Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropellerIDE Development Thread - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

PropellerIDE Development Thread

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Bret,
    Before I can integrate PropBASIC, it needs to be ... added to the Parallax GitHub,
    Surely not. I presume Bean can keep his project where he likes. If the license is suitable Parallax can always keep it's own clone/fork wherever it wants.
  • I would like to help improve open spin but my c skills are not good enough, I can help with homespun if needed, it is open source and I have confirmed that it works with complied code from propbasic on Linux with mono
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2015-09-26 15:40
    @bret
    Roadster wrote: »
    I would like to see support for the new openspin -u option (un-used code remover), currently I’m using a shell for this
    I had been working on integrating that before but there were stability issues and then I never got back to it. That's something I can definitely pick back up though.
    It's no rush, I'm using a work around with propellerIDE and a shell script, I was going to attempt adding this feature into propellerIDE myself but I didn't want to make changes on something that you have may have already started.
    Roy Eltham is the developer. Anything is possible, but Roy has a job and family, and after waiting for almost a year, unused code removal still isn't stable enough for me to release it.

I have been using the -u switch for a long time now and have had only 1 issue with it, it seem the run time memory space is calculated before the un-used methods are removed, so programs that would NOT exceed 32K with un-used methods removed returns the error "Object exceeds run time memory limit", my work around has been to use the -M switch with a size greater than 32K, I have posted this issue on the the openspin forums, and sent Roy a Message but I'm not sure if he ever go it.

Like a said on another thread I would like to help with openspin but my c skills are not good enough, I could maybe help with propellerIDE, QT to me more like C# and I have made simple projects with it in the past
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Bret,
    Before I can integrate PropBASIC, it needs to be ... added to the Parallax GitHub,
    Surely not. I presume Bean can keep his project where he likes. If the license is suitable Parallax can always keep it's own clone/fork wherever it wants.

Yes, perhaps I misspoke. One way or another, I need the project on Git.
  • Roadster wrote: »
    I have been using the -u switch for a long time now and have had only 1 issue with it, it seem the run time memory space is calculated before the un-used methods are removed, so programs that would NOT exceed 32K with un-used methods removed returns the error "Object exceeds run time memory limit", my work around has been to use the -M switch with a size greater than 32K, I have posted this issue on the the openspin forums, and sent Roy a Message but I'm not sure if he ever go it.

The '-u' option currently causes 47 objects between the PropTool libraries and the LameStation SDK to fail in compilation.
    https://travis-ci.org/bweir/OpenSpin/jobs/82146770

So it's definitely not ready for prime time.
  • Roadster wrote: »
    I would like to help improve open spin but my c skills are not good enough, I can help with homespun if needed, it is open source and I have confirmed that it works with complied code from propbasic on Linux with mono

What is Homespun? What is its development status and who is maintaining it?
    HomeSpun is Spin compiler in C# by Michael Park.

When he released the source under the MIT licence I put it up on github here: https://github.com/ZiCog/HomeSpun where I have expounded on it's history and linked back to discussions about it on this forum.

It was maintained on google code but that is dead now.

Also works on the Raspberry Pi.
    HomeSpun is Spin compiler in C# by Michael Park.

When he released the source under the MIT licence I put it up on github here: https://github.com/ZiCog/HomeSpun where I have expounded on it's history and linked back to discussions about it on this forum.

It was maintained on google code but that is dead now.

Also works on the Raspberry Pi.

Ahh, awesome, I didn't know this existed. It looks like the wiki for it is no longer available. I'll have to fiddle around with this, thanks. :P
  • What release of Debian on the Raspberry Pi did you use for your IDE set? I tried to install it on one running the thing from May but it complains that the QT5 libraries were not available.

I then went to the site here https://raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ and it showed both the May and the one for this month, last week in fact.
    Raspian on the Pi is still stuck at the old "Wheezy" release. The current "Jessie" release is not yet perfected although some claim to have luck with it.

Wheezy does not have Qt5 packages. Does PropellerIDE for Raspbian come with it's own Qt5 libraries?

So whilst I was busy typing the above post I missed the fact that Raspian has been updated to Jessie on the 24th Sept !

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian

So whilst I was busy typing the above post I missed the fact that Raspian has been updated to Jessie on the 24th Sept !

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian

I see. (No I don't.) Check my post. You'll see that I mentioned the downloads there.

edited 2015-09-29 17:59
    That is the thing. I did not see either :(

Jessie was not announced on the front page of raspberrypi.org until today, and there was no mention of it on the raspbian forum section there until today. Who would know ?

Will be checking it out ASAP. This Qt5 thing has been a pain in every Pi users butt for ages.

• Well now the Pi is now upgraded and seems to run Prop IDE properly. Scratch is a different story....
    Raspian on the Pi is still stuck at the old "Wheezy" release. The current "Jessie" release is not yet perfected although some claim to have luck with it.

Wheezy does not have Qt5 packages. Does PropellerIDE for Raspbian come with it's own Qt5 libraries?

I had it set up to do that for awhile but now I'm trying to get packthing to produce a Debian package that meets lintian spec. Including my own qt5 ensures PropellerIDE will never be accepted into any package repository.

However, I've recently added a self-extracting archive target, and that's something I could bundle the libraries with. It's a trade-off to be sure and Qt5 availability has defined been a pain for me as well.
    I like the self-extracting archive idea. Even if it's not self-extracting. Just up pack it into /opt set a PATH and away you go.

I have been nervous about installing .debs from anywhere except the official repos since having systems become un-upgradeable when non-standard packages from "foreign" repositories have pulled in incompatible system libraries or other wise messed up my package dependencies.

In short I see no reason why applications, things that are not part of my OS, should become part of my OS.

I like the self-extracting archive idea. Even if it's not self-extracting. Just up pack it into /opt set a PATH and away you go.

I have been nervous about installing .debs from anywhere except the official repos since having systems become un-upgradeable when non-standard packages from "foreign" repositories have pulled in incompatible system libraries or other wise messed up my package dependencies.

In short I see no reason why applications, things that are not part of my OS, should become part of my OS.

Yeah, that's what I mean. The Debian package has to meet a huge amount of criteria to even be considered for distribution, so I want to focus my efforts on that, whereas the self-extracting archive can take greater liberties in how it's laid out.
    Presumably your deb package efforts are now targeting Debian Jessie where Qt5 is now available.
    Presumably your deb package efforts are now targeting Debian Jessie where Qt5 is now available.

Yeah. I use Ubuntu so I don't know the Debian releases as well. As well, I haven't been the one making Raspberry Pi builds for PropellerIDE, so I haven't had to deal with the problems using Raspbian.

Setting up a cross-platform build environment for Raspberry Pi that I can host on Travis CI is important. Once that's in place, Raspberry Pi builds will always be available and up-to-date, which they usually aren't at the moment, and I'll be able to maintain that version more easily.
  • Hey guys, I've uploaded a new version of PropellerIDE. Download it and let me know what you think!

Get it here: PropellerIDE 0.32.0

Release Notes:

- Add self-extracting archive installer
    - Use PropellerManager 0.3.0, which features various download stability improvements
    - Add copy/paste to the serial terminal
  • Brett Weir wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    How many people are using PropellerIDE? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? What features would you most like to see? What is your programming language of choice on the Propeller?

Anyway, it's good to be back. :)
    @Brett-

Welcome back. I've found one of the most useful features for any editor is the ability to have a horizontally split screen showing two different parts of the same file. I don't often see this mentioned but I find myself doing silly things to try to have two sections of code (both from the same file) on the screen at the same time. Having this ability built into the development environment would be really great.
  • Hey guys, check it out. There's a new version of PropellerIDE, version 0.34.4!

http://developer.parallax.com/propelleride/

This version fixes lots and lots of little nagging issues that have been bugging me for a long time. The highlighter has been completely redone so that strings, comments and more render correctly and more quickly, and highlighting is much more readable than it was previously. Be sure to check out all the themes and see for yourself.

Release Notes

Bugs Fixed

[IDE-29] - String-embedded special characters highlight incorrectly
    [IDE-132] - Quaternary operator doesn't always highlight correctly
    [IDE-134] - Parallax font doesn't fail over to system font for unsupported characters
    [IDE-145] - Cursor does not stay aligned with text in memory map
    [IDE-146] - Highlighted hex in memory map is not readable
    [IDE-150] - Multiple strings on the same line do not highlight correctly
    [IDE-151] - Strings, block comment, and line comment highlighting interfere with each other

New Features

[IDE-147] - Add support for backspace in Propterm

Tasks Completed

[IDE-131] - Integrate PropellerManager into BuildManager

Improvements

[IDE-153] - Recolor themes for readability

Check it out and lemme know what you think!
  • Hello Brett,

I am a big fan of PropellerIDE, and I like the direction its going, but there are a couple of things that keep it from being my goto tool.

First is the fact that I have to reset my desired font and font size every time I start the program. I like to use Source Code Pro font at size 14, but the settings are not retained.

Second is the lack of a cursor position indicator. I really like the indentation guides of the Propeller Tool, and I know that is on the list, but in the mean time, I think a cursor position would be of some value.

I realize these things are minor issues, but they do detract from my user experience. BTW, I am on a Windows 10 machine.

Thank you very much for your efforts with PropellerIDE!

Best regards,

JP

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,910
    edited 2016-01-13 00:10
    I'm with you, JP. Two other issues that get on my nerves

-- no block selecting (Alt+Drag) -- I like and use this all the time, and find other editing tools have it
    -- smart tabs -- I'm very picky about my listings and when brought into PropellerIDE they seem to get hosed up

I really couldn't care any less about the themes, and think that should have come later. I do like the windows arrangement and am happy there is now a Memory Map [F8] dialog, but as I reported to Brett and Parallax this morning there may be a problem with the numbers it reports.

Another issue for me is dead code remove. There seems to be an argument between two camps here and Propeller programmers are suffering for it. Right now I'm sticking with Propeller Tool and when I need to clean up unused variables or compile with dead code removed, I run my program through BST.
  • JonnyMac has pointed out something I forgot to mention with regard to the memory map totals. When I compile a program with the latest PropellerIDE, the memory usage shows: Program 5470 Longs, Variable 725 Longs, and Stack/Free 2722 Longs.

The same program compiled in Prop Tool show: Program 4739 Longs, Variable 725 Longs and Stack/Free 2724 Longs.

BST shows Program 4503, Variable 725 and Stack/Free 2960.

BTW JonnyMac, I owe you a debt of gratitude for the many lines of code you have written and shared, that I have learned so much from. When I need an object and don't have the coding skills to write one (which is most of the time), I always look for something you have written because it is generally straightforward and easy to understand. Your efforts are appreciated as well!

• J.R.P. wrote: »
    Hello Brett,

I am a big fan of PropellerIDE, and I like the direction its going, but there are a couple of things that keep it from being my goto tool.

First is the fact that I have to reset my desired font and font size every time I start the program. I like to use Source Code Pro font at size 14, but the settings are not retained.

Second is the lack of a cursor position indicator. I really like the indentation guides of the Propeller Tool, and I know that is on the list, but in the mean time, I think a cursor position would be of some value.

I realize these things are minor issues, but they do detract from my user experience. BTW, I am on a Windows 10 machine.

Thank you very much for your efforts with PropellerIDE!

Best regards,

JP

Hi there! Thanks for your feedback.

Looks like I flubbed something up with the settings being overridden. I added the issue here: https://lamestation.atlassian.net/browse/IDE-154

Can you explain what you mean by a cursor position indicator? It sounds like you are describing an actual text cursor, which is already there. Can you elaborate?

Thanks for your kind words!
  • Brett WeirBrett Weir Posts: 288
    edited 2016-01-13 07:27
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    I'm with you, JP. Two other issues that get on my nerves

-- no block selecting (Alt+Drag) -- I like and use this all the time, and find other editing tools have it
    -- smart tabs -- I'm very picky about my listings and when brought into PropellerIDE they seem to get hosed up

I really couldn't care any less about the themes, and think that should have come later. I do like the windows arrangement and am happy there is now a Memory Map [F8] dialog, but as I reported to Brett and Parallax this morning there may be a problem with the numbers it reports.

Another issue for me is dead code remove. There seems to be an argument between two camps here and Propeller programmers are suffering for it. Right now I'm sticking with Propeller Tool and when I need to clean up unused variables or compile with dead code removed, I run my program through BST.

Hi JonnyMac. I've created an issue for smart tabs: https://lamestation.atlassian.net/browse/IDE-155

I took a look at the numbers reported by Memory Map and it looks like the issue is that I'm reporting the full application size, or program code plus variables. So it's an easy fix. Track it here: https://lamestation.atlassian.net/browse/IDE-156

As per our discussion, there isn't much I can do about OpenSpin itself, but when a new Languages preference tab is released, you'll be able to use some presets and custom compilers. Track it here: https://lamestation.atlassian.net/browse/IDE-28
  • Hello Brett,

I used a poor choice of words to describe the cursor issue. What I would like is a Line/Column indication like Prop Tool, BST, Sublime Text, etc, have in the lower left corner of the screen. When you have a compile error, it point to a Line:Colum. It also helps me make sure I have indented correctly.

Thank you!

• When I use version 0.25.1 it works fine in the terminal, see pic01.
    When I use version 0.34.4 there are startup problems with the terminal,
    see pic02 and pic03, after some time, see pic04 appears things double.
    I do not know if it's a mistake, but there may be a small compiler errors
    In both versions, and a large error in the compiler version 0.34.4.
    The small compiler errors is that they do not find the error Propeller Tool finds
    see pic07.

All three versions offer the same number of bytes.

The great compiler error is seen only in version 0.34.4.
    Try to see pic05 and pic06.

In pic05 program is compiled in version 0.25.1 and Floating Point Math for
    temperature and humidity are fine. It is the same also in the Propeller Tool.

In pic06 program is compiled in version 0.34.4 and Floating Point Math for
    temperature and humidity is much lower.

I will still use version 0.25.1 as it gives me the best terminal
    experience when I sit and developer.

Windows10 64-bit.
    Ubuntu 10.15 64bit.
    800 x 628 - 61K
    673 x 513 - 35K
    673 x 513 - 37K
    673 x 658 - 95K
    673 x 489 - 78K
    673 x 489 - 77K
    1070 x 661 - 69K
  • Hi Bret,
    I was very excited today as I was able to install the latest version in Linux on my Debian Linux laptop. Now I just have to figure out how to promote propellar IDE to an application so I don't have to run it under terminal.
    Jim