Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Rocker Bogie Bot — Parallax Forums

Rocker Bogie Bot

ercoerco Posts: 20,248
edited 2017-04-06 19:59 in Robotics
Fry's has this chassis on sale today for $55 reg.$70: http://www.frys.com/product/8458128?site=16web040617

Not much detail there, appears to be all 6 wheels driven by gearmotors. Doesn't appear to be anything you couldn't hand fab yourself from plywood and 6 of these (you'd want 120 ratio): http://www.ebay.com/itm/3V-6V-DC-Hobby-Motor-Gear-motor-1-120-1-48-Double-Shaft-W-Wheel-for-Robot-DIY-/122390251472

I think you'd want knobby tires too. Reminds me that I have a design yet to build for a lightweight outdoor all-terrain rover. I can't let xanadu have ALL the fun out there.

8458128.01.big.jpg

Comments

• Haha, the rover approves. Seems like a good deal for $55.

Any size would be awesome if you could mod it so that all of the wheels can steer. I've been playing around with 6+ wheeled rovers in a game called Space Engineers. You can try different steering techniques, suspension, traction and power, it's neat.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,248
    Nice game, but it can't simulate the nearly weightless ercorover!
  • The double rocker boggy configuration is supposed to be the best way to keep all the wheels in contact with the ground. It's not a coincidence NASA has used this configuration on so many of its rovers.

I purchased a bunch of these little motors from Electronic Goldmine a few years ago in hopes of making a rover type vehicle.

FaulhaberMotor.jpg

The motors are still sitting in a box waiting to be made into an off road exploring vehicle.

I'll need to figure out what sort of wheels to use with these motors.

I also need to figure out if I'm going to try to make the wheels steerable.

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    From what I can tell, even though the product shot shows black wheels and gear cases, what you will actually receive is the standard yellow.
    edited 2017-04-06 23:54
    W9GFO wrote: »
    From what I can tell, even though the product shot shows black wheels and gear cases, what you will actually receive is the standard yellow.

Good catch and nice to hear from you again Rich. Everything looks great in black, but I did notice earlier from that photo that those are the cheapie yellow solarbotics gearmotors & wheel hubs with a shot of black paint.

• Ha! You guys think you have to have six wheels on the ground. One day real soon, I will prove you wrong.

Challenge: As many variations of terrain as possible, climbing on rocks, logs, sand, gravel you name it. I challenge You.
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    Challenge: As many variations of terrain as possible, climbing on rocks, logs, sand, gravel you name it. I challenge You.

Done! Points are based on the tallest obstacle H they can climb and the vehicle's weight W.

Points=H/W

Start your engines!

• erco wrote: »
    MikeDYur wrote: »

Done! Points are based on the tallest obstacle H they can climb and the vehicle's weight W.

Points=H/W

Start your engines!

You have take the size of the robot into consideration, I can climb a boulder, not straddle it.
    edited 2017-04-07 00:35
    Without a pic, it didn't happen!

See also