Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Barnes & Noble Mini Maker Faire — Parallax Forums

Barnes & Noble Mini Maker Faire

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
edited 2016-11-03 22:16 in Robotics
I just learned about this event coming up this weekend, near me. A friend forwarded the attached flyer to me, I never would have heard about it otherwise. I'll check it out. Not that I expect anyone else to attend this one, just a heads up that B&N may host similar poorly-advertised events at other locations, so it might be worth inquiring if you have a local store.

Edit: My attachments originally had an ampersand in their file names and the system would't accept them. I deleted the ampersand and they uploaded properly.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-11-03 19:22
    In the mean time, you could use the link:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/h/makerfaire

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Publison wrote: »
    In the mean time, you could use the link:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/h/makerfaire

That's my Dawg! Thanks Jim!

Testing different JPG attachment, looks OK.
    1280 x 960 - 436K
  • Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out the local B&N.
    Same event is this weekend at Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/mini-maker-faire-2017/

Mostly disappointment for me last year, mainly promoting their overpriced products. But something to do if you have time this weekend, another good reason to go to a BOOKSTORE!

I'm showing some bots Dec 2 at the Los Angeles MMF: https://dtla.makerfaire.com/maker/entry/98/

• We're going to the one in Ventura tomorrow, my daughter volunteered to help the Jr college architecture club at their booth. If it's cool, maybe next year we can unofficially represent Parallax with the high school robotics club! :cool:
    I'm sure your daughter is a chip off the old block and will "plus up" the whole event. Have fun!
  • I just dropped by my local B&N to see what the mini Maker Faire was like. They had five tables at the front of the store, one was set aside for 5 years and up, the others were 12 and up. Unfortunately it looks like they didn’t get much response from the local makers, there were no exhibits other than for merchandise that B&N sells, with kids who work in the store demoing them.

Considering that this store is literally down the street from where the flagship Maker Faire takes place, it was disappointing. I guess my expectations were set by having actually attended and exhibited at the big Maker Faire. We spent about ten minutes there.

However, I think this is a great opportunity for anyone to exhibit a small tabletop project. Literally anything that does something interesting would be a great fit...robots (of course!j, a weather station, anything with sensors or movement. There must be a bunch of projects already designed in the Parallax teaching materials that would be good to assemble, demonstrate, and explain. Erco would have a ball (but leave the flamethrower ‘bot at home....it would be eye level with many bookstore patrons).

My guess is that B&N is starving for good exhibits. I think I’ll come up with something interesting for next year.
  • Spent this afternoon, with 6 fellow members of the Baltimore Hackerspace, displaying our creations at the Barnes & Noble Mini Maker Faire in Baltimore, Maryland. I showed off two robots, including one controlled by a Propeller chip.
    Our B&N MMF has some local high school students showing their FTC robots from this and last year. Kinda cool, but poorly organized. No emcee, banner, poster or explanation, so most people watched for 30 seconds then left. I spoke with a guy there who taught shop class. Nice people & students, just not presented well.

It was a helpful reminder of "How things go" (KISS principle) for me to streamline my offerings for another MMF in LA in December.
  • zappman wrote: »
    Spent this afternoon, with 6 fellow members of the Baltimore Hackerspace, displaying our creations at the Barnes & Noble Mini Maker Faire in Baltimore, Maryland. I showed off two robots, including one controlled by a Propeller chip.

That's pretty sweet. The B&N mini maker faire in Ventura looked pretty successful, several tables upstairs and out on the balcony. Even the library had some cool display up with a 3D printer and a laptop programming something. The local MAKE Ventura group was there with some cool 3D printers and laser stuff. And of course Arduino...man, we'll have to go represent the Parallax Propeller (and hopefully? P2!) next year. Hey Erco, did they ever go for the hats? :cool: haha, we're going to need them!
    DrPop wrote: »
    Hey Erco, did they ever go for the hats? :cool: haha, we're going to need them!

Not AFAIK. Ahem KEN! Swag time. Schwinnng!

Phats.jpg
    896 x 538 - 141K