Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller II - Page 31 — Parallax Forums

Propeller II

Comments

• KyeKye Posts: 2,200
    edited 2012-08-18 06:20
    @Sapieha - SD cards that do not have an MBR will not be supported. In fact... Non-SDHC (or newer SD cards) may not be supported. Older SD cards and MMC cards are full of a bunch of problems that Chip did not like hearing about when I told them about them. He is is favor of simple solutions.

@Cluso99 and @all - The MBR contains the size of the partition in sectors and the starting sector address of the partition. Thus, you could write a contiguous file to the FAT partition and then point the partition the propeller will boot from to the file. Thus, you have your solution where you can update by drag and drop. SIMPLE! :)

(But, you cannot trust where a file is on the FAT and if it's contiguous without having block level access to the SD card... So, the link between the partition pointer and the file could be broken)

@Hinv - You should have joined in with me and Chip's 3 hour discussion. There are many caveats with SD cards. ;)
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,192
    edited 2012-08-18 06:31
    Partitionless (No MBR) booting is no different from the ROMs view. No problem supporting it.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2012-08-18 06:31
    Go for it Kye - you seem to be the know it all !!!!
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2012-08-18 07:01
    Hi Kye.

This time I need say ---- You are wrong.
    Aribs (Andy's) code will boot any SD

And with Values I pointed on one of pictures ---- You can calculate starting point of FILE area on any SD You imagine.

You maybe are good on HIGH level FILE System programing
    But I see ---- You are not so good on LOW level on it.

I have worked with that since 1980 and I think I know little how it function --- BUT still I don't say I know all on it

If You place that file on freshly formated SD / HD / FLOPY
    It always will start as first block in file area and be contiguous.

I have much more to say on that SD / HD / Flopy handle ---- BUT I see it no need for that as someone already have said --- THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

Kye wrote: »
    @Sapieha - SD cards that do not have an MBR will not be supported. In fact... Non-SDHC (or newer SD cards) may not be supported. Older SD cards and MMC cards are full of a bunch of problems that Chip did not like hearing about when I told them about them. He is is favor of simple solutions.

@Cluso99 and @all - The MBR contains the size of the partition in sectors and the starting sector address of the partition. Thus, you could write a contiguous file to the FAT partition and then point the partition the propeller will boot from to the file. Thus, you have your solution where you can update by drag and drop. SIMPLE! :)

(But, you cannot trust where a file is on the FAT and if it's contiguous without having block level access to the SD card... So, the link between the partition pointer and the file could be broken)

@Hinv - You should have joined in with me and Chip's 3 hour discussion. There are many caveats with SD cards. ;)
    edited 2012-08-18 07:08
    Sapieha wrote: »
    If You place that file on freshly formated SD / HD / FLOPY
    It always will start as first block in file area and be contiguous.

Hehe, yes, we know that works when it's a fresh format. But I'm pretty certain we can do better than having to reformat every time. Ie: I think the Raspberry Pi method sucks, personally.
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    edited 2012-08-18 07:10
    @Cluso - you have been so very patient to explain again and again - you don'T want to throw the towel - don'T you?
    edited 2012-08-18 07:19
    Hi evanh

NONE of OS's can place its SYSTEM files without reformatting.
    That is price You need pay for possibility to BOOT from FLOPY / HD / SD and any other media.

evanh wrote: »
    Hehe, yes, we know that works when it's a fresh format. But I'm pretty certain we can do better than having to reformat every time. Ie: I think the Raspberry Pi method sucks, personally.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,621
    edited 2012-08-18 07:32
    If the Propeller put a prop boot partition (not partition type 0) and a unformatted FAT partition on an SD card and then you put the card into a windows computer to format it, I'm pretty sure it would only format and know that it would only show the FAT partition. I have an SD card with partition 0 being a propeller partition (I needed fast disk access) and partition 1 being a FAT partition. I formatted it with Linux (GParted and then fdisk to change the partition type), and neither the Propeller nor the computer have had problems with it. In fact, I completely forgot about it until now!
    edited 2012-08-18 07:56
    Sapieha wrote: »
    NONE of OS's can place its SYSTEM files without reformatting.

While it may be the normal to do the reformat, and repartition too, it's not mandatory.

On top of that, with the Prop, the amount of data needed to be loaded, to support FAT32 filesystem, is very small. After this is loaded normal files can be used for the main program. On the other hand, if a filesystem is not desired then by all means set up a separate partition.

Either method can be supported as per current plans.

EDIT: Whatever the method chosen, a tool for managing the raw blocks (Whether it's a contiguous file, or using the reserved space, or a whole other partition) should be written or integrated into a front-end.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2012-08-18 08:11
    I agree re/ using MBR to get a pointer to a 32KB contiguous chunk.

Reason: I'd prefer if the SD loader was file system agnostic, and not tied to FAT*
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    evanh: FAT16 & FAT32 cards are available preformatted today, but perhaps not tomorrow. Why force something that's not required?

For the minimal boot, I anticipate that only 1024 bytes will initially be required. We could use a few of the boot records but they have been defined with differing uses depending on where you look. That is why I suggested a pointer to a sector where 2 contiguous sectors could be found. As an alternative, use 2 pointers to 2 sectors if you wish (or a few more)?

Why such a commotion with what filesystem/structure needs to be on the SD card??? Use the MBR record as a pointer(s). This IS WORKING NOW !!! I posted code and so has ariba. We both only have to trim the code to simplified pasm. Our concepts are very similar.

Anyway, I have a little time so I will spend a bit more time on it. For those who wish to give this a try (or help), see my previous posts #535, #552 & #558 on page 14, #567 on page 15, and ariba's code on #786 on page 20). While it was more difficult in hindsight than starting again, I wanted to use code that I know works - I ship this code on all my RamBlades. It is just a matter of simplifying the current code and then converting the spin code to pasm.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,621
    edited 2012-08-18 08:21
    A separate partition wouldn't leave you tied to FAT.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2012-08-18 08:41
    Looks really good!
    Ariba wrote: »
    Clusso, my code is already trimmed to 151 longs in PASM 1 code. The difference is I test only one long instead of a 12 char string, and this at location 400.
    This new version combines the shortcut in the MBR (or what else is at sector 0) with the sectorwise searching for a signature at the begin of a boot-file. It does work here with SD cards (<=2GB) , and SDHC cards (>= 4GB).

For a bootable SD card you copy the bootfile to the fresh formated SD card - that was it.
    Then the bootloader finds no shortcut in the MBR so it searches up to sector 19000 for a sector with the signature. This takes several seconds.

So if you want it faster use a (Spin)- Utility to write the shortcut, and now it boots in a few ms.

You can overwrte the boot file everytime with new code if it fits in the already allocated clusters. If you want disable booting you need to overwrite it with a file with wrong signature, just deleting will not help.

I have changed the place of the MBR shortcut a bit, so I have also attached the new utility.
    ' Minimal SD booter Test
    ' ----------------------
    ' by Andy Schenk, Insonix
    con
      _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

do  = 8      'sd pins
       clk = 9
       di  = 10
       cs  = 11

obj  dbg: "FullDuplexSerial"

pub Main : i | tm
    '
    ' This Spin code is not part of the boot code, it
    ' just starts the PASM cog and shows the result
    '
      waitcnt(clkfreq*3+cnt)
      dbg.start(31,30,0,115200)

cognew(@entry, 0)

dbg.str(string("searching file...",13))
      tm := cnt
      repeat until (i := long[$7000-4])
      if i < 0
        dbg.str(string("booting failed: "))
        dbg.dec(i)
        if i== -10
          dbg.str(string(13,"(no boot file)"))
        if i== -13
          dbg.str(string(13,"(timeout SD access)"))
      else
        dbg.str(string("found at sector: "))
        dbg.dec(i)
        dbg.str(string(" in ms:"))
        dbg.dec((cnt-tm)/(clkfreq/1000))
        dbg.tx(13)
        byte[$707F] := 0   'show first 127 chars
        dbg.str($7000)
      repeat

dat
            org
    entry
    ' set up
            mov blocksh,#0
            or outa,clkmask
            mov dira,outmask        'pins
            neg phsb,#1
            mov ctr2,onek           '1000 x High for init
    oneloop
            call #sendiohi
            djnz ctr2,#oneloop
            mov starttime,cnt
             mov ctr2,#9           'try a few times
    reslp   mov cmdo,#0
            mov cmdp,#0
            call #cmd
             cmp accb,#1  wz
      if_z   jmp #tsthc
             djnz ctr2,#reslp
    tsthc    mov cmdo,#8           'test if SD2
             mov cmdp,#$1AA
             call #cmd
             cmp accb,#1  wz
      if_nz  jmp #resok            '< no
             mov ctr,#32
             call #sendiocnt       'read volt

inilp    mov cmdo,#55
             mov cmdp,#0
             call #cmd
             mov cmdo,#41
             mov cmdp,bit30
             call #cmd
             cmp accb,#0  wz
       if_nz jmp #inilp
             mov cmdo,#58         'test if SDHC
             mov cmdp,#0
             call #cmd
             mov ctr,#32
             call #sendiocnt
             or outa,csmask
             test accb,bit30  wz
       if_z  mov blocksh,#9      
             jmp #begin
    resok   or outa,csmask
            call #sendiohi
    initloop
            mov cmdo,#55
            call #cmd
            mov cmdo,#41
            call #cmd
            cmp accb,#1 wz
       if_z jmp #initloop
            mov blocksh,#9         '0=SDHC 9=SD

' search signature and startsector in sector 0
    begin   mov  blocknr,#0
            mov  bufad,hubbuf
            call #rblock           'read sector 0
            mov  bufad,hubbuf
            add  bufad,#400
            rdlong accb,bufad      'boot signature at 400 ?
            cmp  accb,signatur0  wz
      if_nz jmp  #search           'no signature: search sector
            add  bufad,#4
            rdlong blocknr,bufad   'read boot startsector at 404

' search sector with boot file signature
    search  mov  bufad,hubbuf
            call #rblock
            rdlong accb,hubbuf
            cmp  accb,signaturFile  wz
      if_z  jmp  #found      
            add  blocknr,#1
            cmp  blocknr,lastblock wc
      if_b  jmp  #search
            neg  accb,#10          'not found error: -10
    fback   sub  hubbuf,#4
            wrlong accb,hubbuf
    halt    jmp  #halt

found   mov  lastblock,#3      'load boot code (only 3 sectors here)
    :load   call #rblock  
            djnz lastblock,#:load
            mov  accb,blocknr
            jmp  #fback             'okay

rblock
            mov  ctr2,sectorsz     'read block
            mov starttime,cnt
            mov cmdo,#17
            mov  cmdp,blocknr
            call #cmd
            call #readresp
    rbyte
            mov  accb,#8
            andn outa,clkmask
            or   outa,clkmask
            test domask,ina  wc
            addx acca,acca
            djnz accb,#rbyte+1
            wrbyte acca,bufad
            add  bufad,#1
            djnz ctr2,#rbyte        
            call #sendiohi
            call #sendiohi
            or outa,csmask
    rblock_ret  ret

sendio
            rol phsb,#24            'SPI routines
    sendiohi
            mov ctr,#8
    sendiocnt
            mov accb,#0
    bit     andn outa,clkmask
            rol phsb,#1  wc
            muxc outa,dimask
            or  outa,clkmask
            test domask,ina wc
            addx accb,accb        
            djnz ctr,#bit
    sendio_ret
    sendiohi_ret
    sendiocnt_ret
            ret
    checktime
            mov duration,cnt
            sub duration,starttime
            cmp duration,clockfreq wc
    checktime_ret
      if_c  ret
            neg accb,#13          'timeout error: -13
            jmp #fback
    cmd
             cmp cmdo,#41  wz
      if_z   or outa,csmask
             nop
            andn outa,csmask
            neg phsb,#1
            call #sendiohi
            mov phsb,cmdo
            add phsb,#$40
            call #sendio
            mov phsb,cmdp
            shl phsb,blocksh
            call #sendiohi
            call #sendiohi
            call #sendiohi
            call #sendiohi
            cmp cmdo,#8  wz
      if_z  mov phsb,#$87
      if_nz mov phsb,#$95
            call #sendio
            cmp cmdo,#12 wz
      if_z  neg phsb,#1
      if_z  call #sendiohi
    readresp
            neg phsb,#1
            call #sendiohi
            call #checktime
            cmp accb,#$ff wz
       if_z jmp #readresp 
    cmd_ret
    readresp_ret
            ret

clockfreq  long 80_000_000
    onek       long 1000
    sectorsz   long 512
    bit30      long 1<<30

domask     long 1<<do
    csmask     long 1<<cs
    clkmask    long 1<<clk
    dimask     long 1<<di
    outmask    long 1<<clk | 1<<di | 1<<cs

lastblock  long 19000
    signatur0    byte "BOOT"
    signaturFile byte "P2BO"
    hubbuf     long $7000

acca    res 1
    accb    res 1
    cmdo    res 1
    cmdp    res 1
    ctr     res 1
    ctr2    res 1
    starttime res 1
    duration res 1

bufad    res 1
    blocknr  res 1
    blocksh  res 1

Andy

Edit: removed the copyright. The code is based on the FSRW driver from rokicki and lonesock, but havy modified and portet to PASM by me.
    edited 2012-08-18 08:51
    A separate partition wouldn't leave you tied to FAT.

The obvious response is: Why is so many people wanting to use SD cards? Ease of transporting data I would have thought. A common easy to use filesystem would seem to be expected.
    edited 2012-08-18 09:14
    Hi.

Yes
    Andy's BOOT system are most flexible --- As it can BOOT from any position on SD.

Both with FAT and without it
    Else as Chip said --- Reuse space from END of BOOT sector to first sector that is used by Partition !!

Looks really good!
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2012-08-18 09:26
    Yes, I was saying TWO partitions. One for the Prop boot image. Personally, I don't like the hacks in ROM. They are great, don't get me wrong. I think they would work too. It's not that.

It's all about using the device properly and doing so in a standards based way. If we don't have filesystem support, the right answer is a partition. That is why they exist. Doing it in the *right* way, standard in other words, is part of a pro-quality device, IMHO. Supporting filesystem hacks is different from supporting a partition too. Once again, great hacks, I'm not using that in a negative way here. Just would prefer standards compliant operation, that's all. I'll not say any more about it, other than I really don't care whether or not it boots SD at all. The other storage solution can very easily support an SD card, much like we do now on P1, and it could do so with a far more robust process, and can be updated / changed easily too.
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2012-08-18 10:43
    Kye wrote: »
    Older SD cards and MMC cards are full of a bunch of problems...

Exactly!!! That is precisely why I think it is utter folly to say that P2 SD bootloader code must support every Tom, Dick, and Harry SD card in the world or else it shouldn't be done at all. What???

Of course I'm not suggesting leaving users in the dark, either. Just tell them "The P2 bootloader supports XYZ cards." No apology needed.

(The exact nature of XYZ remains to be determined. Maybe it's SDHC.)
    edited 2012-08-18 10:59
    User Name wrote: »
    That is precisely why I think it is utter folly to say that P2 SD bootloader code must support every Tom, Dick, and Harry SD card in the world or else it shouldn't be done at all. What???

Kye does have a bit of point:

- If the ROM was written a few years back we may not have support for SDHC. There would be a lot of frustrated people having to use non-HC's for booting but after that can use anything.

- Now, with SDXC just coming onto the market, how long before SDHC becomes expensive and old school?
    edited 2012-08-18 11:08
    potatohead wrote: »
    It's all about using the device properly and doing so in a standards based way. If we don't have filesystem support, the right answer is a partition.

All three options are valid. Separate partition needs the image copied to it, reserved space similar but just the loader, contiguous file for loader requires a tool to ensure it stays contiguous when modified. They all need to update the first block with the pointer. Under these conditions the methods comply.

BTW, the pointer is, in effect, the bootblock.
    edited 2012-08-18 11:12
    Hi evanh.

Why You need it to have possibility to modify..
    As I know none of systems can that without reformatting

All three options are valid. Separate partition needs the image copied to it, reserved space similar but just the loader, contiguous file for loader requires a tool to ensure it stays contiguous when modified. They all need to update the first block with the pointer. Under these conditions the methods comply.

BTW, the pointer is, in effect, the bootblock.
    edited 2012-08-18 11:23
    Reformatting just for a 10kB file seems a bit crappy. This is the Prop. We'll be fiddling heaps. Lots of fixes.
  • rod1963rod1963 Posts: 752
    edited 2012-08-18 12:08
    Why don't you just have the P-II use the P-I boot up system. It's dirt simple and easy to modify. Ideally the P-II should had flash like every other micro out there but it doesn't so you'll always need external memory.

Booting from SD's make sense when you have something like the Raspberry not a micro-controller.
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2012-08-18 12:19
    Now, with SDXC just coming onto the market, how long before SDHC becomes expensive and old school?

I don't think SDXC will ever be as small or as cheap as SDHC.
    edited 2012-08-18 12:19
    Just been trying to work out how modern Linuxes get booted ... not that easy to identify, most documentation, particularly webpages like Wikipedia, just talks about the general process as a concept and completely miss the technical detail of how the main loader is loaded itself.

Finally found it on page 41 of the Grub2 manual under the heading of "GRUB image files". The critical file being diskboot.img. It's a single 512 byte block and contains a list of block numbers and counts for loading the rest of the loader images that contain the filesystem driver for the root partition and basic console/shell that then loads Linux itself.

So, Linux needs a tool to build booting just like everyone else using the PC, but it's done away with needing contiguous files or any reserved space.

EDIT: I should clarify by saying that that's just the norm for your average BIOS based PC. It's certainly not the only way Grub can operate, hence the vagueness of the general documentation.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2012-08-18 13:08
    Reformatting just for a 10kB file seems a bit crappy. This is the Prop. We'll be fiddling heaps. Lots of fixes.
    In that case you can program a second-stage loader that looks in the FAT filesystem for the real file to load. Then you only have to do that once per SD card and you can rewrite the program loaded by the second-stage loader as many times as you want without reformatting.
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,252
    edited 2012-08-18 13:32
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Andy: I missed your previous code because I downloaded your file and looked at that. Then realised that the posted code was not included in the zip file - perhaps you may like to add it in.

Can we first get a consensus of what the MBR shall be modified to???
    1. Offset for parameter(s)? I have chosen $180. Andy has chosen 400decimal. My preference is a hex value. I am also happy with $100 which also seems to be fine. Thoughts???
    2. The identifier? I agree that 1 long is probably sufficient. So let us on what that long shall be??? Any suggestions??? "P2x"+$0 (i.e. a string?) or a hex value???
    3. The pointer? a long to the first boot code sector??? Do we require a second sector pointer or just use the first +1. From what I understand has been said, the Flash uses 1024 bytes initially, so we should conform to this.
    4. If we add Andy's search if this fails, what should the search string/long/whatever be???

If we can at least agree with this then we can interchange each others code to test without having to re-write the MBR each time.

How many block numbers are you planning on storing? If you are loading a 126KB image, potentially you could have 252 blocks.
    I am not that familiar with clusters, but if you address clusters instead of blocks, and the clusters are only 4k, it could take 32 of them, and we cannot assume that they are one right after the other.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-08-18 13:46
    I like the idea of using a special partition that's a contiguous region on the SD card. As far as other operating systems are concerned, this partition is an area that's normally not to be touched, yet a utility can be written, like a special version of fdisk, that can create, delete, modify, update this partition and its contents. Such a utility can be done for any of the standard operating systems (Linux, Windows, and the MacOS). For that matter, a utility can be written for the Prop-1 to do this, then later modified for use with the Prop-2.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2012-08-18 13:53

If the boot file(s) are of a defined size, do you need to reformat every time ?
    Or can one not rely on an overwrite doing exactly that ? - Not even as part of the Prop Tools flow ?
    edited 2012-08-18 13:54
    hinv wrote: »
    How many block numbers are you planning on storing?

The exact number is speculation and, for the moment, isn't important. The general idea is to enforce contiguous blocks with a tool though. And given it's minimal nature will not be modified very often.
    edited 2012-08-18 13:56
    jmg wrote: »
    If the boot file(s) are of a defined size, do you need to reformat every time ?
    Or can one not rely on an overwrite doing exactly that ? - Not even as part of the Prop Tools flow ?

It can be written anywhere in the partition as long as it's contiguous. The pointer in block 0 gets updated accordingly each time.

So, no, reformatting wouldn't do anything useful.

EDIT: Marking this file as SYSTEM and READONLY would be a good idea. Gives a good hint not to touch it with general file handling.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2012-08-18 14:00
    Mike Green wrote: »
    I like the idea of using a special partition that's a contiguous region on the SD card. As far as other operating systems are concerned, this partition is an area that's normally not to be touched, yet a utility can be written, like a special version of fdisk, that can create, delete, modify, update this partition and its contents. Such a utility can be done for any of the standard operating systems (Linux, Windows, and the MacOS). For that matter, a utility can be written for the Prop-1 to do this, then later modified for use with the Prop-2.

This sounds ok, as anyone doing Boot changes, will have a full set of tools on their PC.

Could those tools can also VERIFY the Boot-rom pathway, the Prop would use ?

Boot content will be relatively stable, and more casual users can still just copy their code files, and a partition somewhat protects against clobbering.

If such tools can be batch/command operated, then someone in the field can create a NEW boot SD without being an expert.