Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$5.64 WiFi Drone Video Camera — Parallax Forums

$5.64 WiFi Drone Video Camera

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
edited 2017-09-26 21:23 in Robotics
Edited 9/26/17: Changed the title from $11.55 to $5.64 per Buck Rogers. Now save 80%! Choose the US-NYC warehouse option.

Half-price now (at $11.55): https://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopter-parts/pp_212594.html Says only 8 left, just like it did before I ordered two!

This is one of the cameras I wrote about in SERVO magazine (February 2017) at http://www.servomagazine.com/index.php/magazine/article/february2016_WiFiVideoCameras . That article just went public, no subscription required.

No sound, not the highest-resolution cam available, and about a half-second of video lag, but very cheap and the MJX app (as downloaded directly from MJX, not Google play, last I checked) has the split screen option to give a binocular view for use with the VR phone goggles that are available everywhere for $5. Very immersive.

Just hook the cam up to a LiPo/Li-Ion and you're streaming:

Comments

• Was this before or after the earthquake? Is that Phil's Benz parked across the street? :)
  • Yes but pick US-NYC for warehouse options instead of China, and price goes down. I suspect the buyer is paying for a slow transport from the country.

This is indeed an interesting concept. I've got an interesting idea for a BOE bot style frame, so, ah, that rig would be a good fit.

But I'm only talking through my lucky hat here.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    erco,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your posts and test videos! Thanks for the link to the article too.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2017-09-21 15:35
    Great tip on the US warehouse, Buck. I'm slipping!

$5.64!!!

My quick Ebay scan turns up a best price of $13: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MJX-C4005-WIFI-fpv-Camera-used-to-X401H-X601H-X400-X500-X600-X800-X101-x6sw-/112544982916
  • I arranged it myself. What with almost all of your robots away on visit to Maker Faire. And they might bring back not, but two cats who speak fluent NY accented English for you.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    It's now $24.

Erco, really appreciate the links, and the follow ups with how they perform :)
  • @Buck Rogers,

what is with that obsession of you with erco, his robots and cats?

Is this some kind of inside joke that just you understand?

I find it quite distracting in a mostly technical forum to read nonsense like that.

Mike
  • msrobots wrote: »
    @Buck Rogers,

what is with that obsession of you with erco, his robots and cats?

Is this some kind of inside joke that just you understand?

I find it quite distracting in a mostly technical forum to read nonsense like that.

Mike

Simply to enter some humor into a discussion.

And actually it is an inside joke, to myself and a good number of members. Besides erco has not as of yet complained. And besides nothing really leaves his house, they are all right there, including the four cats who only communicate with a Brooklyn accent. Including the one who wears a Brooklyn Dodgers hat.....
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I didn't like to mention this, but the Erco robot thing was a tiny bit amusing the first two or three times. It has grown increasingly annoying to find myself reading that gibberish all the time.

Now, it's infuriating.

Sorry, but there we are.

• We need one more, erco himself. Then I'll stop.
    I'm honored for my robots to be singled out, but it's OK to stop. :)
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    I didn't want to speak up, but yes, I silently thought "enough already" a long time ago.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-09-25 17:38
    I guess we are all in agreement then. Erco's bots will be free to roam without being watched or reported on.
    Andy Warhol said "In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes". So thanks for my time in the spotlight, Buck.

I was similarly honored in 2013 when I found THIS online. Had no idea I was so honored, it just popped up in a Google search. Humanoido never mentioned it AFAIK.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Well done. An honor indeed.

I was amazed when I found my Zicog Z80 emulator project turned up on Hackaday. https://hackaday.com/2009/12/27/zilog-in-a-matchbox/

With huge creds to Cluso for making that tiny board of course.

I don't think either of us imagined that would happen.

• Fine. They left for Asia after dropping off four cats. I won't be reporting on their antics or even their return.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Ah, $24 now.. I almost went for a camera or two when they were half the price. But junk drawer and project plans are full already, and ebay budget empty..
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    There seems to be a correlation to ercos announcement and a big price increase soon after. We have to swoop quickly!
    edited 2017-09-26 21:22
    China price increased, but Buck's amazing $5.64 price is still available if you choose the US-NYC warehouse and if they ship to your country.

Edit: Just received my $5 cams from NYC, so the deal is real. Thanks Buck, you out-ercoed me!
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,798
    Ok, I had to get two... Hard to beat...
  • Nice test video.
  • I installed the mjx c4005 fpv application on a Pixel smart phone and Galaxy Tab E. In both cases connection was made to the camera, but the application showed zero signal strength and
    no image. I decided to try my old acer tablet for which the Google Play store showed only the c4006 app, which I installed. It worked. I installed this app on the Pixel and Galaxy Tab. It worked on the tablet but, while it showed high signal strength on the Pixel, there was no image.

Nick

I tried the c4006 app with the c4005 camera a while back on an Android tablet. It had less latency (delay) but it froze up regularly.

As I mentioned in my first post, Google Play hosts a different version of the c4005 app than the MJX website. The Google play version lacks the 3D split screen option. (At least as of late 2016, I haven't tried it lately). So try both versions if you have problems. MJX's app works fine on all the phones & tablets I've tried, after sideloading it from a uSD card.
    BTW I just saw the c4005 app on GP at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mjxrcfpv&hl=en but the MJX site is down right now. I'll see if I saved a copy of their c4005 3D app.
    I found the MJX Android app with 3D feature(12 MB APK file), saved 3/2/2016 but after uploading it to the forum, it doesn't show, forum software says no file data attached. Guess it doesn't like the APK filetype. :(

I've noticed that MJX and Syma cams & apps are compatible & interchangeable, but Syma's app also lacks the 3D feature.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    erco wrote: »
    I found the MJX Android app with 3D feature(12 MB APK file), saved 3/2/2016 but after uploading it to the forum, it doesn't show, forum software says no file data attached. Guess it doesn't like the APK filetype. :(

I've noticed that MJX and Syma cams & apps are compatible & interchangeable, but Syma's app also lacks the 3D feature.

Have you tried compressing and then posting it?
    It was worth a shot. I zipped and uploaded, but I still get this warning:No file data could be found in your post
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    erco wrote: »
    It was worth a shot. I zipped and uploaded, but I still get this warning:No file data could be found in your post

Interesting. I wonder what the result would be if you changed the file type, and what you would see if you opened it with an ascii or hex editor.
    Just found another MJX page, which lists lots of app downloads, including C4005 apps for Android and iPhone. 19MB download for Android is dated Sept 2016, newer than mine. If anyone tries it, please advise if it works and if it still has the 3D function.

http://www.mjxrc.net/down/application.html
  • I downloaded the C4005 android app from the web site. It has the 3D function and works with my Galaxy tab but not with the Pixel phone..

Nick