that will only use pedals and not any of the DSPs, but others really like to have a rack mount system with a pedal controller board. It really depends on the individual as to whether effects are used or not.
    Personally, I like my Boss GT pedal board but I also like to go simple with individual pedals or just go clean. Then again, I also like to tinker so I am never done messing with my rig.

It would be interesting to see what happened with the Coyote-1 since others like the Owl seem to be still kickin'.
  • With the greatest respect JonM, if you believe what you just stated, you are a sales person's dream customer.

It's all hogwash...just like "hand-wired" amps. There are those who will swear blind that the tone is "better" and the "audiophile" who claims the same thing of a $2,000+ power cord (Google it). The crappy wiring behind the drywall doesn't come into the equation, apparently.

You can see Satriani playing through a crappy 10w tranny amp on YouTube and he makes me almost wanna quit trying to play..LOL

Every famous musician has a "modified" this or that or worked with some big name company on a particular effect...Yeah just as Victoria Beckham "created a perfume"
    With the greatest respect JonM, if you believe what you just stated, you are a sales person's dream customer.

It's all hogwash...just like "hand-wired" amps. There are those who will swear blind that the tone is "better" and the "audiophile" who claims the same thing of a $2,000+ power cord (Google it). The crappy wiring behind the drywall doesn't come into the equation, apparently.

You can see Satriani playing through a crappy 10w tranny amp on YouTube and he makes me almost wanna quit trying to play..LOL

Every famous musician has a "modified" this or that or worked with some big name company on a particular effect...Yeah just as Victoria Beckham "created a perfume"
    Of course, gadgets are no substitute for talent. However, there seem to be a huge number of effects pedals out there. Are you saying no one is buying any of them?
  • Joe Satriani, Carlos Santana and many of the greats create their own sound, perfecting a tone that identifies with their specific style. All, use several effects to get their singular tone.

But, there are so many bands & guitarists that cover music from all genres that need pedal boards full of effects. If you want to sound like Carlos, Joe, Stevie Ray, Eddie, Edge or Jimi (the list goes on and on...) you often need a board or rack full of effects. And, playing several different guitars sometimes demands different effects. As an example: my Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 does not work as well with my "Soul Preacher" compressor as does my Fender Stratocaster. So, I have a "MXR Dyna Comp" for that guitar.

Studio guitarists are often asked to provide different effects when called in on studio work. If you want to be in the game, you have to have the right tools.

Many of the current great guitarists have a rack full of effects, out of sight, controlled by a single MIDI box, so you might not even see them on-stage. But, they are there! Check out the ~40 effects that the Edge uses: equipboard.com/pros/the-edge/#effects-pedals. Eddie Van Halen, a proponent of "just plugging into his amp" for distortion even uses 6 other pedal effects (like the EVH117 Flanger, Phase 90, the EVH95 Signature Wah, Boss OC-3 Super Octave, Digitech Whammy, and MXR M234 Analog Chorus). Jimi Hendrix used: Fuzz Face, Uni-Vibe, Octavia, Wah-wah and even a Delay on "All Along the Watch Tower".

I don't think a guitarist needs a ton of effects, but most want to play with different sounds in creating their sound or the sound they need in performing other musician's music (BTW: most guitarists are in this category).

If you really think guitarists are not buying effects, take a ride to your nearest music store. Guitar effects are "big business"... Check out sweetwater.com, musiciansfriend.com, guitarcenter.com.

dgately
    With the greatest respect JonM, if you believe what you just stated, you are a sales person's dream customer.
    Yeah, and if you don't believe it, you are living in fantasy land.

My favorite story is of Steve Vai making the driver turn the tour bus around and having his guitar Tech dig through the trash at the venue they just left since the tech replaced a pick-up in his Evo.

SRV on an acoustic shown what sort of talent he really had, but on stage and in the studio he used multiple effects as well as multiple amps and multiple guitars. Why??? For the differences in the tone and the sound each had. But, after his drug rehab and he was playing through a Marshall Half-Stack, it was just not the same sound.

But then again, chatting face to face with Al Di Meola regarding his on stage set-up and him asking me how it sounded was very enlightening.

Sorry, after 30 plus years of playing guitar has me thinking differently than you.
  • JonM wrote: »
    Yeah, and if you don't believe it, you are living in fantasy land.

My favorite story is of Steve Vai making the driver turn the tour bus around and having his guitar Tech dig through the trash at the venue they just left since the tech replaced a pick-up in his Evo.

SRV on an acoustic shown what sort of talent he really had, but on stage and in the studio he used multiple effects as well as multiple amps and multiple guitars. Why??? For the differences in the tone and the sound each had. But, after his drug rehab and he was playing through a Marshall Half-Stack, it was just not the same sound.

But then again, chatting face to face with Al Di Meola regarding his on stage set-up and him asking me how it sounded was very enlightening.

Sorry, after 30 plus years of playing guitar has me thinking differently than you.

FWIW, I have been playing electric guitar for almost 44 years.

As I stated on the first page of this thread, I have been using modelers for a long time. It's the only way to go, especially if you play in a cover band.

I think it was 1985 when I first had a car with a powered, telescoping and tilting steering wheel, fully powered seats and mirrors. If I was driving, I would select memory #1, the wife was #2. No messing with manual adjustments. This is exactly what we have with guitar modelers; select a preset to suit a particular song and the required amp-model, effects parameters, eq, etc. are ready to go. No squatting on the floor to adjust a bunch of knobs

The Steve Vai pickup story is from 1998. Things have moved on since then. I don't know if you have a low latency audio interface for your PC but I would suggest downloading the trial version of "Amplitube Jimi Hendrix". I simply plug-in my Les Paul (humbuckers), select the preset "Hey Joe" and out of my speakers, I get something sounding amazingly close to Jimi's Strat.

Edge, Vai, Satriani? Well let's add Petrucci, Fripp, Dweezil Zappa, Andy Summers and a whole bunch more to the list. They are now using the Fractal FX-AXE modeler.

I don't want the Fractal product because I would have to also buy a backup. I have 7 GNX4's, each with 4 DSPs.

I also have the PC-based:

Guitar Rig 5

Amplitube

Revalver

I have no qualms about using a laptop on stage. I have 3 Panasonic Toughbooks and they can withstand pretty much anything.

I used to have multiple guitars on stage, not for "tone differences" but for alternate tunings so I didn't have to mess around with tuning on-stage.
    Today, I have 2 identical "Autotune" guitars where I can instantly select an alternate tuning. I have 2, just in case I break a string.

• I got my second Coyote-1. I guess I need to start looking at what is involved with programming one. I'm also wondering if I can do something other than effects with this thing. It seems like an interesting platform for any audio work.

FWIW, I have been playing electric guitar for almost 44 years.

Congrats! I hope I can still play in another 14 or so years.

I'm more of a ProTools guy since that is what I learned in the Recording Studio and with my own recordings. I have dablled with Ableton Live though.

I got my second Coyote-1. I guess I need to start looking at what is involved with programming one. I'm also wondering if I can do something other than effects with this thing. It seems like an interesting platform for any audio work.

Ah, yeah, getting back to the original subject.
    Sweet! Did you get that off of the Ebay posting? Please share your experience with it when you get a chance.