Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Recent direction of the Propeller forums — Parallax Forums

Recent direction of the Propeller forums

Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
edited 2008-02-23 10:47 in Propeller 1
Over the last few months I have noticed a disturbing trend in the Propeller forums. That is that some relations between active members of the Propeller forum becoming adversarial in nature. Usually these arguments remain a debate of various ways of dealing with an issue, but lately some of these debates have taken·more of a personal·nature.·This type of behaviour is discouraging and is poisionous to the type of environment we are trying to foster on the forums, especially in this forum with a chip novel enough to make nearly anyone have at least a few questions when first exposed to it. We want to encourage people to ask thier questions without fear of retribution or critisism, but when someone first comes to this forums and sees arguments raging (whether personal or not), they think twice before posting thier questions. I know this is happening because I have personally received direct email questions where they have stated they are afraid to ask the forums because of their perceived likelyhood of being attacked or starting a debate.

Debates·in general are OK, because frequently there is more than one way to solve a problem. But before you click submit on a post where you are debating a subject, walk away from your computer for a minute or two and when you return, reread the post, but put yourself in the place of the person you are addressing and ask yourself "If I was the other person, how would I interpret this message." Remember many types of conversation which are perfectly acceptable in real life are not online. For example, sarcasm does not translate well into the written word so therefore should never be used in the forum. If there are two different ways of interpreting your message, assume the other party will see it in the worst possible light, and change your post so there is only one way to interpret it.

Monitoring the forum is only a small portion of my responsibilies at Parallax, and as such I do not have time to read every post to check if it follows forum guidelines. If I have to start devoting more time to monitoring the forum to make sure people are behaving thierselves, you will have one very unhappy Moderator on your hands, and neither of us want that. Repeated violation of forum rules will lead to banning accounts and IP addresses, but this is a draconian measure I want to avoid at all costs.

My best advice is to check your ego at the door, if you feel like you or someone else has been attacked, do not respond. Instead send me a personal message, and I will take care of the situation and your identity will remain anonymous.

Thank you,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Paul Baker
Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 12/28/2007 8:33:33 PM GMT

Comments

• mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2007-12-28 20:35
    Thank you, it's about time someone said something. I am a total newbie to the controller and this is my only source of info. I have been shopping around for another forum in hopes of avoiding the "Can't you see", "You shold have known" and the I can't believe you didn't know" comments.
    I try to use the search but I have alot of trouble finding relevent info. It either comes up with 0 results or 5,000. The next step would be to post a message. While it might take 5 minutes for someone to answer me, "Thanx to all who have in a polite manner", I find myself going in circles to avoid posting msg's to the forum. Maybe this will be a wakeup call to the certain people who insist on commenting on every post and usually in a negative manner.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

·A good engineer borrows from others, a great engineer steals everything outright!!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-12-28 20:44
    mosquito56,
    I'm not sure whether you're referring to the search menu item at the top of the forum page or the separate search engine. The forum search function is known to be fairly limited in its usefulness. Much better is to use search.parallax.com which is a Google engine based at Parallax.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-12-28 20:48
    Mosquito, you are correct, it's just those types of comments which kick off arguments. People need to understand that Propellerheads cover the entire spectrum of experience, and just because something is obvious to someone of your skill and experience, does not mean it is obvious to everyone. Be kind and patient to those who have less experience than you, remembering that you once were at thier skill level.

Use http://search.parallax.com for your searching needs, it is a dedicated server we have that runs the Google search algorithm on our website. The "search" button on the forums should be avoided.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • OakGraphicsOakGraphics Posts: 202
    edited 2007-12-28 21:01
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...

Use http://search.parallax.com for your searching needs, it is a dedicated server we have that runs the Google search algorithm on our website. The "search" button on the forums should be avoided.
    Hey - that's·cool.· I have never seen that before, and it would have been useful in the past.· You think we can get the 'search' button in the forums template to just point to search.parallax.com? :-)· that might solve the search dilema. tongue.gif
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-12-28 21:05
    Paul, maybe it was suggested but ... it is not possible to make the search button on top of the forums to use the search.parallax.com ? that would help a lot. I like to use the search before asking and I'm a bit of new to the propeller besides I am neither new to electronics nor to uP sometimes finding something is a bit frustrating. Other newer users may find that a bit discouraging leading to asking many times over. That could help.

The propeller wiki at http://propeller.wikispaces.com is a great source of information if we fill it with it, But the forums give another dimension so gratifying many times. I hope it is not ruined (me included).
    edited 2007-12-28 21:19
    sorry, paul, I didn't mean to hijack you post. I only wanted to point out that I don't post msgs for everything I have trouble with but was having trouble with the search. Found the new method, thanx all

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

·A good engineer borrows from others, a great engineer steals everything outright!!
    edited 2007-12-28 21:21
    Yeah I realized a while ago that alot of issues would be resolved if we redirected where the search button on the forums takes you. I asked IT about this possibility, but it isn't as easy at it seems. To do this would require a recompilation of the forum software (the link is hardcoded), which in turn requires extensive testing on a virtual server to make sure nothing else has been affected. All of this takes resources, and we are presently only doing maintenance to keep the forums running as-is. In the next year we will start looking into other forum software to see if there are any which will better suit our needs (this isn't an invitation for people tell us what thier personal favorite forum software is, a leading criteria is how difficult will it be to migrate the existing database into the new software's database and this can only be evaluated by someone with extensive knowledge of the existing database).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-12-28 21:34
    I think a sticky might be the answer. I always to there to start researching anything. If a note were added to one of the stickies about this, other newbies like me wouldn't be wasting your time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2007-12-28 21:43
    You mean like the top sticky here: http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=13·smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-12-28 21:52
    I never get that high. I am having enough trouble absorbing what's on the prop forum without searching other areas.
    That stick in the prop forum would have been nice. Just my pennies worth.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-12-29 04:42
    Paul,

There may be a backdoor approach that doesn't require a recompile. Rather than changing the link itself, would it be possible to attach a prefilter (i.e. before the aspx software sees it) to the forum website that redirected GETs from forums.parallax.com/forums/search.aspx?... to search.parallax.com? (I realize the two sites are hosted by different services, but that shouldn't matter.) The effort required to install such a filter should be more than outweighed by the tech support hours it saves.

-Phil
  • Alex MackinnonAlex Mackinnon Posts: 25
    edited 2007-12-29 11:19
    Any chance you could also help these abused newbies by updating the documentation to include some of the more useful and standard information such as a T-state diagram?·devil.gif

Also I, for instance, did not realise that the references to PWM in each cog were referring to the fact you could implement a software PWM - not a problem because I had something cyclic in one of the cogs so it was easy enough to add a software PWM - but it would have been nice to see it in the main documentation rather than having to stumble across it in the 'timers' application note. I think the specifics of the special registers should be in the main documentation not in an application note.

Now, if any of that sounded horrid - I'm sorry lol.gif

Alex.
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2007-12-29 12:17
    As I am the trigger of Paul's OP, I'd like to make some comments.

I is right that I have called someone names. If you look at the thread, you'll see how things escalated. I warned the one that he's getting personal but he ignored it. I'm not the person who quietly accepts it when I'm called names. I never did that and never will do so. Those who know me personally (no one here) know, that I'm quite a patient person, but also do know that I don't accept unjustified attacks.

More specific:
    It's OK if someone doesn't understand the rational behind someone else's question. But then he can ask and I'll try to explain it in a different way. Sometimes I fail in that. I know that my answers are sometimes cryptic or hard to understand.
    It's also OK if someone thinks that a feature isn't required because he never needed it. But then .. so what? I do have a background of 25 years of software-development (earned me my living) and I think I know what works and what helps.
    The argument that a feature request for Spin is not OK, because that feature resembles a different language's construct isn't very logical to me. At a higher level, any change could find a similarity in some other programming language and be the reason not to do it. Trying to suppress suggestions this way and argueing that I'm not flexible enough is opinnion-terror in my eyes. Ignoring examples I gave that aren't solved by the suggestions given is what it is: Ignoring.
    What I can ask for is, that the one ignores the whole thread. As I do many times, because I simply don't understand what the problem behind the question is. But this can't be the reason to bash the one asking.

Now I'll make me a mug of coffee, switch on the development-computer and continue my work on the brilliant Propeller chip ...

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-12-29 12:25
    mosquito56 said...
    Thank you, it's about time someone said something. I am a total newbie to the controller and this is my only source of info. I have been shopping around for another forum in hopes of avoiding the "Can't you see", "You shold have known" and the I can't believe you didn't know" comments.
    I try to use the search but I have alot of trouble finding relevent info. It either comes up with 0 results or 5,000. The next step would be to post a message. While it might take 5 minutes for someone to answer me, "Thanx to all who have in a polite manner", I find myself going in circles to avoid posting msg's to the forum. Maybe this will be a wakeup call to the certain people who insist on commenting on every post and usually in a negative manner.

Hi Mosquito,

If there's a problem where newcomers are put of posting on the forums, then I'm glad you are highlighting it. But did you really mean that asking a question on the forum is second on the list of things to do when you hit something you don't know?

I think an awful lot of technical forums can be a bit short with people that don't consult the manual for example. Sometimes with no more than "RTFM". Then there's the stickies at the top of the forum that lead to all sorts of interesting things to consult such as "Tricks and Traps". For those people that have it, Andre's Hydra book. And the Propeller Wiki too.

You know, even the most experienced Prop users hit issues on a regular basis that they don't know the answer to. But they don't ask most of them on the forum. The reason they have got that level of knowledge is that they've taken the time to read the existing resources when there's a problem, or do experiments. They don't ask questions on the forum because it'll only take 5 minutes rather than "going round the houses". They go round the houses first, and only then, if still stuck do they ask the question.

Now I can't recall ever seeing any comments like "Can't you see", "You should have known" and "I can't believe you didn't know", and I've searched for them just now, and there's no results for them. (If I've missed them, please PM me a url.) But there is occasionally an answer that consists solely of a reference to well known source of information, or a code snippet. Which might seem a tad short, but I think is fair enough.

<edit>OK, someone had PMed me an example that I hadn't seen before, so I must now agree that it has happened</edit>

Occasionally there's the person who asks a question, but then won't graciously accept the answers. They argue with the people that answered their question.

Anyway, back to the main issue of a possible reluctance of newcomers to ask questions here. Maybe the answer there is to have a propeller beginner's forum, where chit-chat can happen without any expectation whatsoever of having RTFM. People who perhaps haven't even decided for definite to go for a Prop rather than an ATMEL or whatever might find such a forum useful too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Play Defender - Propeller version of the classic game
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK

Post Edited (CardboardGuru) : 12/29/2007 7:50:03 PM GMT
  • Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
    edited 2007-12-29 12:28
    I don't think Paul was referring to specific technical fixes as much as he was referring to general attitude.

Kindness and patience will be rewarded in kind.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-12-29 15:32
    mosquito56 said...
    I never get that high. I am having enough trouble absorbing what's on the prop forum without searching other areas.
    That stick in the prop forum would have been nice. Just my pennies worth.

add this phrase to the google search function: +"f=25" to limit your search to just the propeller pages. So for instance, PWM +"f=25" will return all the PWM stuff from the prop forum.

Post Edited (Fred Hawkins) : 12/29/2007 3:37:43 PM GMT
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-29 15:51
    @JMH,
    sure, but one and the other go hand in hand.
    I have not the least idea how Mike makes it; I do not have the impression that he just copies and pasts his past answers for newbie's questions and issues.

I have observed 3 "facts" that from time to time make we wonder why I am writing here (The reasons are: I like most people here, I am highly interested in the Propeller, from time to time there is a situation where even I learn something new, and I think - rarely as it may be - I can be terribly useful smile.gif )

But back to the point(s):

(1) Most elementary questions have been asked during the past two years and have been well answered. However there is no good referencing possible, even with your own postings. So you have to rewrite the answer. The good thng is you can better adapt to the specific situation, and can incorporate more "side knowledge" than the last time. However it takes 10 to 20 minutes for good work. You can confirm this by the many remarks as: "Oops, Mike you had been faster." This shows me that in many cases two or even three members WORK for a good reply!

But much of this worl, and double work could be avoided by a better referencing

(2) There is Andr
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2007-12-29 15:57
    I agree w/ Paul !

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Fix it, if it ain't broke·
    D Rat

Dave Ratcliff· N6YEE
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-12-29 17:02
    There are two underlying factors at work here...

First of all, not only does everyone come from different backgrounds and experiences, many of us
    are scattered all over the world. Part of the reason I did the map-yourself experiment a while back
    was to open eyes to this fact. There are cultural differences that come into play when one writes
    in this forum. Even worse, a matter-of-fact statement that was translated into English by someone
    who English is a second language could be taken as sarcasm by someone else. It doesn't make
    either party wrong, but people need to read/reply with an understanding that a message might
    not have come across as intended. This will happen with a global community.

Secondly, there are two classes of people here... The first group are higher level electronics/programmers
    who have solid experience with other micros or other programming languages, for whom the provided
    documentation makes perfect sense because they have a frame of reference to draw on.
    The other group, (myself included) is learning this by the "seat of our pants", finding ourselves easily lost
    in the documentation. I have both the availble books on my desk. They are constantly re-read, and
    as I explore and ask questions, they are starting to make sense. I am working on a true beginners
    text (slowly) and have even set my "Microcomputer" book aside for that project.

When I purchased my first Protoboard, I didn't realize that support was top-notch in the forums.
    I picked up a phone and called Parallax and proceeded to ask a very simple question about the
    power layout of the board. I was told something to the effect that the Propeller was geared more
    toward those who have prior experience with other products, like that of the BASIC stamp.
    (The person I talked to was polite in spite of the newbie question, and answered it.)
    Of course being the bull-headed Dutchman I am, I wasn't about to let that stop me, I had after-all
    had at least a few hours experience with the PICAXE. [noparse]:)[/noparse] (BTW:Nice to see hippy over here)

I believe the Propeller product to be top-notch, and appropriate for all levels of user, but
    we need to be patient with those who come behind us, and realize that not everyone
    sees everything the way we do, perspectives world-wide will differ.
    (You can even diagree with this diatribe if you want.. <smirk> [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

edited 2007-12-29 17:37
    Most of us forget just how new the Propeller is. Parallax does have limited resources and seems to do magical things sometimes with the resources they have, but they don't have the luxury of assembling a technical writing group in advance of the product rollout to create a flurry of technical articles and application notes and even books (if you look at some of the microprocessor manuals). The Propeller manual is pretty good considering how many people were involved. The Hydra manual is also good and covers some additional generally useful things (as opposed to specifically gaming stuff). There will be introductory books on Propeller programming. There will be introductions to assembly language for the Propeller. Think about how long it took the Stamp tutorials to be developed and the PEK tutorials are a good start along that path.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-29 17:43
    Mike Green said...
    ... There will be introductions to assembly language for the Propeller.
    There IS an introduction to assembly language for the Propeller smile.gif
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-12-29 18:18
    I think it will frustrate any "pro" when he feels he has spent more time answering a question than the asker has spent researching it or even working on understanding the answer.

I have found that reasonable questions of even the most basic nature get answered here with no problems how reasonable they are depends generally on the work the questioner has put in.

I also think that those people that find themselves in arguments over and over again might consider the way in which they conduct themselves.

Graham
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-12-29 19:17
    Mike Green said...
    Most of us forget just how new the Propeller is.
    (not for Mike, but a follow-on) A worthwhile enterprise: set forum to 100 threads per page, then start reading the oldest set. The first page or so is early 2006 -- and the threads·were kicking around the then-theoretical prop. After a couple pages, you'll get a feel for the common new questions.

The buzz was then, and still is, very much like the Bay Area in the 1970's when the nature of home computers were being worked out in garages. Don't let some grumpy flame war·take that away.
    edited 2007-12-29 20:13
    Yes it can be extremely frustrating when it appears that somebody just hasn't bothered to find the information, but this can happen for a variety of reasons and theres no way of telling which one it is:
    • They tried to find the information, but used the forum search instead of search.parallax.com
    • They tried to find the information, but being so new didn't know the correct term to search
    • They have the information at hand but lack the background to either realize they have the answer, or understand the answer
    • They are overwhelmed by the amount of information availible and lack the ability to parse it in a way that makes sense for them

Four perfectly acceptable reasons why a newbie asks a question that is frequently asked, and none of them have to do with laziness. You cannot blame somone for not knowing you have a tutorial if it takes a bit of digging to find it. At no point should we tell the person to RTFM or do anything to make them feel inadequate by asking the question. Are you upset that yet another newbie has asked a question·when it was already asked a few times in the last few weeks? Then don't answer the post, chances are you are not the only person with the information, so allow someone else who knows the answer·to reply in a neutral demeanor.

People's opinion of the Propeller is formed in part by thier perceived ability to get help when needed, and if they feel like they will be jumped on by asking simple questions, thier overall opinion of the Propeller declines, and we as a community suffer for this. Before I came to work for Parallax, I was a very active forum member. At the beginning I too sought to answer all questions I was capable of answering. After a while I became frustated answering the same types of questions over and over. What I did was to just move on, skip those questions I found frustrating to answer and because it was one of those questions that got asked and answered·frequently, there was without fail someone else who answered the question. I instead concentrated on those questions which where more difficult to answer, and everyone was happier as a result. So if you feel like bitting the head off an newbie because you feel like they are lazy, just stop and move on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 12/29/2007 8:31:45 PM GMT
    edited 2007-12-29 20:51
    deSilva,
    I did not mean to slight your efforts at teaching Propeller assembly language and creating a helpful tutorial. I was thinking in terms of a conventional book, like some of those currently available for the SX processor both in paper and downloadable form.
  • ToleyToley Posts: 16
    edited 2007-12-29 21:08
    You are absolutely right Paul. I'm new here (and I didn't noticed anyone been disrespectful) but I've been for long time on other forums and observe what Paul is talking about. One of the main problem arise when someone take it too seriously and try to answer all the questions on the forum. This person will soon get frustrated answering always the same questions, and other users hesitate to answer questions cause they know this guy will answer anyway.

The best solution is by far Paul's suggestion to let less experienced users answers simple questions so the can become more self-confident and maybe become expert too.

Also don't forget that not everyone talk english usually (I'm personnally French Canadian). So we not always understand everything at first read.

This forum is great, people are great and the propeller is the greatest ! Every new person that come here deserve our respect cause he has discover that!
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-12-30 00:52
    A good thread... an ounce of prevention is worth a kilogram of cure.

I second Toley's opinion. One great product, One GREAT chip... and one heck of a forum.

I started from absolute zero... less than a year ago and I can now begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel... and most of that light comes from the style and content of the official documentation and the forum. AND that was after lurking about the hobby electronics marts for years and feeling totally left out.

And... I should also like to repeat... I was about a year late ordering Andre's book... Everyone needs to reference his wonderful book as often as possible, it will save everyone a lot of effort.

I love the interactions on the forum. I think we have to be sensitive to newbies but I love to see a good argument (keep it technical please[noparse]:)[/noparse] between the experts.

I can only guess what 2008 will bring.

Thanks to everyone on both sides of the Atlantic.

Happy New Year.

Rich
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2007-12-30 05:25
    I couldn't have said what Paul has expressed any better than what he has already done. As it has·previously been indicated, there are many skill levels within this forum. For those of us that have been around, we need to show our newcomers the same respect that was given to us when we first started out. At any given level we are ALL newcomers - still.

This forum is a tool to express your thoughts and ideas with others, and perhaps learn something along the way.... use the right tool for the right job and respect the thoughts of others.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 12/30/2007 5:38:37 AM GMT
  • Sleazy - GSleazy - G Posts: 79
    edited 2007-12-30 11:42
    I think all you wusses need to fight it out
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2007-12-30 12:44
    I personally think a "Newbie Questions About Parallax Products" forum might be very useful.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick