the PropBSC or "Propeller: BASIC Stamp Compatible" development thread
The purpose of this post is to provide details regarding a new product that has been completed to the prototype stage. A colleague of mine and I have worked together on creating a product that fits a particular gap that exists in the market while also providing additional features not currently available with other active Propeller based assemblies. We are at a point that we would like to make the design known to the forums and request for feedback regarding the current design.
Project Purpose: A mini Propeller based module that is compatible to the BASIC Stamp connection pinout and provides full circuit versatitlity to Propeller based projects. It is to provide a method of using a Propeller microcontroller in place of a BASIC stamp with absolute minimal impact to existing PCBs that accept a 24 pin BASIC Stamp module. It is also designed to be used as a core module for building your own Propeller based projects.
Project Status: Currently completed Prototype build and qualification of full functionality. After reviewing feedback, review shall be performed before continuing to production stage.
- Propeller P8X32A-M44 Microcontroller
- 32KB EEPROM (64KB Option)
- Micro USB for programming as well as direct power input (use your cell phone charger to power your project)
- 5 Mhz Crystal
- Vin of 2.5V to 12V supporting automatic step-up to step-down to provide 5V output with up to 2.5A current capability (buck boost switcher)
- Up to 93% efficiency and greater than 80% efficient under light loads to support battery operation
- Max 26mV ripple under load
- Can run down to an input voltage of 1.9v, but requires a minimum of 2.1v to start up.
- Power options are wide: 2 AA batteries, 3.7v LiPo, coin cells, solar cells, 7.2v NiCAD packs, etc
- 3.3V available on header with 2A current capacity
- Max 18mV ripple under load
- Step down switcher is sourced from 5v output
- Compatible with 3.3 and 5 volt logic systems:
- Bi-directional level translators provide 5V I/O on P0-P15 (translators stable to 60MHZ)
- Prop P16-P31 3.3v I/O accessible
- 600 Mil, 24 pin, BS2 compatible headers on bottom side
- Compatible with Parallax BS2 Carrier Boards:
- USB and Serial Boards of Education
- BS2 Carrier Board
- BS2 Super Carrier Board
- Professional Development Board
- All Power and IOs accessible from top via 0.050" pitch headers
- Dimensions: 1.1" W x 1.4" L x 0.55" H
- Plans for add on boards (breakout, prototyping area, etc)