Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Space Invaders, or maybe GridRunner... — Parallax Forums

Space Invaders, or maybe GridRunner...

BamseBamse Posts: 561
edited 2008-06-27 22:23 in Propeller 1
Anyone done this yet ?

I've playing with my 6502 system for a while but it's time to get back to the Hydra... wink.gif
My first game "Mercury Mission" was pretty much just an exercise to get up and running with Spin.

I want to learn how to write my own driver and renderer for NTSC so this time I guess I have to tackle Assembler... smhair.gif

Guess one good start is the "SimpleNTSC_256x192_256_colors_002.spin", it's pretty basic...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
[noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
[noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
[noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
[noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
[noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse

Post Edited (Bamse) : 1/4/2008 6:47:36 AM GMT

Comments

• BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-12-21 09:11
    Hi Bamse, i did a rubbish version of spacies, while getting started with the prop, so be my guest and do a decent version, as it'll save me a job of re-doing it now I know the processor more [noparse]:)[/noparse]

oh and SimpleNTSC_256x192_256_colors_002.spin is a great starting point, but will remove any option of a PAL version. guess I really must have a look at converting that to PAL some time, when my to-do list is small enough lol.

Baggers.
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2007-12-25 20:26
    Well, Space Invaders is going to be my next project then... wink.gif

The NTSC_256x192.... was a great help for me to understand how to generate a page.
    I still haven't figured out the itty bitty details but I managed to understand the principle...
    The calculation on what to put in the VSCL and Waitvid is still a little bit of a mystery to me...
    Just need to stop playing Frogger and Unterwelt and get back to the code... wink.gif

I do agree that it would probably not be a good starting point since it's NTSC only, but it really helped me getting started...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.

/Bamse
    edited 2008-01-04 06:44
    I might just scrap the Space Invader idea for now...
    Hope I don't disappoint to many people...

Another game just came into my mind, Jeff Minters GridRunner... idea.gif
    This is one of my favorites and I think it would be much more fun for me to remake this game rather than Space Invaders...
    Guess I have to start up the C64 emulator and get some inspiration... smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2008-01-04 10:35
    Nah, I won't be disappointed GridRunner will be a nice replacement [noparse]:)[/noparse] go for it!

Baggers.
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-01-16 23:52
    I wrote a clone of that for the Atari 800 when I was going thru my "TRON" light cycle game programming phase, definitely more to do than space invaders.

Andre'
    edited 2008-01-17 06:17
    There is hope, I found the font by doing a memory dump from VICE... wink.gif

The mapping is a little bit weird, but hey, it's a game, not a word processor...
    All 64 chars have been added to the Video Driver...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse

Post Edited (Bamse) : 2/8/2008 7:08:22 AM GMT
    edited 2008-01-17 09:26
    Cool ;D
    Now the fun part begins [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-01-21 05:09
    Not much progress, been busy this weekend with "real" work...
    At least the main loop is there, but not much else is done...

I think it's time for some "inspiration" and start playing the game in Vice... tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse

Post Edited (Bamse) : 2/8/2008 7:08:46 AM GMT
    edited 2008-02-08 07:15
    Howdy, been a while...

But the old shed is torn down, the dogs got a new dog run and the gutters are cleaned... wink.gif
    I also found a couple of LCD displays that I had been looking for and finished up a couple of projects for my Replica One, a 6502 system...

So it's time to get back to Gridrunner...
    Got the missile to shot and some Centipedes running all over the screen...
    I also need to start looking into sound effects, it's pretty boring without sound...

The whole weekend is booked up for a family event so I wont be getting back to Gridrunner until Monday... cry.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse

Post Edited (Bamse) : 2/14/2008 5:48:25 AM GMT
    edited 2008-02-09 10:38
    Looking good Bamse, [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-02-14 05:45
    Finally, I got rid of that annoying little bug...
    Did anyone notice that the centipedes where turning a little bit weird when climbing up ?

I guess this was due to a conversion problem between bytes and longs.
    I eliminated the use of -1 in my array of bytes and now it all works... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse

Post Edited (Bamse) : 3/9/2008 7:03:43 AM GMT
    edited 2008-03-09 07:01
    I know it's been a while... tongue.gif
    But this project is not dead yet...

Got the side swipers to fire and also the bombs to work.
    Still a lot of work to do, but slow progress is better than no progress... tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse

Post Edited (Bamse) : 3/11/2008 5:22:03 AM GMT
    edited 2008-03-09 14:18
    Nice 1 Bamse [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Good to see you back on the circuit
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2008-03-10 06:04
    I just tried this for the first time and it is pretty sweet. I like the intro with loader screen from the C64.

Keep up the good work!
    edited 2008-03-11 05:23
    Added a bunch of comments, hopefully the code can be understood by others... cool.gif

You can now crash and the lives are counted down, the scores can be set, they are no longer hard coded...
    Time to start working on the actual game logic a little bit... wink.gif
    And maybe even add some sound...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse

Post Edited (Bamse) : 3/14/2008 3:52:28 AM GMT
    edited 2008-03-14 03:50
    OK, one more thing before I can start working on the logic...
    I need to figure out how to split the Centipede... wink.gif
    But that seem to be a task for the weekend...

Looks pretty cool now that the Centipedes actually turns...

By the way, does anyone want to help out with the sound ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse

Post Edited (Bamse) : 3/16/2008 3:23:30 AM GMT
    edited 2008-03-16 03:21
    Getting better... wink.gif

The look and feel is pretty much there...
    Finally got the Centipede to split properly...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse

Post Edited (Bamse) : 6/12/2008 3:23:45 AM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-04-09 01:10
    Hey Bamse, how's the project going? Started working on the logic yet? I'll add your project to the master index when it becomes generally playable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-04-09 03:55
    Well, it's going pretty slow as you might have noticed... wink.gif

Anyone up for helping me out with sound effects ???
    Currently that is the biggest hurdle...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-04-09 05:56
    I think epmoyer was the one that would volunteer for those tasks, but he seems to be missing as of late.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-06-12 03:21
    Believe it or not, I'm back... wink.gif

I got a basic sound effect engine running using the Hydra sound drivers.
    I'm not really happy with the sound effects but at least they seem to work so I'll get back to them later.
    Time to work on the game logic a little bit more and clean up the code.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse

Post Edited (Bamse) : 6/14/2008 11:48:49 PM GMT
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-06-12 07:20
    Bamse, can you post some screen shots as well, it gets people to download more since they can see what it is.

Andre'
    edited 2008-06-12 07:37
    Bamse, plays great, albeit mega hard [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Job well done!

Baggers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
    edited 2008-06-12 17:55
    Yes it's pretty hard right now...

I would imagine this would be Level 20 or something... wink.gif
    That will be the weekend project, to start at level 1 and get harder and harder up to this level...

Here are some "screenshots", I will have to convert the driver to allow for that screen capture tool that is available somewhere...
    I'll try do this once the game is done...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    1600 x 1200 - 497K
    1600 x 1200 - 430K
    1600 x 1200 - 556K
    edited 2008-06-12 18:02
    ah, right phew [noparse]:)[/noparse] lol it's not me getting too old to play em then lol

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2008-06-14 23:45
    Finally a playable version...

Dedicated to Baggers since the level system works and it no longer starts out with two long Centipedes... wink.gif
    I had enough for today but there is a good chance I'll get some time tomorrow to continue work on it...

I'm still looking for someone to help out with the sound effects, just reply if you are interested...

Have fun...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse

Post Edited (Bamse) : 6/16/2008 4:09:33 AM GMT
    edited 2008-06-15 13:30
    Wow, thanks Bamse, I'm truely honoured [noparse]:)[/noparse] no-one's ever made a game dedicated to me before! thanks matey [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    As for sound effects, I'd help out, but I'm no musician, I have enough trouble trying to do sound effects for my own games lol.
    I guess cos I've been spoilt with real musicians doing music for my work games, so I know how bad my sounds are in comparison :P

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2008-06-15 13:57
    YAY, got to level two :P lol, god I'm poo lol [noparse]:)[/noparse] keep forgetting about the left to right bullet, or I watch out for that, and miss the laser beam rofl, or move into the laser beam, rofl, still great fun to play, thanks again Bamse [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-06-15 20:08
    Excellent game! Hard as heck! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I've attached a copy that is fixed for Demoboard/Protoboard users.
    (If they have a NES controller attached to the same pins as the Hydra)

I've also taken the liberty of adding a dummy sound driver to keep the game from crashing.
    (For those who haven't made the investment in the Hydra book/system yet.)

@AndreL: If the dummy version of NS_sound_drv_052_22khz_16bit is an annoyance,
    let me know and I'll yank it. It's an empty shell with a good plug for the Hydra Book
    in the comments.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    Need a part? Got spare electronics? - The Electronics Exchange
    edited 2008-06-16 04:04
    Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it...

Here is a minor update that will hopefully easy the port to the Demoboard/Protoboard users.
    If I got it right, all you need to do is to change the parameters below and recompile, no need to change the code in the Graphic driver...
      ' Set up the processor clock in the standard way for 80MHz on HYDRA
      ' You will want to edit this to reflect your clock setup
      ' Also necessary is editing the pin definitions, and that's done in the driver itself.
      _CLKMODE = xtal1 + pll8x
      _XINFREQ = 10_000_000 + 0000

SOUND_PIN = 7                 ' Pin used for sound effects, pin 7 on the Hydra
      VCFG_PINGROUP = 3             ' Pingroup for video output, 3 on the Hydra
      VCFG_PINS = %0000_0111<<24    ' The actual pins used to generate the video signal, bit 24 to 26 on the Hydra

Baggers,
    I'm going to give you full artistic freedom with the sound effects.
    Please feel free to use the included silly little sound engine or write a better one.
    Also let me know if you think we are missing any sound effects, these are the ones I have defined so far,

SOUND_LEVEL_START = 129 ' Sound effect for "ENTERING GRID AREA", 1 + 128
    SOUND_GRID = 129 ' Sound effect for drawing grid, 1 + 128
    SOUND_SWIPE = 130 ' Sound effect for Side Swiper, 2 + 128
    SOUND_MISSILE = 131 ' Sound effect for Missile, 3 + 128
    SOUND_SHIP_EXPLODE = 132 ' Sound effect for exploding ship, 4 + 128

Thanks for playing...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse