Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robot movies...got a favorite? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Robot movies...got a favorite?

Comments

• mklrobomklrobo Posts: 420
    edited 2014-07-04 05:52
    erco wrote: »

Robot Carnival is 70% odd and 30% cool for my tastes. At least it's free on youtube. My favorite too-brief sequence is at 14:40, the rough pencil animation intro to "Cloud", where a baby robot first learns how to stand and dance. Very charming IMO.

:) Awesome Anime! 5 stars! :) Those kind of animes is what I would see late at night, or early in the morning. They leave me with
    some kind of spiritual questioning, that makes me more curious about the depth of technology.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-07-06 05:23
    mklrobo,

I just watched Lightyears on YouTube on your recommendation.

It's kind of nice but I didn't detect any "way out concepts" over and above what has been the regular diet of SciFi since forever.

As far as I can tell this is no Asimov creation. He only reviewed the script at some point.

The robots, "machine men", were kind of secondary to the plot.

Music and sound was well done though.

I liked the "was/will be" thing. After all it can be argued that the past and the future are infinitely long but the instance of "now" is small enough not to exist. "Now" is different for all of us anyway.
    edited 2014-07-06 19:18
    Heater. wrote: »
    mklrobo,

I just watched Lightyears on YouTube on your recommendation.

It's kind of nice but I didn't detect any "way out concepts" over and above what has been the regular diet of SciFi since forever.

As far as I can tell this is no Asimov creation. He only reviewed the script at some point.

The robots, "machine men", were kind of secondary to the plot.

Music and sound was well done though.

I liked the "was/will be" thing. After all it can be argued that the past and the future are infinitely long but the instance of "now" is small enough not to exist. "Now" is different for all of us anyway.

What did you think of the artwork done on the characters? nicely done........ :)
    I bought the video, and Asimovs name was above the title. There again, advertising can be misleading.
    I wonder where the castle's head went to, and then, from whence it came?
    organic robots? :)
    edited 2014-07-07 06:16
    The art work seemed to be nicely done. Hard to tell as the YouTube vid I found was grabbed off a VCR and the quality was not great. The girls looked good anyway.

Yes, where did that head run away to? Damn, I might have to watch it again, preferably from a DVD or whatever.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2014-07-08 10:49
    I'll put in a plug for Robot and Frank, unabashedly because the director was a my sons' classmate in high school and junior theater programs. Robot is not the technically challenging sort. Quite the opposite. He is meant to be ordinary, a household appliance within the familiar future world he inhabits. With Frank Langella as Frank, Susan Sarandon as his love interest, and Peter Sarsgaard as Robot's voice.
  • Jim the HermitJim the Hermit Posts: 79
    edited 2014-07-13 08:05
    Bubo from Clash of the Titans!
    bubo-mechanical-owl.jpeg

Also Disney's The Black Hole had some cool robots
    http://movies.disney.com/the-black-hole
    373 x 479 - 59K
    edited 2014-07-13 08:28
    Bubo from Clash of the Titans!
    bubo-mechanical-owl.jpeg

Also Disney's The Black Hole had some cool robots
    http://movies.disney.com/the-black-hole

The black hole did have some cool robots! Also, in the Movie Real Steel, where there are battling robots. Wait, that really happened right? Oh no,
    just science fiction. :(
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-07-13 12:09
    Robot and Frank
    Is this the one where the Robot helps Frank steal? If so, when I first read the description I thought it was going to be dumb, but after watching it I found it was very good.
    edited 2014-07-15 15:58
    I have to put in a vote for "Dark Star". You may not agree but I'm going to count the philosophical smart bomb in Dark Star as a robot.

And I second RoboCop. Who would not want an ED-209 of their own?
  • Hal AlbachHal Albach Posts: 747
    edited 2014-07-15 17:05
    I really enjoyed Pixar's love-struck trash compactor, WALL-E.
    edited 2014-07-17 16:36
    I have to put in a vote for "Dark Star". You may not agree but I'm going to count the philosophical smart bomb in Dark Star as a robot.

And I second RoboCop. Who would not want an ED-209 of their own?
    No doubt! Gotta have an ED-209! There was a movie, back in the 60 - 70's, that the artificial intelligence developed by the scientist, took over
    his house. The AI had a "child", but it died, like Lt. Data's daughter. I can not remember the title.......?
    Artifical Intelligence was good, with David and the blue fairy.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2014-07-17 20:39
    I can't believe this one was missed.. One of my favorite robots from early childhood..

robots_twiki.jpg
    302 x 302 - 15K
    edited 2014-07-18 01:48
    Missed no. Deliberately not mention because Buck Rogers was terrible.

Mind you, I loved Dr Who since seeing the first episode broadcast in 1963. Most of that was of questionable quality though. Remember the stupid K9 robotic dog for example?

What I do find unbelievable is that no one has mentioned Terminator. Or perhaps that's just to obvious and taken for granted.

edited 2014-07-18 08:33

What I do find unbelievable is that no one has mentioned Terminator. Or perhaps that's just to obvious and taken for granted.

:cool:Terminator is an ICON beyond the beyond. No robot movie is in its class.:cool:
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2014-07-20 17:03
    Missed no. Deliberately not mention because Buck Rogers was terrible.

BeedeeBeedeeBeedeeBeedee Those are fighting words, Buck..
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2014-07-20 18:54
    I posted a message in the general section regarding a recent viewing of Short Circuit 2 and its Radio Shack connection.

So it got me thinking...what other robot related movies have I missed?

Here's a list from Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Robot_films

So what's your favorite robotic movie?

Any additional movies that Wikipedia missed?

That's easy!! The best robot movie ever made was "tobor"!!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2014-07-20 20:25
    4x5n wrote: »
    That's easy!! The best robot movie ever made was "tobor"!!

Robot Monster is right out.
    edited 2014-07-21 19:37
    :nerd: I did not know about this move, Cool!:nerd:
    I will have to buy the dvd. Anybody know much about an old
    movie with short green aliens? less that 1970s time. There was one
    was scarred me, but I can not remember thename of it:innocent:
  • tjwebertjweber Posts: 20
    edited 2014-07-22 19:34
    mklrobo - the movie was Demon Seed - and as I remember the child of the AI lived.
    edited 2014-07-23 08:58
    tjweber wrote: »
    mklrobo - the movie was Demon Seed - and as I remember the child of the AI lived.

:lol: Thanks for finding that movie! That was a scary one!( to me, anyway, especially near the end!):frown:
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-07-23 12:35
    mklrobo - the movie was Demon Seed
    See post #8
    edited 2014-07-24 04:56
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    See post #8
    Sorry that I did not see that entry.:innocent: You did a great job helping too! Thanks.:smile:
    edited 2014-07-25 06:32
    "The Robot Spy" on the original Johnny Quest.
  • ValeTValeT Posts: 308
    edited 2014-07-26 15:22
    I don't know if anyone has said this, but Star Wars and Star Trek!!!! By far my most favorite movies with robots; well, I guess an argument could be made for IRobot.....
    edited 2014-07-27 05:41
    ValeT wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone has said this, but Star Wars and Star Trek!!!! By far my most favorite movies with robots; well, I guess an argument could be made for IRobot.....

Cool! What about Real Steel with Hugh Jackman? That was a cool movie.
  • whiteoxewhiteoxe Posts: 794
    edited 2014-08-06 00:27
    Whit wrote: »
    Not really a movie, but when I was a kid I loved Lost in Space - A Trip through the Robot episode - you can watch it here - http://www.hulu.com/watch/14657

Do you know of anyway I can watch full episodes of lost in space fro outside the US ?
    edited 2014-08-06 10:45
    whiteoxe wrote: »
    Do you know of anyway I can watch full episodes of lost in space fro outside the US ?
    To be sure, Lost in Space can be had outside the US! If not, I am sure someone could "slip" you some episodes..........:smile:
    edited 2014-12-17 08:35
    Elysium had some realistic robots in that movie.

I wonder.......Are there any Christmas Robot movies?
    ? :) ?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2014-12-17 17:12
    I haven't seen "Interstellar" yet, but I have heard much about the robots TARS and CASE.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/11/14/tars_the_interstellar_robot_should_be_the_future_of_artificial_intelligence.html
  • jonesjones Posts: 281
    edited 2014-12-17 21:00
    Hal Albach wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Pixar's love-struck trash compactor, WALL-E.
    Yup. WALL-E by a wide margin.