Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Probably my best, and saddest project — Parallax Forums

Probably my best, and saddest project

JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
edited 2017-06-01 04:19 in Robotics
Our senior dog had (we thought) dementia, and had a very strong compulsion to spin. At some points it was so strong that he'd be at it for hours, until he literally collapsed, and then continue clawing himself in circles with his front paws.

One day, as an experiment, I put him in his bed and spun it manually, in his preferred direction, and he calmed right down and went to sleep.

The next day I built this:

It turns out that he most likely had a brain tumor. He only got to use the Tumor-go-Round for a couple days, but given that it was about the only thing that seemed to calm him, it was worth its weight in gold. We had someone come to the house this morning to end his suffering. It'll be a while before I can look at a pair of Arlo wheels and think of anything but his contented face spinning in circles.

Comments

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-05-31 22:40
    Hi Jason, sorry about the loss of the family pet, but happy you were able to make him comfortable in the last days. We had an old dog doing the same thing, in the same direction. We couldn't figure if it was dementia or how the animal was dealing with pain. It got worse, and we had to make a trip to the vet. You should rightfully feel you done the best you could. Very touching.

Mike
  • 'So sorry for your loss, Jason. It's really hard to say goodbye to a beloved pet. But I know that your dog felt your love for him in his final days, and you can rest assured that you did the right thing in the end.

-Phil
  • Sorry for your loss. Have had to put down various animals, it never gets any easier. Whatever you can do to help a hurtin' creature is worth it.
  • You done your pup good, Jason. It's rare that we can relieve suffering in such a straightforward way.
  • Jason,
    Our precious old dog suddenly developed the same thing.
    Endless pacing in circles until exhaustion.
    It was horrible and sad, but eventually we accepted the vet advice that his mind was gone and had him euthanized.
    My thoughts are with you.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Dogs are good people. Sorry for your loss, Jason. So nice that your tech skills made his last days that much better.