Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Propeller Platform USB design - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

New Propeller Platform USB design

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2012-05-01 06:32
    David Betz wrote: »
    The reason I suggested adding a 1mb SPI flash chip is so that this new board could run large C programs (Catalina or PropGCC) out of the box without having to add any extra hardware. It wasn't intended to be a general purpose SPI bus which is why I thought sharing pins with the SD card wouldn't be a problem and would allow more pins for other hardware to be connected like the ones listed above. If you just provide a DIP8 footprint the board won't be able to run these larger programs without having that footprint populated. Also, the QuadSPI chips take up even more pins than the single SPI chips. Maybe it would be best to just forget the SPI flash entirely.

By adding a DIP8 as I described, you get both the ability to add some SPI chip only if you want it and without a special shield or the flexibility of adding one of dozens of SPI devices. This should not be difficult.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2012-05-01 06:39
    jazzed wrote: »
    By adding a DIP8 as I described, you get both the ability to add some SPI chip only if you want it and without a special shield or the flexibility of adding one of dozens of SPI devices. This should not be difficult.
    Yes but it defeats the entire purpose of the proposal to add the SPI flash chip. The idea was to make the new PP-USB board capable of running reasonable-sized C programs out of the box. With your solution you still have to add another component and different people may use that socket for different things. It won't be possible to assume that all PP-USB boards are XMM capable.
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2012-05-01 08:15
    There is no room for a DIP-8 footprint. Believe me, I've already tried.

I'm putting the Flash RAM issue to bed, I have enough info to make a decision. Thanks for everyone's input!
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2012-05-01 11:15
    Martin- is there still going to be a RTC as you mentioned early on?
    edited 2012-05-01 11:17
    There is no room for a DIP-8 footprint. Believe me, I've already tried.

I'm putting the Flash RAM issue to bed, I have enough info to make a decision. Thanks for everyone's input!
    We'll all look forward to seeing your revised design! Thanks for considering my suggestions even if you decide to go in a different direction.
    edited 2012-05-01 12:38
    Don, yes. RTC will be available as an option at purchase.

David, your suggestion is greatly appreciated. I'm going to do my best to get at least a footprint on the PCB for a SOIC-8 chip.
    edited 2012-05-03 17:27
    Update:

I said I was not going to be able to get a DIP-8 footprint on the board. And I was right... I was able to get TWO.

ppusb_rtc_rd.pdf

Changes from previous version:
    • Added LC filter to USB 5v line.
    • Board can now be powered from USB (500mA polyfuse protected).
    • Implemented the #RESET driver from the FT232 datasheet. (see next two entries)
    • Confirmed FT232 no longer resets Prop when P30-31 are driven high.
    • Confirmed there is no oscillation when P30 left floating.
    • Added DIP-8 footprint (U9 near SD card slot) for optional SPI Flash. Shares SD data/clock lines.
    • U9 chip select line configurable to P4 or P20.
    • Added DIP-8 footprint (U12 above crystal) for general purpose chip.
    • U12 connections
    1. P27
    2. P25
    3. P23
    4. GND
    5. P22
    6. P24
    7. P26
    8. VCC
    U12 is a bit of a wild card. As Jazzed mentioned you can plug a myriad of chips into this socket. For example, the 8M-Bit QuadSPI flash linked to in Jazzed's post could be plugged into U9 for out-of-the-box, single SPI, GCC/Catalina enhancement. The same chip could be plugged into U12 and, with special drivers, used as QuadSPI. That is the theory anyway.
    edited 2012-05-03 18:05
    Update:

I said I was not going to be able to get a DIP-8 footprint on the board. And I was right... I was able to get TWO.

ppusb_rtc_rd.pdf

Changes from previous version:
    • Added LC filter to USB 5v line.
    • Board can now be powered from USB (500mA polyfuse protected).
    • Implemented the #RESET driver from the FT232 datasheet. (see next two entries)
    • Confirmed FT232 no longer resets Prop when P30-31 are driven high.
    • Confirmed there is no oscillation when P30 left floating.
    • Added DIP-8 footprint (U9 near SD card slot) for optional SPI Flash. Shares SD data/clock lines.
    • U9 chip select line configurable to P4 or P20.
    • Added DIP-8 footprint (U12 above crystal) for general purpose chip.
    • U12 connections
    1. P27
    2. P25
    3. P23
    4. GND
    5. P22
    6. P24
    7. P26
    8. VCC
    U12 is a bit of a wild card. As Jazzed mentioned you can plug a myriad of chips into this socket. For example, the 8M-Bit QuadSPI flash linked to in Jazzed's post could be plugged into U9 for out-of-the-box, single SPI, GCC/Catalina enhancement. The same chip could be plugged into U12 and, with special drivers, used as QuadSPI. That is the theory anyway.
    Sounds great! When can I buy one? :-)
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,620
    edited 2012-05-03 18:05
    This just keeps getting better. Well done, Martin.
    edited 2012-05-03 19:09
    Martin- Great job! I'm ready to order :) Let me know when you'll have them available.

Thanks again!

Don
    edited 2012-06-05 08:53
    Sorry again for the delay. I'm going one more round of prototype but I think we're getting close. I can now project there will be units ready this summer at a slightly higher price than GG's version. That's as specific as I can get at this time. Posted below is the finalized circuit.

I had to take a huge amount of time to "back annotate" a schematic by hand, refDes by refDes, in Dip Trace. This is one area where Eagle FAR outshines Dip Trace!
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2012-06-05 09:19
    I'll be excited to get one of these. Keep plugging away Martin!!!
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2012-06-05 11:29
    Sorry again for the delay. I'm going one more round of prototype but I think we're getting close. ...

I like your DIP8 socket! Look forward to getting one of these.
    edited 2012-06-05 12:23
    What are the mounting hole center-to-center dimensions?
    edited 2012-06-24 12:56
    @Martin- Can we get a status update? I'm ready to order... :)

Don
    edited 2012-06-24 15:36
    @donM The design is locked down. Mindrobots has generously given a lot of his time to help beta test a prototype, Thanks man. Parts and PCB will be ordered tomorrow (6/25/12). It should be about two weeks until units are ready to ship.

@photomankc The mounting holes are exactly the same as the original PP design. (2500 x 2200 mil o/c)

A basic unit with no RTC parts will be $59.99. With RTC, $74.99. The Winbond 8-Mbit DIP8 flash will be sold separately.

All through-hole parts will be included, but not soldered.

I'm calling this board "Propeller DNA" (free board to the first person who can guess what "DNA" stands for!)
  • cavelambcavelamb Posts: 720
    edited 2012-06-24 15:43
    @donM The design is locked down. Mindrobots has generously given a lot of his time to help beta test a prototype, Thanks man. Parts and PCB will be ordered tomorrow (6/25/12). It should be about two weeks until units are ready to ship.

@photomankc The mounting holes are exactly the same as the original PP design. (2500 x 2200 mil o/c)

A basic unit with no RTC parts will be $59.99. With RTC, $74.99. The Winbond 8-Mbit DIP8 flash will be sold separately.

I'm calling this board "Propeller DNA" (free board to the first person who can guess what "DNA" stands for!)

DNA = Do Not Alter
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-06-24 15:47
    Who, me? Not that I can confirm or deny this but if I were to comment........"SWEET!"

DNA? Hadn't heard that yet......

"Don't Need Arduino"
  • varnonvarnon Posts: 184
    edited 2012-06-24 16:11
    I'm missing the gadget gangster USB platform more and more. I only have 1, and 2 more that potentially will work once some parts are replaced.
    Are you intending to only develop these by request, or are you planning to keep some in stock?
    The version without the RTC is definitely cheap enough to get a few for my lab, instead of moving the existing propeller platforms we have back and forth between projects.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805
    edited 2012-06-24 18:32
    Glad to hear this is still on track. Price seems reasonable.
    edited 2012-06-24 19:58

Two please?

Where do we line up?

Order via web site?
    edited 2012-06-26 06:33
    @cavelamb, they will be sold on my website. I give you my personal assurance that you will not be left out!

@varnon, I will have a few in stock, and produce more as necessary.

Okay so the naming contest was a flop. ;) I would have thought the GNU aficionados out there would have gotten it.

"DNA" stands for "DNA's Not Arduino"
    edited 2012-06-26 10:52
    It's like waiting for Christmas morning, Martin!
  • Toby SeckshundToby Seckshund Posts: 2,027
    edited 2012-06-26 13:51
    "All through-hole parts will be included, but not soldered."

DNA= did not assemble ?
    edited 2012-06-26 23:21
    The through hole parts consist of sockets, headers, and plugs. Everything else is SMT and assembled. I had several requests to do it this way.
    edited 2012-07-12 12:02
    Units are being built and will go on sale in my store any day now!

Slight change on the $74.99 model; The Winbond 8-Mbit DIP8 flash will be included and all parts will be pre-soldered except for the main headers.
    edited 2012-07-12 12:06
    Woot! I need a flash enabled board for my soon-to be ported to C++ robot. 1MB for code from flash would be just the ticket!
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2012-07-12 12:19
    Units are being built and will go on sale in my store any day now!

Slight change on the $74.99 model; The Winbond 8-Mbit DIP8 flash will be included and all parts will be pre-soldered except for the main headers.

Be sure to let us know when we can start to order!! I've got my CC in hand and ready to go!
    edited 2012-07-12 13:17
    4x5n wrote: »
    Be sure to let us know when we can start to order!! I've got my CC in hand and ready to go!

Ditto!!!
    edited 2012-07-16 13:27
    Sorry again for the delay. I'm going one more round of prototype but I think we're getting close. I can now project there will be units ready this summer at a slightly higher price than GG's version. That's as specific as I can get at this time. Posted below is the finalized circuit.

I had to take a huge amount of time to "back annotate" a schematic by hand, refDes by refDes, in Dip Trace. This is one area where Eagle FAR outshines Dip Trace!

Little bump to put the schematic up where it can be found.

Beautiful work, Martin!
    Thank you so much.

Richard

(edit -add link)
    The Winbond serial flash memory data sheet...
    http://www.winbond.com/NR/rdonlyres/4D2BF674-7427-4FC8-AEF0-1A534DF74F16/0/W25Q80BV.pdf

Seiko RTC data sheet
    http://datasheet.sii-ic.com/en/real_time_clock/S35390A_E.pdf