Comments

• msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2015-01-18 21:40
    This is beautiful, thank you @erco

Enjoy!

Mike
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2015-01-18 21:43
    Many of these video demos are by Brits. Perhaps the Magic Switchbox was invented by Lucas Electrics.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-01-18 22:16
    erco wrote: »
    And one kid's rambling explanation:

His video painfully reminds me of some of my own.

There are some fun "magic" LEDs and switches which don't use microcontrollers but they do involve a lot of surgery to the LEDs and switches. They use a combination of inductors, capacitors and resistors to tie the control of individual LEDs with individual switches.

I gather from the kid explanation, these magic switch boards require some skill from the performer to remember with lights come on when. The surgically modified LEDs and switches don't require any practice to operate. I'll try to find a link.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2015-01-18 22:26
    Don't be mean. It looks like Lucas even sold wire harnesses to Mercedes Benz.

I do have one (or two) of them problem child's. 1993 500SL and 1995 SL500. Both have a problem with 'biodegradable insulation'. Yes. The insulation of the wires in the 3 main engine harnesses is destroying itself overtime. Them engines run smooth so you do not have any problems until you MOVE the wire harness. Then you get shorts and destroy expensive electronic modules, not (or too expensive) to buy for a 20+ year old car.

I cut (carefully) the top harness open on the 1993 500SL and you see blank wires hold apart by small pieces of insulation left. The rest of the insulation is crumbled away.

And this is on a German 'Super Car', top line of Mercedes Benz, sold for ~$120,000.- Sticker Price in 1993.

As far as I know, MB used them biodegradable harnesses from 1993 to 1995. Great. So both of mine are affected.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-01-19 03:39
    erco,
    Perhaps the Magic Switchbox was invented by Lucas Electrics.
    Lucas might have tried but as I recall it was a bit of a lottery as to which switch operated which device at any given time in a car with Lucas electrics.

When it rained all the hazard and brake lights would come on by themselves. Which was just as well because the engine would have cut out due to shorted HT anyway leaving you dead in the middle of the road.

No joke, this happened to me. Happy days...
    edited 2015-01-19 09:33
    Here's one without a case and I don't think it relies on any tricks from the performer.

http://hackaday.com/2011/12/19/ask-hackaday-troll-physics-edition/
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2015-01-19 12:41
    ...and one kid's rambling explanation...

THAT was friggin' painful. Couldn't finish watching.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,614
    edited 2015-01-19 15:39
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Here's one without a case and I don't think it relies on any tricks from the performer.

http://hackaday.com/2011/12/19/ask-hackaday-troll-physics-edition/

He uses his iron to transfer the solder. His circuits never work as expected because of how bad his soldering skills are.
  • tomcrawfordtomcrawford Posts: 1,126
    edited 2015-01-19 16:29
    He uses his iron to transfer the solder. His circuits never work as expected because of how bad his soldering skills are.

+ 100
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-01-20 10:32
    davejames wrote: »
    THAT was friggin' painful. Couldn't finish watching.

Same here. Can't help but wonder who they think they're impressing.
  • DomanikDomanik Posts: 233
    edited 2015-01-20 13:03
    A good trick...

And one kid's rambling explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA21m1x8MCI
    Yes, the kid's rambling was a little rough, but, heck, it eventually led to some interesting disclosures.

In case you missed it, the solution uses half-logic levels as seen here:....Half-Logic
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2015-01-20 16:21
    Wow, some tricky thinking went into making that circuit! First bit, this is obviously a circuit with a lot of concealed components. Power comes from an induction coil under the table or a concealed battery while the batteries in the tray are just decoys. The switch caps have some electrical components in them. I'd love to see the switch caps and modified switches up close! Similarly, the lamps have a good bit of extra circuitry added to them. After reading the "Troll Physics" comments on Hackaday I'd guess it's based on AC currents and filters. I could also see doing it with a bunch of 1-wire tags, a microprocessor, and tiny wires hidden inside the insulation of the visible wires.

Marty
    edited 2015-01-20 16:34
    Lawson wrote: »
    The switch caps have some electrical components in them. I'd love to see the switch caps and modified switches up close!

Do you mean the little colored bits on the tip of the switches? I think they're just the normal switch caps. The person switching the switches knows which lights come on in which order. Much of the trick is just memorizing which lights will light when.

The "Troll Physics" circuit relies on clever electronics the one with colored caps on the switches is just a performance trick. At least that's what the rambling kid said. That and he likes Radio Shack.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2015-01-20 16:44
    I love this stuff!!

This thread reminds me of this http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/142040-LED-stuck-ON

I started making another one.

[video=youtube_share;Nx6gvN-NW4o]

As you can see in my video I use simple point to point wiring as well.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2015-01-20 17:37
    xanadu wrote: »
    I love this stuff!!

This thread reminds me of this http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/142040-LED-stuck-ON

I started making another one.

As you can see in my video I use simple point to point wiring as well.

I can squeeze three little insulated wires (vero wire) in the red insulation too. The solder connection to the black can be clearly seen but the red connection tucks out of sight with the insulation still in place.
    edited 2015-01-20 17:52
    Nice one :) I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with the wiring in the first video.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-01-22 12:39
    I am preferring to believe it's all done with Magic Electrons.

I believe. I believe. I believe. I believe. I believe ...
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2015-01-22 20:26
    But all electrons are Magic Electrons.. the way I see it, electricity is magic in the Real World. If you came from a reality with no electrons (I know, I know..) and was reading fantasy books about magic, nothing would really compete with what electrons can do.

-Tor
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-01-22 20:35
    It is all ledgerdomain, same thing at Microsoft.

Some people want to know, others just want to believe. (Trust me on this...)
  • davefrtdavefrt Posts: 8
    edited 2015-08-27 16:40
    Hello all... i m new here...
    And l see that....
    Face....
    961460front.jpg.
    edited 2015-08-27 18:33
    This is the switchbox and fuse 2015 new idea....
  • Is there a video?
    edited 2015-08-27 17:07
    wait i make the video tomorrow...

but i like it to,because just pieces of plastic moove....
    edited 2015-08-27 16:06
    with more détails...
    859275rear.jpg
    edited 2015-08-27 18:31
    this is video:

tell me what you think about it new 2015 switchbox and fuse .....
    edited 2015-08-27 20:58
    Very nice! Never gets old!

Welcome to the forum :)
  • Thanks so much...

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Love it! Nice job.
  • have you find the real secret....
  • Yes, I did some searching and found the preferred method. I'm not sure how they used this method in the clear cases, but it was less extravagant than I had imagined so maybe there is another way. The method I read about uses switches you can't see, and they don't need to be flipped with your fingers.