Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The Guy Who Invented Those Annoying Password Rules Now Regrets Wasting Your Time — Parallax Forums

The Guy Who Invented Those Annoying Password Rules Now Regrets Wasting Your Time

http://gizmodo.com/the-guy-who-invented-those-annoying-password-rules-now-1797643987

Simple math shows that a shorter password with wacky characters is much easier to crack than a long string of easy-to-remember words. This classic XKCD comic shows how four simple words create a passphrase that would take a computer 550 years to guess, while a nonsensical string of random characters would take approximately three days:

passwords.JPG

Comments

• CompuServe's passwords used to be two disassociated but common words connected by a random symbol for a separator. Example: container*bedroom.

I always thought that was better than the typical random character password. Many servers today still won't accept more than 12 or 14 characters for the password string, which is only enough for two medium-length words.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Never had too much trouble coming up with good passwords. Just recycled a bunch of part numbers that stuck in my memory over the years.

Of course remembering what part number went with what site is another matter altogether.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    He should not feel so bad.

We never fell for it anyway :)

On sites that are fussy about adding numbers and punctuation I end up with:

notSoCommonPhrase1!

Shouldn't we be using Unicode user names and passwords now? Just to add to the madness.
  • LOL!123LOL#456LOL$789LOL!!
  • Brute force and dictionary attacks are old school. A spoofed email can have the user type it for them. Then there's man-in-the-middle, and malware.

My issue with complex passwords is mobile devices, it's hard to retain that muscle memory on a tiny little keyboard. I use a combination of words and randoms, but it's not the 1337 speak stuff.

I don't like security questions much, I always put fake answers that are unique to the site questing them. I'd rather not have that information stolen along with all of the other information. Seems kinda silly to give that information up. It can also be funny if you're asked the question over the phone, I get a lot of laughs at the answers to my security questions.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    What's worse is that different sites have different password rules which are often mutually exclusive with other sites. Apple is one pedantic site. My password there is a frustrated password.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    I prefer passwords which are just sentences of words, with spaces (then I don't have to remember which character I used as a substitute for a space). But most systems don't accept those. They want no spaces, and (still) enforces a minimum of upper/lower case, numbers, and/or punctuation characters. In other words, exactly what XKCD illustrated.
    But lots of wi-fi routers accept pass phrases with spaces, it's just that most people don't know that.
  • 1 word in 3 languages seperated with numbers and the whole prefixed with the languages used, eg:
    DEC!vis1fish2yu

Even with short words you eadily get long passwords. If you pick language with diferent roots they'll come out even beter
    But the whole point is that all those vis1fish2you etc. (substitution and mixing) is terribly difficult to remember, particularly when you have twenty or forty or eighty of them. It's infinitely easier to remember real sentences.
  • I think it is even worse.

Why must a account to a forum be protected by a hyper secure password at all?

Or my electricity bill at PG&E?

I could write a letter to some congress-man, using your name and address, even sign it with whatever signature. Nothing protected by passwords.

My bank-card is protected by lousy 4 numbers, but to log into SourceForge I need "no spaces, a minimum of upper/lower case, numbers, and/or punctuation characters".

isn't that just silly?

Mike

• Tor wrote: »
    But the whole point is that all those vis1fish2you etc. (substitution and mixing) is terribly difficult to remember, particularly when you have twenty or forty or eighty of them. It's infinitely easier to remember real sentences.

There is no substitution:

vis (Dutch) = fish (English) = yu (Chinese)

the beauty is i only need to remember one word :) (and of course the translation, but that is relative easy)

anyway it works for me :D
  • msrobots wrote: »
    My bank-card is protected by lousy 4 numbers, but to log into SourceForge I need "no spaces, a minimum of upper/lower case, numbers, and/or punctuation characters".

That's true, but to do anything with those four numbers (PIN) they need your card. Maybe that's what we're missing in computer authentication: physical evidence it's us. A little pin-prick blood analyzer would probably do the trick.

• 2^28 = 3 days at 1000 guesses a second....

What?

Why would any software allow anyone to enter 1000 passwords a second?

Its obviously not a human forgotten his password.

I would have thought two a minute tops, and access denied/banned after 5 fails.

Surely thats an OBVIOUS hacking attempt- any password verifying software OUGHT to be checking for this. This is the 21st century- or is it beyond the whit of current systems.

Or is it the result of the 'cloud' that cant be protected against this- if so. perhaps it needs to be changed.

Dave
  • I have been using the CompuServe form with a twist for years.

Blargons.frozzles

They spell like they sound, aren't in a dictionary, nobody types them.

• Right, the complex passwords are not for your safety, its for the company that is storing your passwords. So when they get hacked it will take the code breakers a few more days before they have your password.

Maybe by then they will have notified you that they were hacked and you can change your password.

Mike

iseries wrote: »
    Right, the complex passwords are not for your safety, its for the company that is storing your passwords. So when they get hacked it will take the code breakers a few more days before they have your password.
    Actually, no, that's the whole point: Those 'complex' passwords have less entropy than a simple multi-word sentence, ref. the XKCD comic.
    "Through 20 years of effort, we've successfully trained everyone to use passwords that are hard for humans to remember, but easy for computers to guess.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    iseries,
    ....complex passwords are not for your safety, its for the company that is storing your passwords. So when they get hacked it will take the code breakers a few more days before they have your password....
    This is very true. Except:

However nobody should be storing passwords in a plain text readable form. They should be scrambled. Store a hash of the password not the actual password. A large gob of random "salt" should be added to the password before hashing, thus making it very hard to get the password from the hash. The hash function should be cryptographically secure. e.g. use Bcrypt.

With these commonly known procedures in place it's not worth any ones time to try and get passwords out of the password database they have acquired. Even if short simple passwords are used.