Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Rounding things out, Prop Hosted Compilers — Parallax Forums

Rounding things out, Prop Hosted Compilers

I am not finding them at the moment, though I know there are a few.

Where are the propeller hosted SPIN and PASM compilers? Part of what I am attempting to download in preparation for going off the net.

Comments

• I can only find the Sphinx compiler. I would like to get as many of the Propeller hosted compilers as possible, for any and all compiled languages on the Propeller that are available, even if languages I do not currently use.

And a compiler running in an emulator does not count in this case.
  • You probably want Tachyon, PropForth, and PropBasic too. Not compilers in the strictest sense, but similar in end-goal functionality.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2017-03-15 00:23
    DavidZemon wrote: »
    You probably want Tachyon, PropForth, and PropBasic too. Not compilers in the strictest sense, but similar in end-goal functionality.
    Cluso has an OS that supports the self-hosted Spin compiler.

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/138251/a-propeller-os-that-can-run-on-multiple-hardware/p1

• I am interested in getting PropBASIC.

Do not know what Tachyon is.

Forth stays far from my list, never to be included, sorry just me.
  • I am interested in getting PropBASIC.

PropBASIC is not self-hosted.

• David Betz wrote: »
    I am interested in getting PropBASIC.

PropBASIC is not self-hosted.
    OK, thank you for that.

David Betz wrote: »
    DavidZemon wrote: »
    You probably want Tachyon, PropForth, and PropBasic too. Not compilers in the strictest sense, but similar in end-goal functionality.
    Cluso has an OS that supports the self-hosted Spin compiler.

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/138251/a-propeller-os-that-can-run-on-multiple-hardware/p1

Ok that one is interesting. Got it.
  • What about PropellerBASIC, the interpreter that runs on a few Propeller boards?
  • What about PropellerBASIC, the interpreter that runs on a few Propeller boards?
    There is a program called FemtoBasic that runs native on the Propeller. I'm not sure where to find that.

What about PropellerBASIC, the interpreter that runs on a few Propeller boards?
    There is a program called FemtoBasic that runs native on the Propeller. I'm not sure where to find that.
    I am also looking for FemptoBASIC, though PropellerBASIC seems to be harder to find than FemptoBASIC.
  • And I already have FemptoBASIC as it turns out, I got it as part of the OBEX download.

It is:
    http://obex.parallax.com/object/231
    What about PropellerBASIC, the interpreter that runs on a few Propeller boards?
    I am also looking for FemptoBASIC, though PropellerBASIC seems to be harder to find than FemptoBASIC.
    I've never heard of PropellerBASIC. Actually, isn't FemtoBasic in OBEX?

That is it, though where is the file. The Dropbox link goes to a 404.
  • yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2017-03-15 01:26
    http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/123795/spinix/p1

IIRC Spinix contains Spinix's Spin compiler and the one from SphinxOS.

Found it: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1281203/#Comment_1281203
    It was added in spinix145...
  • yeti wrote: »

Thank you, I have Sphinx. Did not know SphinxOS.
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2017-03-15 01:44
    yeti wrote: »

The Sphinx OS was written by Michael Parks, who also wrote the Sphinx compiler. Spinix is a different OS that has a Linux look and feel to it. It also supports the Sphinx compiler, as well as it's own native Spin compiler called spinit. In addition, spinix contains the pfth Forth compiler/interpreter and a Basic interpreter call bas. Spinix has three text editors, which are vi, ed and ted (tiny ed). Oh, and spinix has a simple bash interpreter that allows execution of simple OS scripts.

• Dave Hein wrote: »
    yeti wrote: »

The Sphinx OS was written by Michael Parks, who also wrote the Sphinx compiler. Spinix is a different OS that has a Linux look and feel to it. It also supports the Sphinx compiler, as well as it's own native Spin compiler called spinit. In addition, spinix contains the pfth Forth compiler/interpreter and a Basic interpreter call bas. Spinix has three text editors, which are vi, ed and ted (tiny ed). Oh, and spinix has a simple bash interpreter that allows execution of simple OS scripts.
    Now that almost seems like a lot to fit into a Propeller (then comes the memory that early versions of Unix ran on DEC PDP-8 and PDP-11 computers, with less RAM than the Propellers HUB memory).

Definitely seems like a good system.
  • Now that I am learning about these OS's for the PRopeller I am trying to figure out how to implement support for an SD-Card PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 Mouse, and composite video in under 8 pins (as almost every project I have uses at least 20 pins).
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140

Where are the propeller hosted SPIN and PASM compilers? Part of what I am attempting to download in preparation for going off the net.

Umm, why ?
    The issue is less one of Compilers, and more one of editors, pdf viewers, file storage, spread sheets, PCB design tools. - all those 'other things' that designers need to use, to get the job done.

I could maybe understand looking at something like Raspberry Pi Zero W, as a 'minimal host'.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/3400

• jmg wrote: »

Umm, why ?
    The issue is less one of Compilers, and more one of editors, pdf viewers, file storage, spread sheets, PCB design tools. - all those 'other things' that designers need to use, to get the job done.

I could maybe understand looking at something like Raspberry Pi Zero W, as a 'minimal host'.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/3400

Because I have always preferred to use the system I am programming for to write the programs. Even when I worked with the AVR I found a complete development environment that runs on the AVR.

For other editors, PDF-Viewers, G-Code design tools (weather for 3D printing or PCB cutting), and all the rest I have my Raspberry Pi B's (original 2012 models), Raspberry Pi A+'s, Raspberry Pi 3B's, and Raspberry Pi 2B's, just add a composite monitor (I am using a Raspberry Pi 3B to type this).

For developing software to run on the Propeller I have a Prepeller ProtoBoard USB, it also works to load other Propellers. It shortens the development cycle to use the Propeller directly, just write the program, saving the source file(s) to an SD-Card, compile and launch, when time to get back to the host system press the reset (unless setup so as to keep the host system active).

As to storage, that is just available with the Propeller as with any other system. For working storage there is SDRAM or SPI RAM, in the 100's of MB sizes, for persistent storage there is the SD-Card.

Though I do still think it would be neat to develop a means of creating the G-Code for the 3D-Printer and CNC using a Propeller, I have thought about a programming language with something like turtle graphics that could be easily converted to G-Code, and would be a lot easier than directly entering G-Code.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Now that you have some gigabytes of software and documents downloaded for the Propeller and Raspberry Pi in preparation for going off line I can only guess what happens. The first random think you try to do will require some missing dependency or missing document that you don't have. There will be something that does not work as expected and require a forum chat or google search to sort out. I can't see this plan working out so easily.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Now that you have some gigabytes of software and documents downloaded for the Propeller and Raspberry Pi in preparation for going off line I can only guess what happens. The first random think you try to do will require some missing dependency or missing document that you don't have. There will be something that does not work as expected and require a forum chat or google search to sort out. I can't see this plan working out so easily.

I'm rooting strongly for you davidsaunders, but I have the same fear. What date range will you be gone?

Well it is back to the old way of figuring it all out.

As to some missing dependency, I am going to double check everything before I go off the Internet. As for missing documentation, I will have to figure it out if I do not have the documents.

If there were the choice to stay online I would, though this choice does not work out for me. I will have to be offline for a good period of time, that is without a choice.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    My Prop OS has a modified version of Michael Park's Sphinx compiler. It has not been tested much and I cannot recall if I still have debug points in it that used quite a bit of the compiler space. But!!! There is no editor :(

As for pins, you can get my 1-pin Keyboard and 1-pin video from the obex. That will save you 2pins. Test your keyboard as you may need to modify the timing in my 1pin keyboard driver.

1pin drivers can be used in my OS but you will need to recompile the main _os.spin program.
    BTW Michael also wrote homespun.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Given the amount of stuff you have there for the Propeller and the Pi there is no way you are going to be able to check it all out first. It would take ages. Building, compiling, testing everything.

Good luck anyway.
    Given the amount of stuff you have there for the Propeller and the Pi there is no way you are going to be able to check it all out first. It would take ages. Building, compiling, testing everything.

Good luck anyway.

I am only worried about making everything on the RPi that I actually use works correctly, and that I can compile and load my SPIN and PASM code. Thankfully the RPi software is rather simple, as I am going to be setting everything up before the internet connection is lost.
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    My Prop OS has a modified version of Michael Park's Sphinx compiler. It has not been tested much and I cannot recall if I still have debug points in it that used quite a bit of the compiler space. But!!! There is no editor :(

As for pins, you can get my 1-pin Keyboard and 1-pin video from the obex. That will save you 2pins. Test your keyboard as you may need to modify the timing in my 1pin keyboard driver.

1pin drivers can be used in my OS but you will need to recompile the main _os.spin program.
    BTW Michael also wrote homespun.
    Ok thank you for that information. As for an editor, maybe I can adapt one of the existing ones to cooperate with your OS, if I manage to succeed I will have to post it when I do end up back online.

PS/2 keyboards can be picky, so it would be interesting to see if a one pin driver could work, same for PS/2 mouses (correct plural of Computer Mouse).

Still leaves the pins for the SD (4 pins) so it is doable, that would be 7 pins used if all the single pin versions work.
  • I could actually free up 2 extra pins by moving something to the pins used by the serial loader, once the OS is in EEPROM.