Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ideas needed to protect hall sensors and encoder outputs. - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Ideas needed to protect hall sensors and encoder outputs.

2»

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Modular connectors as universal easy-to-crimp connectors even for motors is not a really good idea. I've seen them on various devices and the contacts are really only designed for signals anyway.

I prefer the modular screw terminals that you can plug in, especially the more compact 3.5mm variety and they come in all configurations and make it trivial to wire a cable in the field, all you need is a screwdriver. Although they are more expensive it seems to me that trying to use modular connectors because they can be handled in the field is creating a situation where the damage they cause by wrongly connecting them cannot be handled in the field.

Circuit protection is one thing but prevention is better than a cure. Don't let those connectors get mixed up in the first place.

+ 1
  • Sounds like; when you close the loop, the commutation is wrong(?)

Have you tried switching the Halls around?

• winashley3winashley3 Posts: 1
    edited 2021-08-05 07:04

Thanks Beau for looking at it. I am trying to understand why you put the schottkys in reverse? teatv e sadhana

• boneheadradioboneheadradio Posts: 20
    edited 2021-09-03 02:46

@msrobots said:
    How about color coding the plugs and sockets?

Say red for motors, green for hall sensors, something like that?

would not prevent mistakes, but make them more obvious?

Mike

@"Peter Jakacki" said:
    Modular connectors as universal easy-to-crimp connectors even for motors is not a really good idea. I've seen them on various devices and the contacts are really only designed for signals anyway.

I prefer the modular screw terminals that you can plug in, especially the more compact 3.5mm variety and they come in all configurations and make it trivial to wire a cable in the field, all you need is a screwdriver. Although they are more expensive it seems to me that trying to use modular connectors because they can be handled in the field is creating a situation where the damage they cause by wrongly connecting them cannot be handled in the field.

Circuit protection is one thing but prevention is better than a cure. Don't let those connectors get mixed up in the first place.

both these fellows are on the money!
    trying to find an electronic protection to idiot proof something while is an admirable thing its overly complicating the solution,
    strict adherence to a policy of the correct part, detailed identification, and limited access is by far simpler and more effective.

there are plusses and minuses to any sensor and device used in control circuits and consideration of possible errata that may occur.
    careful engineering, including protective measures and policies and maintenance procedures goes along with it.
    knowing the limitations, strength's and weakness of them.

31 years as a technician in an industrial environment i could regale you with many a good horror story relating to sensors, solid state relays, power supplies and control circuits in automation.