Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stingray Robot Kit (#28980) and Wheel Encoders - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Stingray Robot Kit (#28980) and Wheel Encoders

Comments

• smithdavidpsmithdavidp Posts: 146
    edited 2012-08-30 03:13
    Can we pre-pay, like we did with the Prop BOE, or do we have to wait for it to be posted?
  • TLCTLC Posts: 74
    edited 2012-09-07 09:29
    This is really great news! The only complaint I've had with Eddie so far is the resolution of the wheel encoder. jrhanobic brought up my latest question. I just commissioned the 4 "extra" ports on the Eddie control board (by soldering in a header) to control a stepper motor. What are the plans for Eddie upgrade both from a hardware (GPIO pins) and a software (Eddie firmware) perspective? The RDS4 service should be fine.

Todd
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-09-07 20:44
    So.. I'm guessing my Mystery bag won't include Stingray wheel encoders?

Oh well, I will just head on over to the Splash cafe and grab a bowl of clam chowder...:smile:

-Tommy
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2012-09-10 08:50
    Hi all -
    Product doc should be finished today, and pics should be done within the next day or two - then it'll be up on the Site.
    Oh well, I will just head on over to the Splash cafe and grab a bowl of clam chowder...:smile:
    That hurts Tommy!
    -MattG
    edited 2012-09-10 08:58
    This is really great news! The only complaint I've had with Eddie so far is the resolution of the wheel encoder. jrhanobic brought up my latest question. I just commissioned the 4 "extra" ports on the Eddie control board (by soldering in a header) to control a stepper motor. What are the plans for Eddie upgrade both from a hardware (GPIO pins) and a software (Eddie firmware) perspective? The RDS4 service should be fine.

Todd
    Hi Todd-
    Yes, this encoder greatly increases the resolution (4x). However, the existing MMWK does have some inherent backlash in its gearbox - that we can't mitigate just yet. I think it's about 3/8", or so. However, I think that much of that might be insignificant in many applications - especially in outdoor applications...
    -MattG
    edited 2012-09-10 09:10
    (At the risk of turning this into an Eddie thread -but this does deal with the New Encoder)...

Now, to add to our bag of tricks...

For existing Eddie and MadeUSA users -

As you know when you assembled your Motor Mount and Wheel Kit, there is a point where you insert a spring-pin through the main drive axle. This pin *binds* itself into the hole and mates with the drive hub on the wheel assembly.

To upgrade to the new Encoder you'll have to remove the spring-ping to be able to remove the old encoder wheel, and install the new one.

Unless you have a nice set of punch-pins, removing this spring-pin is virtually impossible without causing damage to the aluminum axle itself.

Not to worry :thumb:

What we've got is an "Encoder Wheel Upgrade Kit" - it eliminates the need to remove the spring-pin -, and the entire upgrade process takes about 30 minutes - with no damage to the axles, no need for special tools, and non-detectable frustration levels.

Wanna see pics?
    -MattG
    edited 2012-09-10 09:25
    oh, and yes, there is a firmware update in the works too. David Carrier is our resident "Encoder Firmware Update Expert". :thumb:
    -MattG
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-09-10 10:51
    oh, and yes, there is a firmware update in the works too. David Carrier is our resident "Encoder Firmware Update Expert". :thumb:
    -MattG

Hey Matt, Do you know if that firmware update applies to the original position encoders for the large wheel kit? I'd really like to know if the fix for setting the direction of rotation has been added that I've been asking about. It should have been a couple lines of code and with that in there it would keep large robots from trying to run over their owners. Been there done that. At least it missed the picture window..........

Robert
    edited 2012-09-10 12:06
    Hey Matt, Do you know if that firmware update applies to the original position encoders for the large wheel kit? I'd really like to know if the fix for setting the direction of rotation has been added that I've been asking about. It should have been a couple lines of code and with that in there it would keep large robots from trying to run over their owners. Been there done that. At least it missed the picture window..........

Robert

You get a big Amen from here brother. Mine turns left and right gentle as a lamb but forward or backward it's a jack rabbit.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-09-10 12:13
    Luckily I was able to get most of the skid marks off the hardwood floor. The wife didn't notice so I'm ok....
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2012-09-10 12:54
    Wives are absolute saints for putting up with their husbands' skid marks. Not necessarily those on the ground. :)
    edited 2012-09-10 13:24
    I'm in the process of buying a house. The basement is finished and I have a new robotics lab. Of course then I don't have a wife yet. Things in the proper order right?
    edited 2012-09-10 18:23
    That hurts Tommy!
    -MattG
    Yah, but I was thinking of you!.:smile:

We have decided to extend Summer in Pismo until the 22nd this month, So get You and Yours down to the Sea ASAP.
    Chowder's on us, and the Sunsets are always free...:cool:

Just to keep on topic somewhat, I was wondering about the Stingray encoder VS motor power connections,
    Will I have to bend the - and + power connections out the way of the new encoder?
    I did notice the connections on my motors are not oriented the same as the ones in the pictures of the prototype.
    No big deal, just need to know how much to bend them, It doesn't look like they want to be bent alot...

-Tommy
    edited 2012-09-10 18:38
    Hey Tommy -
    I'm actually writing the Encoder's Product Documentation right now, and here's the cool part...

You don't need to worry about where the motor terminals are located, because I'm documenting a method of "clocking" the motor's gear head so that they can all be oriented like the one's you see in the posts above - no worries - every Stingray in the wild can look just like the one I have in protective custody here :-)

-MattG
    edited 2012-09-10 19:39
    Sweet! sounds like you got it handled. can't wait to see it in action. :thumb::thumb:

-Tommy

P.S.
    It's not my fault you're not sitting on the beach, by the fire with your family, eating good clam chowder right now.
    Try moving one of the ceiling tiles and see if you can find a way out through a roof vent or something...:cool:
    edited 2012-09-10 19:58
    I'm in the process of buying a house. The basement is finished and I have a new robotics lab. Of course then I don't have a wife yet. Things in the proper order right?
    smithdavidp! I mustive made a wrong turn somewhere?...my robotics lab is still only a distant dream - it's HER garage right now...don't you dare post pics to make the rest of us jealous. No really don't...stop...:tongue:
    -MattG
    edited 2012-09-10 20:00
    Wives are absolute saints for putting up with their husbands' skid marks. Not necessarily those on the ground.
    thanks for that, Mr. Classy.
    -MattG
    edited 2012-09-15 22:01
    Here is my brand new Stingray robot...sitting on a shelf...with no encoders...:coffee:
    StingRay parts.jpg

-Tommy

:smile::smile:
    1024 x 768 - 61K
    edited 2012-09-16 01:28
    Now that's sad........will somone get that man some encoders please!!!!
  • jedixjedix Posts: 2
    edited 2012-09-16 05:41
    What are the advantages of this new system compared to this one : http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?126385-NEW!-Quadrature-Encoder-PID-Controller (LynxmotionQuadrature MotorEncoder ). Will it be more accurate or not ? Thanks :)
  • TLCTLC Posts: 74
    edited 2012-09-18 12:10
    Thanks Matt, I'm looking forward to the upgrade. When I noticed the backlash I dissected the wheel assembly to see where the problem was. Since it was in the gearbox of the motor:
    1. It was nothing I could fix.
    2. Since the encoder was attached to the axle it wasn't really much of an issue to me. Just in case whenever I applied drive power I used the mass of Eddie and applied just enough power to snug up the wheels, but not move the robot. I would then reset the encoders and proceed.
  • Kris CardoenKris Cardoen Posts: 46
    edited 2012-11-25 13:10
    Hi,

It has been a while since the last update. Is this development still ongoing, or is there a target date?

Regards,
    Kris
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2012-11-26 14:01
    Hello,

As far as I know these are in the production pipeline at this point and we'll be posting them available as soon as they've been completed and kitted. I will try to contact Matt G as soon as I can and see if he can provide a better update.
    edited 2012-11-26 14:14
    Chris is right (as usual)...there's one more little reason thing as to "why" they're not up today, but that will become apparent in a week or so.../Gomer Pyle voice on/...surrrprise, surrrprise, surrrprise :-)
    -MattG
    edited 2012-11-26 21:23
    eating_popcorn.gif

-Tommy
    35 x 35 - 3K
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-02-07 22:45
    So are the backshafts on the stingrays motor turning at the speed of the DC motor and not the gearbox, if that make sense? When will these encoders be available?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-02-08 10:03
    The encoder fits on the motor shaft, not the output shaft which is geared. Matt just replied in another thread about these encoders. I am posting a link below.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/137677-Very-Unhappy?p=1161864#post1161864
  • jtilghmanjtilghman Posts: 67
    edited 2013-02-19 08:47
    I would love to try these out.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2013-02-19 08:51
    This ornery hombre is taking matters into his own hands. :)
    1024 x 768 - 63K
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2013-02-19 09:54
    erco wrote: »
    This ornery hombre is taking matters into his own hands. :)
    Where did you mount the sensor? I don't see it in the image.