Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS Datalogger (Using Google Earth) - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

GPS Datalogger (Using Google Earth)

Comments

• bridger deschampsbridger deschamps Posts: 17
    edited 2012-08-16 16:23
    ok, now are you saying that this will not work with the gps board I have? thanks bridger
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-08-17 00:54
    ok, now are you saying that this will not work with the gps board I have? thanks bridger

No, the distinction is that the original code had settings that are incompatible with newer GPS modules. It sounds like you got it working using the suggestion I posted above. If it works, then you don't need to worry. Mr. Savage is just saying that he wants to make future versions of the code more adaptable.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2012-08-17 10:04
    I apologize, I should have been more clear. The BS2 cannot decode an entire NMEA string as one string exceeds the memory of the BS2. The Parallax GPS Module #28146 had a smart mode for microcontrollers such as the BS2 in which the specific data could be requested from the GPS. The code for this project requests the Latitude, Longitude and Altitude individually. The Parallax GPS Module #28506 that you're referring to seems to have a Smart Mode as well, however since I have never worked with this module I had not tested it to see if it was compatible with the same commands and responses that the #28146 Module used. It is entirely possible that we (Parallax) did make them compatible, however since I don't have one to test on my bench my best advice would be to try it and if it doesn't work I will look further into it.

I was already working on a future project using the Propeller in which the code uses the RAW data and an SD Card, but have not yet gotten to it.
    edited 2012-08-17 20:21
    SRLM wrote: »
    @ bridger

Did you try changing the baud to 9600? It looks like the VPN module's smart mode is at 9600, not 4800 like the code has it.

What is the RAW pin connected to?
    I apologize, I should have been more clear. The BS2 cannot decode an entire NMEA string as one string exceeds the memory of the BS2. The Parallax GPS Module #28146 had a smart mode for microcontrollers such as the BS2 in which the specific data could be requested from the GPS. The code for this project requests the Latitude, Longitude and Altitude individually. The Parallax GPS Module #28506 that you're referring to seems to have a Smart Mode as well, however since I have never worked with this module I had not tested it to see if it was compatible with the same commands and responses that the #28146 Module used. It is entirely possible that we (Parallax) did make them compatible, however since I don't have one to test on my bench my best advice would be to try it and if it doesn't work I will look further into it.

I was already working on a future project using the Propeller in which the code uses the RAW data and an SD Card, but have not yet gotten to it.

ok well I changed the baud rate to 84 and it work for 2 or 4 minutes then the program just halts. plus it is putting me in the middle of the sea with 15 different lines with one many starting point, but not many ending point. thanks Bridger
    edited 2012-08-20 13:48
    Okay, I just looked at the documentation for the GPS Module you're using and the code I wrote for the datalogger and two seem to be compatible. It stands to reason the new module was meant to be a direct replacement.. So I guess the question is, where is the failure? When you use the GPS Module by itself with it's demo code, does it continue to function normally past the time you're experiencing failures? If so, can you confirm whether your failures are hardware or software related? It would help to be able to pinpoint if it is something specific such as the Datalogger hanging up. To find this out you could comment out the sections of code dealing with the datalogger and see if it continues to work past your typical failure time.
    edited 2012-08-22 21:51
    It works fine with the gps code it will continue to run as long as you want it to. I am confused on how I test if the data logger is hanging up. In the end I do believe it is software related. thanks Bridger
    edited 2012-08-23 10:11
    I have seen situaions where file system errors on the USB drive cause the datalogger to hang while writing to it. Sometimes it helps to break things down to simplest terms while debugging. For example, if you've tested the GPS by itself and it seems to work, the test the Datalogger by itself using its example code. If you have a problem there then you know that component is the problematic one.
    edited 2012-08-23 16:13
    it is not hanging up when I test the data logger with the example code, but hear is the Google earth code i tropically get.

log.txt
  • DetroitPistonDetroitPiston Posts: 30
    edited 2012-08-29 11:46
    Hi Chris,
    I couldn't load your LOGDATA.KML into Google Earth?

When double click the LOGDATA.KML file not Google Earth Window pop-up then nothing thing show up!?

I do not know how to attached the image into the FORUM

Please HELP

Thanks
    edited 2012-08-29 14:41
    I haven't installed Google Earth since I did that project. I wonder if something changed since then to make my file incompatible? If so that would explain the project not working.
    edited 2012-08-29 15:02
    My KML files is in a ZIP located here: http://www.savagecircuits.com/gpsdatalogger
    edited 2012-08-29 22:27
    My KML files is in a ZIP located here: http://www.savagecircuits.com/gpsdatalogger
    I believe it has changed cause it did the same thing that mine did and that is make a whole lot of lines across the globe.
    edited 2012-08-30 08:27
    Hi Chris,

Quote: "I haven't installed Google Earth since I did that project. I wonder if something changed since then to make my file incompatible?"

I do not understand, why you post this NOT WORKING project in the first place?

I do not know how do you have a screenshot from Google Earth to plot of your drive around the Parallax Inc.?

Since your LOGDATA.KML file from this (thread) Forum and your KML saved in Zip file was located here http://www.Savagecircuits.com/gpsdatalogger NO WORKING at all?

Would you please help me out?

I ordered all the parts for this project, and now you said the project not working, because you haven't installed Google Earth? It sound like......!!!!!

Thanks
    edited 2012-08-30 09:16
    I think you may have misunderstood what I said. I haven't installed a new version of Google Earth since I completed the project. Everything worked on the version I used that was out when I published the project. It seems clear to me that about a year or two (or later) after I published the project, Google updated the KML specification and made changes that I could not forsee. It would be impossible for me to know this would happen. Quite often in the software world programs or specifications are updated rendering previous files obsolete.

I will take a look at the changes this weekend and see if I can update the code to compensate for these changes. However I do want to be clear that I have never released code or project information that was not 100% completely tested and sound. The reason it doesn't work right now is that Google changed their specifications. So bear with me while I look into the changes and make the necessary edits to the program.
    edited 2012-08-30 12:10
    Hi Chris,
    I am so sorry,...my bad.
    I just scan your message (reply) and did not read it throughly......"I wonder if something changed since then to make my file incompatible?"

I am really sorry...!!

Thanks a lot
    edited 2012-08-30 12:52
    It's no problem. And I am certainly more than willing to look into this and update the code as necessary to keep things compatible with the current version of Google Earth. I will update the project page and post back here once I have revised, tested and updated the post.
    edited 2012-09-05 10:30
    Okay, so code updates are underway. I will probably have to wrap them this coming weekend as I also need to build another GPS Datalogger. So project updates should be posted by Monday. I will follow up here to let you know. Thanks for your patience.
    edited 2012-09-06 13:41
    Hi Chris,
    Thank you very much.
    edited 2012-09-10 14:29
    Yep, got the hardware together and verified the issue. Now that I have the hardware working properly we'll be able to find and hopefully corrcet the issue. Then tomorrow I will get the same GPS module you're using and test and update everything with that one as well.
    edited 2012-09-12 15:01
    Okay, the delays were caused by not being able to get a satellite lock in the house, which was expected, but a test program I wrote to take the unit mobile has shown me what the problem is...everything worked before, but suddenly Google Earth has an issue with the space in my files between the first comma in the coordinates and the data. This space is the "sign" bit/placeholder, but apparently for positive numbers a space is a bad thing. So I am adjusting the code now and will post the fixed version momentarily. Sorry for all the confusion on this. I honestly thought they changed the tags or something else. Here's the rig I have been using to test/fix this problem.

http://instagram.com/p/PfVweCELxb/
    edited 2012-09-12 17:37
    Ok, well while I focus on getting this project page revised, I am attaching the updated code so you can try/test it on your end. Let me know if this works for you please.
    edited 2012-09-14 18:33
    Hey thanks for your time. I got it to work with the blue gps board ( vpn1513). Thanks again for fixing the problem.
    thanks bridger
    edited 2012-09-18 05:26
    Hello Chris,
    Thanks....I will give it a try with your updated code. There is no change on Schematic right?
    edited 2012-09-19 12:38
    That is correct, just a minor code change fixed the problem. I will revise the project page as soon as possible and also include the new GPS reference. Please let me know if you have any further issues with the code
    edited 2012-09-23 14:30
    Hi Chris,

We do have a minor issue about the LED status, and would need your help...PLEASE!

After the power was turn on the LED is blinking Green, then
    Blinking Red (fast) after USB Thumb Drive was inserted in to Memorystick Datalogger,
    then blinking Red (slow) - "Waiting for GPS signal to lock in - exactly as you was saying"

then blank/off (NO blinking), nothing

I couldn't not see a solid Green like you said in the "Program Description",
    Also, I have notice that there is no activiity or LED blinking of the GPS.

After go over and recheck all of the wires and all of the connections, we could not find any wrong things with...?
    SO, PLEASE HELP

Thanks
    edited 2012-09-24 06:39
    Hello Chris,

It just a goofy mistake.....all good now...and it work perfectly.

Thank you so much.
  • TMAC1TMAC1 Posts: 24
    edited 2012-09-29 10:27
    would it be possible to use a propeller and MicroSD card instead?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-09-29 13:18
    TMAC1 wrote: »
    would it be possible to use a propeller and MicroSD card instead?

Absolutely! Paul Hubner wrote one a few years ago that I use all the time on a Propeller Proto Board.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?104049-Google-Earth-GPS-SD-Card-Logger-COMPLETE!

• TMAC1TMAC1 Posts: 24
    edited 2012-09-29 16:28
    Okay, thanks!
  • CwebberCwebber Posts: 8
    edited 2013-06-20 15:19
    Sorry to revive this thread almost a year later, but I have a couple of questions. I have all the parts for this project and I'm looking to start soldering to the board and I want to be sure I understand it before I do so. Currently, I'm looking at Figure 2 (the circuit schematic) and Figure 5 and I'm having trouble figuring out the connections. From Figure 2 one of the switches is connected to P12 (along with a 10K resistor), however, it appears as though in Figure 5 this is not the case. It looks like the switch is connected to P11 rather, with the resistor connected to P12. Are there solder connections on the back side of the board that I just can see or am I missing something obvious? Thanks, I'm new to this world so any help would be greatly appreciated.