Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where will you be for the eclipse? — Parallax Forums

Where will you be for the eclipse?

I will probably have to settle for the partial here in Washington State. I'd be tempted to head south, but the traffic and camping facility congestion would probably render the experience pretty miserable overall.

What are your plans?

-Phil

Comments

• Hopefully around 7000' ASL, somewhere off the San Diego coast, with a proper filter.

I tried in 2012, all I had was a 12 stop ND filter, nowhere near enough. The interesting thing about it is, you can see the eclipse in the lense flare. The little lense flare dots all have dark spots in the middle.

1576 x 842 - 61K
  • Oregon desert. 80mm 'scope and binoculars. 80 through 20 meter radio to play with propagation effects. I can't wait!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Mountain View. I managed to wrangle an extension to my "Heater go America" trip so I have some chance to see something. Assuming this cloudy weather clears up by then.

Haven't seen an eclipse since the full eclipse from England in 1968 or so.
  • Lincoln, Nebraska. Pretty short totality.
    No optical gear except for glasses, so I can watch the eclipse rather than fiddling with cameras. I figure other people can take pictures.
  • Not in the prime area for me. Got my welding lenses ready though, been about forty years since I seen the last one.
    800 x 605 - 133K
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    I'm with this lady to postpone it until I can travel, but getting everyone to agree on a time & date is tough.

http://www.boredpanda.com/mom-asks-reschedule-solar-eclipse/
  • I'm not planning on going anywhere but I will only see a partial eclipse from home. I just have to be patient, since the April 8th 2024 eclipse will be a total eclipse where I live.
  • At sea level, in a hammock, with a piece of smoked glass and 2 or 3 Captain & Coke, waiting for our 75% event.

Cheers...
  • Every night when I go to bed, I'm in the shadow of a total solar eclipse from the Earth ... what's the big deal? <smirk> :-)

• I will have to watch from my home office. I'll pop out now and then to use a pinhole in cardboard to check the status.

And my automated Propeller temperature monitoring station (from the other thread) will be running!
  • If the weather is good, I will be at my Grandson's elementary school in Columbia, MO. If cloudy I will try to drive a few hours to better weather if there is any.

John Abshier
    I'll be waiting in line outside the bank, blowing my nose, staring up at the sun until my eyeballs burst into flames. Flobbelty-flee!

• KeithEKeithE Posts: 957
    edited 2017-08-13 15:46
    I'm totally unprepared, but fortunately there's going to be a viewing party at our local park here in San Jose:

https://www.sjaa.net/events/solar-eclipse-2017/

I have relatives flying to Oregon and Montana (maybe it was Wyoming which would make more sense?) to see both relatives and the eclipse.
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2017-08-13 16:10
    I'm going to be sitting on my deck at home where totality lasts about 2 min. Lucky!
    I'm going to be sitting on my deck at home where totality lasts about 2 min. Lucky!

Pajama party at Martin's house! Bring beer, soldering iron and your favorite DVD!

@Martin: please post directions. How many beds you got, or are we pitching tents in your yard?

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-08-13 22:10
    erco wrote: »

Pajama party at Martin's house! Bring beer, soldering iron and your favorite DVD!

@Martin: please post directions. How many beds you got, or are we pitching tents in your yard?

I have to know the potty facilities, are there porta-potty's? Or do we have to share one in the house? I will have a party of nine, we have tents, bags. No firewood or beer though.

BTW: We enjoy our coffee in the morning, and wouldn't you know it, we left our's behind.
    ... at home where totality lasts about 2 min. Lucky!

I predict a lot of post-eclipse depression. All this ruckus, people travelling, airlines & hotels sold out, for just two minutes of darkness?

Then what? Or even worse, ten minutes before it even starts, "Hey, let's leave early to beat the rush home!"

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230

Hmm...

The dark side of the Moon.

:)
    Heater. wrote: »

Hmm...

The dark side of the Moon.

:)

We have a winner! Ding ding ding!
  • My dear wife and I will be traveling to Columbia, MO to join with my brother and his family for the event.
  • DaveJensonDaveJenson Posts: 370
    edited 2017-08-14 15:32
    I live in Salem, OR.
    In the path of totality (if the weather cooperates!)
    I think I will stay home that day and avoid the traffic!
  • K2K2 Posts: 691
    The path swath of totality begins only seven miles north of our cabin (near the Oregon/Idaho border). We will definitely be going for a short drive to a nearby hilltop that morning.
  • Gonna find some flat-earthers to laugh at. They believe that light comes from somewhere other than the Sun.
  • Since I just got back from vacation (bad planning on my part), I'll be at work. I'll only get 80-85 percent totality. <sigh>

Did come across this though, if you want a preview of how it will be at your location:
    https://eclipsemega.movie/simulator
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    We'll be in North central Oregon.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-08-15 12:29
    I think I'll try a video. Testing went well, will have to tripod mount and use remote, but I think the filter is adequate. I guess I will find out the next time I take a family picture. :lol:

10x optical + digital zoom
    3264 x 2448 - 157K
  • DaveJenson wrote: »
    I live in Salem, OR.
    In the path of totality (if the weather cooperates!)
    I think I will stay home that day and avoid the traffic!
    I've read a few times that Salem OR is the starting point. Crowds, traffic and media...the stuff going on around you on the ground may be the bigger spectacle.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    I will probably have to settle for the partial here in Washington State. I'd be tempted to head south, but the traffic and camping facility congestion would probably render the experience pretty miserable overall.
    I wonder what percentage of people that have braved the crowds and other inconveniences to witness a total solar eclipse have later said that it wasn't worth it.
  • I'm sure it depends upon one's personality and their aversion to crowds. :)

-Phil
  • I am in Greenville, SC and the eclipse will pass directly through the town at 1pm. It will be at totality for 2min straight as well! My work is allowing us to go out and see it :D