Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where will you be for the eclipse? - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Where will you be for the eclipse?

Comments

• From my front porch, Seminole Florida 40 minutes after event maximum. Used a pair of binoculars steadied on a trash can (it was nearby and handy and empty!) managed to focus in on the projected image on a piece of paper on the ground. BTW, the smoked glass worked great for personal viewing but sucked when trying to get a picture.
    2016 x 1512 - 389K
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,248
    Heater. wrote: »
    OK. I'm convinced. Newton was right.

Isaac, or his brother Fig?

• Ok I had a glare problem with my setup, so I didn't get much of a record anyway, but it's mine.

One thing the wife and I noted it is the birds were quiet during the whole thing.
    3264 x 2448 - 680K
    3264 x 2448 - 604K
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Nice pic.

Where are you? That's upside down.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Nice pic.

That's what it looked like for me. Norfolk, VA.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Nice pic.

This is all Google Earth can say about it, it's the porch on somebody's trailer. Five miles north as the crow flies, looking South.
    Ah, ha, so you are north of the path of the total eclipse. You saw it from the other side. Upside down.
    https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2017-august-21?n=1241
    edited 2017-08-21 20:57
    Seen from the other side:

WIN_20170821_19_49_07_Pro%20%282%29.jpg[\img]
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-08-21 21:09
    Seen from the other side:

WIN_20170821_19_49_07_Pro%20%282%29.jpg[\img]

Same clouds also.

Heater the next time you take a picture of someone, and they turn out not to have a face, keep those pictures in mind.
    Ha, there were no clouds at that time.

That's what you get when you put your eclipse spectacles over the camera of a Surface Pro 4 and point it at an eclipse.

Came out better than expected!

• MikeDYur wrote: »
    Ok I had a glare problem with my setup, so I didn't get much of a record anyway, but it's mine.

One thing the wife and I noted it is the birds were quiet during the whole thing.

Looks a lot better than what I got!

At the max point you could not distinguish any crescent - the clouds made it just a blur...

• I watched it from Prineville Oregon.
  • I remember Prineville. It was 1976, and I was in the midst of a long road trip, when I happened upon Sweet Home, Oregon. It was there that someone told me about Holly Blue agates, that they were valuable, and that they could be mined on nearby public land by anyone with the right tools. So I bought a rock hammer and a chisel and set about excavating the local diggery. And I was able to extract some of those "valuable" blue stones. "Wow!" I thought, "Easy money!"

So I took my finds into town to sell them. "No, there's no one here to buy them," I was told. "You have to go to such-and-such rock shop in Prineville. Talk to the proprietress there, and she'll buy them.

So, off I drove to Prineville, in the middle of the freaking desert. 'Don't remember much about the place, except for the rock shop, but I'm sure there was a gas station and -- maybe -- a post office. So I strutted into the rock shop, and an old lady with skin as weathered and tough as the belt I was wearing came out to greet me. Full of anticipation, I proudly opened my box of gems, imagining the cash that she was about to dole into my waiting hands.

"What's this?!" she asked, incredulously.

"Holly Blue agates," I said, hopefully.

"What? These are Smile. Worthless!"

She must've noticed the dreams of an early retirement draining from my crestfallen face. So she showed me what gem-quality Holly Blues looked like. Yes, what I had were Holly Blue agates. But they were Smile.

And that's what I remember from Prineville -- the one and only time I was ever there.

-Phil
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,248
    My best pic from today. No filter, no reflector, no anything. No camera. Just MS Paint.

paint.png
    450 x 450 - 2K
    How did you do that? Rarely have I seen such skillful mastery of light and shade.

Those ISS guys will do anything to stay in the news...
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-08-22 20:58
    This turned out to be a waste of time for me, I must have missed the class on design specifics. All I got was a white disk the whole time, but have no idea what would be projected in a total eclipse.
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    The hole is too big.

Distance from pin hole to screen is too short.

No, I got it. You did not use as Cheerios box:

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/total-solar-eclipse-2017-make-pinhole-projector-cereal/story?id=49295289
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Total letdown for me!

Just looked like any other night. Yep, it was a total eclipse, and every night here!

;););)
  • Had a pretty good view in New Orleans of getting to 73%, raining at first with clouds but the clouds were spotty and fast-moving so we had lots of viewing opportunities throughout the event. Having welding equipment on-site we had a few hoods which we took turns using and I also discovered that my reading glasses projected a nice 1/4 inch diameter image of the Sun on a suitably dark surface (light surfaces made the image too bright to look at directly). It only got noticeably darker about 10 minutes either side of maximum occlusion, which was almost exactly 1:30 PM here.

The 2024 eclipse totality path passes much closer, about 250 miles from here, which makes it a day trip without needing a hotel. If I'm feeling up to it I seriously think I might do that for a late 60th self-birthday present.
  • Here is an interesting picture of the eclipse's effect on solar panels. From Los Angeles with about 65% coverage at 10:20am, you can clearly see the dip in production. It was clear skies all day.

Solar_Eclipse.jpg
    1152 x 2048 - 395K
    xanadu,

Great picture. Earth and Moon and Sun all lined up nicely.

Is there a bigger version of that?
  • From Columbia, MO: words fail me in how to describe the event. "Amazingly Awesome" is all I can muster.

I was not equipped to safely take pictures, and frankly, I didn't want to spend the time fiddling about with cameras anyway. I did set up a video camera (looking out over a pasture) and turned it on about five minutes prior to totality. Doing that captured the feel of the event along with the shouts from the gathered people.

Looking forward to the next one crossing Texas in 2024!

Oh, and Publison - thanks much, man.
  • Sapphire wrote: »
    Here is an interesting picture of the eclipse's effect on solar panels. From Los Angeles with about 65% coverage at 10:20am, you can clearly see the dip in production. It was clear skies all day.

I was hoping to see someone's solar panel log for the day! Thanks for sharing :)
  • Here's the results of the temperature readings for my location in Northern California. You can see, just like the data for the solar panel, the temperature didn't rise steadily in the morning as it usually does. We were partially cloudy.
    1340 x 730 - 49K
    The sun ain't going to make you blind from a quick glimpse.

If that were so most of the human race would have been blinded for millennia.

I myself have checked this fact by circumnavigating the globe and glimpsing the sun full on at mid-day on the equator and in Cape Town, Sydney, Tahiti, Panama, Barbados, San Jose. And wherever else.

Top marks to Trumpy for debunking this fallacy.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    The sun ain't going to make you blind from a quick glimpse.

If that were so most of the human race would have been blinded for millennia.

I myself have checked this fact by circumnavigating the globe and glimpsing the sun full on at mid-day on the equator and in Cape Town, Sydney, Tahiti, Panama, Barbados, San Jose. And wherever else.

Top marks to Trumpy for debunking this fallacy.

As I understand it, when the sun is out, your pupils are small and you squint if you look at bright lights such as the sun. But during the eclipse, it is nowhere near as bright,so your pupils are large and let alot of light in. It is this fact that the UV is still very bright and your eyes are not squinting to block out this additional UV that gets to your retina.

From what I understand, its certainly not a fallacy. Perhaps a quick glimpse won't do a lot of damage, but I for one am not going to chance it. My understanding is that any damage is permanent. But hey, shame el presidento didn't look for longer ;)