Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Small swarm - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Small swarm

2»

Comments

• MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2016-10-25 19:02
    Apologies for the lack of updates, had a death in the family....
    Erco said...

The acid test is how controllably it can turn with 4 wheels scrubbing.

<-- here you go!
  • As soon as I get the motor controller code at least partway done, I'll post a vid of the bot pivoting in place
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Fine business, OM! Chassis looks nice. How do you like the quality? Did they just snap together, friction fit or glue?
  • They just snap together. Quality is pretty good, lots of space for goodies. It comes with the bottom part for a battery pack holder, I ended up not using them and fit the battery pack on the rear end of the bottom plate.

The tabs that hold the plates together will break if forced, but I can hold the chassis by one plate and shake it without the chassis coming apart.

The plastic drills easily, I put a bunch of 5/32 holes in the top and bottom plates for the batteries and electronics.

Not bad at all for $30!

Plus it only takes about 5 minutes to put each one together.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2016-10-26 18:55
    If you ever need gearmotor replacements, Ebay is rife with cheap 1:48 types with or without wheels. I much prefer the 120:1 units but the 1:48 types are cheap if you can use them.

I wish someone would make a half-size wheel for use with these 1:48 motors, which would make them far more user friendly.

$1.42 1:48 gearmotor

$1.83 1:48 gearmotor and wheel

$4.90 2X 1:120 gearmotors

$4.76 2X 1:120 RIGHT ANGLE gearmotors similar to Scribbler/S2/S3 types

$7 2X 1:120 gearmotor and wheel I buy lots from this US seller

• MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2017-04-08 18:50
    Small update:
    The project is still going, but due to the insane speed of these platforms and the small size of my apartment, simply did not have enough room to do any meaningful testing.

Finally have 60+ temps here in southern WI, and should be working on this and posting more in next couple of weeks.