Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropellerIDE Development Thread - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

PropellerIDE Development Thread

Comments

• ok, so I got the propeller IDE so that I could click on the dash bar and initiate the program and I can load files etc. However, when I attempt to install the FDTI driver I get this:

jim@debian:~$ sudo apt-get install libftdi1
    bash: sudo: command not found
    jim@debian:~$ apt-get install libftdi1
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    jim@debian:~$

I am a total NOOB to Linux so I need some suggestions from a Linux Guru as to how I get past this little problem. I did set myself up as an administrator user but that did not solve the problem.

Thanks
    Jim

• J.R.P. wrote: »
    Hello Brett,

I used a poor choice of words to describe the cursor issue. What I would like is a Line/Column indication like Prop Tool, BST, Sublime Text, etc, have in the lower left corner of the screen. When you have a compile error, it point to a Line:Colum. It also helps me make sure I have indented correctly.

Thank you!

Hi J.R.P., I think that's a fine idea. I've created an issue for you to track it: https://lamestation.atlassian.net/browse/IDE-162
  • frida wrote: »
    When I use version 0.25.1 it works fine in the terminal, see pic01.
    When I use version 0.34.4 there are startup problems with the terminal,
    see pic02 and pic03, after some time, see pic04 appears things double.

Hmm...that's very peculiar. Do you have the code that you used that caused that? Also, is the baud rate 115200?
    frida wrote: »
    The small compiler errors is that they do not find the error Propeller Tool finds
    see pic07.

There is definitely something going on here. My first guess is that instead of erroring, OpenSpin is silently truncating the value. I created an issue about it here: https://github.com/parallaxinc/OpenSpin/issues/23
    frida wrote: »
    The great compiler error is seen only in version 0.34.4.
    Try to see pic05 and pic06.

In pic05 program is compiled in version 0.25.1 and Floating Point Math for
    temperature and humidity are fine. It is the same also in the Propeller Tool.

In pic06 program is compiled in version 0.34.4 and Floating Point Math for
    temperature and humidity is much lower.

From what I understand, OpenSpin fixes the floating point implementation of the original compiler, but I don't know enough about the issue to say if that's what is happening here. Someone would need to jump in here with more knowledge of the Propeller's floating point status to clarify that.
  • RS_Jim wrote: »
    ok, so I got the propeller IDE so that I could click on the dash bar and initiate the program and I can load files etc. However, when I attempt to install the FDTI driver I get this:

jim@debian:~$ sudo apt-get install libftdi1
    bash: sudo: command not found
    jim@debian:~$ apt-get install libftdi1
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    jim@debian:~$

I am a total NOOB to Linux so I need some suggestions from a Linux Guru as to how I get past this little problem. I did set myself up as an administrator user but that did not solve the problem.

Thanks
    Jim

Hi there, Jim. I was going to say, I was surprised when you said it wasn't showing up in the system menu. I am also very surprised that your installation would not have "sudo" installed by default. Did you perform a custom installation when you first set it up?

Since you are new to Linux, have you considered a more friendly distribution? Like Ubuntu or Mint? They're Debian-based but have more nice things on top to make life easier.

If you're committed to using vanilla Debian, here's a short tutorial on setting up sudo:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/18063/debian-8-1-0-jessie-sudo-fix-not-installed-by-default
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2016-01-15 07:56
    Stick with Debian. Ubuntu is just Debian but broken in interesting ways.

Example: Today my colleague cannot ssh into our Google cloud instances or access Bitbucket using ssh keys and the latest Ubuntu version. This has always worked for him on Mac, Windows, Debian and previous Ubuntu versions.

I'm not sure why that sudo link is titled "debian 8.1.0 jessie - sudo fix". It's not a "fix", nothing is broken. Debian does not install sudo by default because it's a security hazard.

• Brett,
    Thanks for the link. I will try that setup ASAP.
    @Heater thanks for the encouragement.
    Jim
  • Brett,
    The link worked and the drivers are installed. One more quick question, on my windows 7 machine, do I need to reinstall the drivers or since they are installed with the Propeller tool can I bypass that step?
    Jim
  • !htu21d_2.spin is my program
  • You can try the latest version of openspin 1.00.78, I complied a windows version of the latest from github (https://github.com/parallaxinc/OpenSpin) and attached it here
  • fridafrida Posts: 155
    edited 2016-01-16 19:47
    Thank you, but I use linux ubuntu and odroid.
    On Windows, I used Propeller Tool, the original.
  • attached is a Linux version of openspin
  • The differences in floating point between Chip's x86 asm compiler (in PropTool currently) and OpenSpin are very minor. Chip's original code has it's own floating point routines and they have a slight error that causes inaccurate results for the least significant bit in some cases. OpenSpin uses the built in floating point support of C/C++ that follows the IEEE spec. This difference ONLY applies to the floating point constant operations that the compiler does.

So occasionally, you will see slight differences in the constant float values produced by OpenSpin when compared to PropTool's output. OpenSpin's result is more accurate to the IEEE spec.

• RS_Jim wrote: »
    Brett,
    The link worked and the drivers are installed. One more quick question, on my windows 7 machine, do I need to reinstall the drivers or since they are installed with the Propeller tool can I bypass that step?
    Jim

Hi Jim, no, you can bypass that step. =P
  • frida wrote: »
    !htu21d_2.spin is my program

I'm not seeing the issue you're describing. It pops up with "user register bits" and then nothing happens. Are there any additional instructions to reproduce it?
  • Roy Eltham wrote: »
    So occasionally, you will see slight differences in the constant float values produced by OpenSpin when compared to PropTool's output. OpenSpin's result is more accurate to the IEEE spec.

I figured OpenSpin would have the better results. =P
  • I've submitted a fix for this issue: https://github.com/parallaxinc/OpenSpin/issues/23
    I did a new release 1.00.78 of OpenSpin that includes that fix plus some other stuff including a fix for Unused Method Removal from November.

• Hi Jim, no, you can bypass that step. =P

Thanks Brett,
    Glad to hear that!
    Jim
  • @Roadster, can you make me a new one with the latest changes, Roy Eltham made a new 17 January, but only to windoze.
  • frida,
    Check the Downloads section of the readme here: https://github.com/parallaxinc/OpenSpin
    I've added links to get builds other than the windows one I do. Try the TeamCity Linux one for the latest stuff.
  • @Roy Eltham,
    I found a bug with openspin, it seems that the program size is calculated before unused code is removed using the -u command, I get object exceeds memory limits, my work around has been to use -M 35000 command so the program complies to 29K and runs fine
  • Thank you @Roy Eltham, now it catches the error. Floating point also works.
    640 x 338 - 50K
  • Hey guys, I've got a new PropellerIDE release for you!

Check it out here:
    PropellerIDE v0.35.0

Release Notes

This release fully integrates a new Preferences dialog, adds indent guides, and significantly speeds up the user interface with rewritten painting and tab switching code.

Improvements

* IDE-71 - Refactor Preferences Dialog
    * IDE-114 - Replace highlight-based background colors with canvas-based colors
    * IDE-115 - Replace handwritten Preferences dialog with generated version
    * IDE-168 - Use single format for collection of one-part highlighter rules

New Features

* IDE-42 - Add indent guides to Editor widget
    * IDE-27 - Implement MemoryMap
    * IDE-163 - Shift+Enter should be find previous shortcut.
    * IDE-169 - Ctrl+Home/End goes to start/end of document
    * IDE-170 - Support multiple library paths
    * IDE-152 - Align backspace on whitespace with tabstop

Bugs Fixed

* IDE-154 - Saved theme settings are overridden by defaults on startup
    * PROPMAN-24 - PropellerImage reporting incorrect program code size

Tasks Completed

* IDE-137 - Remove "Code suggestion" checkbox
    * IDE-139 - Rename "Clear Settings" to "Restore Defaults"

Components

* Upgrade OpenSpin to 0.3.0

Feedback is always appreciated! Lemme know what you think!
  • Roadster wrote: »
    @Roy Eltham,
    I found a bug with openspin, it seems that the program size is calculated before unused code is removed using the -u command, I get object exceeds memory limits, my work around has been to use -M 35000 command so the program complies to 29K and runs fine

I am aware of this, but can you add it as an issue here: https://github.com/parallaxinc/OpenSpin/issues

• Oh no, not again.

well well well

Now I have tried the new version "Propeller IDE v0.35.0" on win10 and is fine with "Open Spin 0.3.0", the only thing is that the terminal displays twice, it does not delete the text but write the new on top. See the pictures.

On Ubuntu, dear problem child, it's still wrong with floating point with "Open Spin 0.3.0". But if I take Roy Elthams "Linux x86_64" and download, unpack and use this "open spin", the floating point is correct again.

By the way, does Ctrl + F, F3, shift + F3, F5, Ctrl + B, Ctrl ++, Ctrl + -, not work on Ubuntu, either.

The terminal is still slow to get started, so I go back to version 0.25.1 again where the terminal functions immediately and displays only the text once.

But perhaps it is only on my Ubuntu.
    641 x 477 - 11K
    675 x 517 - 18K
    499 x 469 - 22K

PropellerIDE Version 0.35

Issues:
    Does not display the Parallax font. See attached file. Some code uses the Parallax font for documentation.

I cannot see any changes when I select/deselect the indent guides. I like this feature in the Prop Tool a lot.

I do not like the automatic saving of the source code on run.

John Abshier
    1451 x 785 - 114K
  • Is there an instruction document for PropellerIDE. I see references to things like bookmarks and autocomplete, but don't know how to use them.

John Abshier

PropellerIDE Version 0.35

Issues:
    Does not display the Parallax font. See attached file. Some code uses the Parallax font for documentation.

I cannot see any changes when I select/deselect the indent guides. I like this feature in the Prop Tool a lot.

I do not like the automatic saving of the source code on run.

John Abshier

Hi John, thanks for your feedback. That's very odd behavior. I've never seen the font do that before. Are there any other fonts that show the same behavior?

It should be noted that the use of the Parallax font is considered deprecated and has only remained for legacy support, because, well, it does things like this and makes Spin code inherently not portable. So if there is a problem with it, I strongly recommend switching to a different font.

What do you mean when you say you cannot see changes? Currently you have to close the Preferences dialog to see the changes. The new guides are much more subtle than in PropTool. Try indenting to many levels and they'll be more noticeable.

Support for compiling without saving is planned for a future release.
  • Brett WeirBrett Weir Posts: 288
    edited 2016-01-20 03:14
    Is there an instruction document for PropellerIDE. I see references to things like bookmarks and autocatomplete, but don't know how to use them.

John Abshier

The IDE has been in a state of considerable flux so I have not written one. But now that you mention it, that's probably a good idea at this point. I'll see about putting something together.
  • Hello Brett,

I would like to mention that on 35.0 (I saw this on earlier versions as well), I'm seeing a problem with the serial terminal.

I load a simple program that repeatedly outputs a number (for example pst.dec(1))to the serial terminal using the WRITE command (F11). When I open the serial terminal, The indicator in the upper left is green (and the window background sort of a purple color). However no characters appear in the window. If I push the ACTIVE button, the indicator goes dark (and the window color goes dark). When I push it again, the indicator goes green (the window color is the purple color again) and I see the number 1. In other words, to see anything in the terminal window, I have to push ACTIVE button twice before anything appears.

However, if subsequently change the program to send a different number (for example pst.dec(1)) with RUN command (after writing the previous program to eeprom) , when I open the terminal window and do ACTIVE button push twice, the number 1from the program in eeprom appears. In other words, pushing the ACTIVE button twice appears to reset the prop.

This happens every time for me and it makes it impossible to use the terminal window unless the program is written to eeprom.

The good news is that the settings retention, and memory map code size that I complained about seem to be working. Also the indentation guides are working - Thank you!

I'm using a Windows 10 machine.

JP
  • J.R.P. wrote: »
    Hello Brett,

I would like to mention that on 35.0 (I saw this on earlier versions as well), I'm seeing a problem with the serial terminal.

I load a simple program that repeatedly outputs a number (for example pst.dec(1))to the serial terminal using the WRITE command (F11). When I open the serial terminal, The indicator in the upper left is green (and the window background sort of a purple color). However no characters appear in the window. If I push the ACTIVE button, the indicator goes dark (and the window color goes dark). When I push it again, the indicator goes green (the window color is the purple color again) and I see the number 1. In other words, to see anything in the terminal window, I have to push ACTIVE button twice before anything appears.

However, if subsequently change the program to send a different number (for example pst.dec(1)) with RUN command (after writing the previous program to eeprom) , when I open the terminal window and do ACTIVE button push twice, the number 1from the program in eeprom appears. In other words, pushing the ACTIVE button twice appears to reset the prop.

This happens every time for me and it makes it impossible to use the terminal window unless the program is written to eeprom.

The good news is that the settings retention, and memory map code size that I complained about seem to be working. Also the indentation guides are working - Thank you!

I'm using a Windows 10 machine.

JP

Hi JRP, this is a known problem with PropellerManager. Here's what's happening.

PropellerManager handles physically opening/closing devices automatically when needed by a session. This allows multiple applications to share a single device, and is supposed to minimize resets when switching a session between devices.

The problem is that if a session is already open, but the port is switched to a device that hasn't been used before, PropellerManager should open the new device, but it doesn't. It's more of an oversight, really, but I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

If your system only has one serial device, it isn't a problem because the device that's opened with the session is the one you want to use, but on systems like Windows where there seems to always be some COM devices first that are never used, it's a bigger issue.

A lot of these kinds of issues are just the fact that PropellerIDE is still far from a finished product, but hey, I get a little further every day.

So that's the skinny. I made an issue to track it:
    https://lamestation.atlassian.net/browse/PROPMAN-29

Other than that, I'm glad to hear that you like the other changes. :)