Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Android android - Linking a mobile phone and Propeller. - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

Android android - Linking a mobile phone and Propeller.

1235»

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2011-09-09 20:30
    What?!! Apad/pandapad don't have an ADB port?
    If that is true it is a real bomb shell. I just assummed that all Android devices supported ADB over USB. If there are devices out there that do not support ADB I really don't want to buy them. But how to know if this is an issue prior to purchase? normally there is no mention of ADB in the brief specs of these things.
    Could be a disaster.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2011-09-09 21:41
    I just got my Android phone recently; I love it.

I got an unlocked HTC Dream G1 because of its affordability and slide out keyboard. It came rooted and upgraded to Android 2.2... works like a charm.
    Heater. wrote: »
    What?!! Apad/pandapad don't have an ADB port?
    If that is true it is a real bomb shell. I just assummed that all Android devices supported ADB over USB. If there are devices out there that do not support ADB I really don't want to buy them. But how to know if this is an issue prior to purchase? normally there is no mention of ADB in the brief specs of these things.
    Could be a disaster.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2011-09-10 07:04
    I got an Archos 28. It was only about $80. I use it to learn Android programming. It DOES support ADB over USB.

They have them at k-mart if you want to purchase locally.

Bean
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2011-09-10 18:30
    I've not had any luck with debug mode via USB. It works fine with wifi but that isn't much help talking to a prop. I found a website that showed how you can open up the case and wire up the Tx and Rx lines to one of the chips inside.

Great to hear Bean has one that does work. So to move this project forward I guess it would be important to get the correct tablet.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2011-09-12 15:34
    A guy at yesterday's Chibots meeting showed his sub-$50 Ebay HTC android phone running an optical recognition app. One centers on an object, and the app identifies if the object has moved to the left or right of the subsequent images.
    Anybody else try this?
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2011-09-12 18:50
    Dr_Acula, I wasn't aware you could do ADB over Wifi ???
    How is that enabled.

Bean
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2011-09-12 19:54
    Hi Bean,

I followed the instructions here http://www.basic4ppc.com/forum/basic4android-getting-started-tutorials/6484-connecting-your-device-ide.html

On the android side, go through the menus and make sure wifi is enabled, and find the device IP address.

On the PC side, adb connect 192.168.0.10

replacing the IP address with the correct one for the device.

The system tends to forget this eg if one or both devices are turned off, (which on my network may change the IP address anyway if another computer takes that IP address) so I ended up putting this command in a batch file.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,160
    edited 2011-09-26 18:35
    Dr_Acula wrote: »
    I've not had any luck with debug mode via USB. It works fine with wifi but that isn't much help talking to a prop. I found a website that showed how you can open up the case and wire up the Tx and Rx lines to one of the chips inside.

Great to hear Bean has one that does work. So to move this project forward I guess it would be important to get the correct tablet.

Hello!
    Indeed it is. I've been admiring the streaks that are currently roosting at Staples. (Stores in Queens and Manhattan.)

I believe the streaks will do that, but I've not asked the gang at the stores. (Currently the money to buy one is, ah, on order.)

It also turns out that the one that's latched onto you Bean is available locally to me. (One store listed online was one I am familiar with physically.) And strangely enough I'm not sure of the surviving K-Mart in all of NYC (Manhattan by Astor Place) does know of them.

RS does sell them but currently only online, and I don't trust the stores where I buy most of my components to know how to order one from their own crappy website for delivery to the store for pickup there.

That being stated I'm in as soon as I sort out how to make my prop board do the things I've got in mind.
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,751
    edited 2011-09-27 06:29
    Buck,
    You can always go to radioshack.com and do the order yourself. You are still offered the ship to store option and you can then ship it to the least objectionable store.
    Jim
  • MicksterMickster Posts: 2,588
    edited 2012-01-16 03:09
    Dr_Acula wrote: »

Program the Android using Basic here http://www.basic4ppc.com/forum/

Now this is very slick....Thank you for that discovery Dr_Acula!

We have been building PC-Based controllers since the mid-eighties and have recently put the real-time stuff back on to micro-controllers. Therefore all we need is a HMI and this thread inspired me to experiment with an Android tablet.

Using B4A, we were up and communicating with our micro-controller in no time at all using their Serial/Bluetooth routines. All we did was stick a BT-RS232 adapter on the serial port of the micro-controller http://www.uconnect.com.tw/

H
    mmm all kinds of possibilities, here.

Mickster