Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Gathering usefull ADC info — Parallax Forums

Gathering usefull ADC info

CharlieIICharlieII Posts: 70
edited 2007-12-21 01:59 in Propeller 1
I don't seem to be approaching this in the right way, but I need to gather the 8 bits from my ADC and then convert that binary output into a usefull decimal value that I can use in my code later.

This is generally what most of my attempts have looked like...

CON
'Set clock speed to 80 MHz
  _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x        'Sets the clock speed to 80 MHz using a times 16 multiplier
  _xinfreq = 5_000_000             'Crystal speed: 5 MHz

VAR
  Word ADCBITS

PUB start

Dira[noparse][[/noparse]27]~                          'Data Out
    Dira[noparse][[/noparse]25]~~                         'CLK
    Dira[noparse][[/noparse]26]~~                         'CS

Repeat

Outa[noparse][[/noparse]26]~~         
      Waitcnt(1000 + cnt)
      Outa[noparse][[/noparse]26]~ 

Repeat 8

Outa[noparse][[/noparse]25]~~          
       Outa[noparse][[/noparse]25]~     

ADCBITS := ADCBITS * 10

If Ina[noparse][[/noparse]27]==1  
         ADCBITS := ADCBITS + 1
       Else
         ADCBITS := ADCBITS + 0        

Dira[noparse][[/noparse]14]~~
      Outa[noparse][[/noparse]14]~~
      Waitcnt(ADCBITS + cnt)
      Outa[noparse][[/noparse]14]~
      Waitcnt(ADCBITS + cnt)

The processor hangs and leaves Pin 14 high indefinately.......except when the counter wraps and the scope detects a small blip when this happens.

How do I go about gathering these 8 bits from the ADC, and how do I get it from binary to decimal.

Thank you.

Comments

• Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2007-12-19 14:54
    Don't know what kind of interface the ADC has, but:
    A waitcnt with too small a value (you have about 10) certainly will wait for more than 50 seconds. That doesn't work in SPIN. Minimum ist something like 300? Forgot that number.

Also "converting to decimal" is ... um ... a quite strange wish. smile.gif
    Your CPU works with binaries so I'd feed it with binaries. And that's what you get from the ADC.
    Also, using ADCBits for collecting data and for a waitcnt and multiplying it with 10 doesn't make any sense to me.
    You have to shift the binary value from the ADC into ADCBits with "<<" or multiply by 2.

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO
  • CharlieIICharlieII Posts: 70
    edited 2007-12-19 15:14
    Thanks for the idea, and I can't say for sure what is going on as I obviously don't know or I wouldn't be asking turn.gif

But when I wrote that I had hoped it would take the value of pin 27 (1 or 0) and add it to the variable ADCBITS. Then before it checks the next bit multiplies it by 10 to shift ADCBITS one zero to the right for the next bit (1 or 0). I hoped it would continue this 8 times until the variable ADCBITS would hopefully look something like this... 0010011 or similar depending on where the input voltage was and the output binary code that the ADC produced based on that voltage.

I however, do not know how to use something like 0010011, but I do know how to use something like 6225 or similar in my code. I need to get a value out of this ADC that I can use. When I use the command "Waitcnt" I write something like "320000" , not 0010011 or anything like that. That's why I need a decimal value instead of the binary value. I don't know what to do with the 1's and 0's in terms of actually using them. And I can't even gather anything usefull in terms of relative value by looking at them either other than 00000000 is less than 11111111.

I just need to read in an analog voltage and use the variance in that voltage to effect things in the code. I thought the ADC would do this. I had little trouble with it on the BS2PX, but with the prop things like this are a whole new ballgame it seems.

Any help is appreciated.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-19 15:30
    @CharlieII,
    I have mixed feelings with requests like yours - you will understand that in a year or so after you have improved your programming skills... I have often been asked to not answer to such requests... But I see that you have run into problems, so help is indicated...

(a) You should generally debug your program, that is find a way to DISPLAY results and flag dubious situations. The Propeller is perfectly equipped for this: You can use Ariba's PropTerminal.
    (b) As long as you do not tell us what ADC you use, there can be a host of bugs in the way you handle the strobing....
    (c) Avoid overcomplex structures: Many persons here will NOT answer a request containing things as:
           If Ina[noparse][[/noparse] 27 ]==1  
           Else

CAn you see that it is the same as
    ACDBITS += INA[noparse][[/noparse] 27 ]

?

(d) Well, what you want to accomplish has been identified by Nick already.
    It's:
    ACDBITS <<= 1

rather than multiply it by 10. It however depends on the direction MSB or LSB first of the data from the ADC (see
    (b))

Post Edited (deSilva) : 12/19/2007 3:35:51 PM GMT
    edited 2007-12-19 15:51
    I am obviously not very good at writing concise coding. I hope that I will get better though.

I am sorry that I did not list the model of the ADC, it didn't even occur to me. It is National Semiconductor.

JR65RD

ADC0831CCN

And I had no idea how to increment the ADCBITS variable so that all of the bits would end up in-line, and the only thing that came to mind was to multiply by ten.

I would love to have a debug terminal so I could see what these variables were doing, but I am afraid that getting one up and running is also beyond my ability. I am simply low on the tools needed with the propeller. The stamp series takes care of many of these things for you, and I am now having to learn how to do them myself.

But, if I did get a variable named ADCBITS, and it did contain all 8 bits in-line... How do I use that? I appologize, but I honestly have no idea how to use that? My mind only seems to work in terms of numbers like 5, where when I add 1 to it I get 6. Can someone possibly point me to something where I can read about how the binary code works? I honestly couldn't even count using that at this point.

Does it make no sense to convert this value to a decimal value for use in my other code? Say, instead of getting a binary value in the range 00000000 - 11111111 I could instead get a value in the range 0 - 255? Is that not the way to do it? I honestly do not know. I had only hoped to be able to get a whole number out of this at some point, not binary code.

And thanks for any help. I know I am totally lost and ignorant to this right now.
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2007-12-19 16:36
    I got my prop working on Tuesday, this is Wednesday. I followed· the instructions in PE-KIT-OBJECTS LAB and connect directly to the hyperterminal with no prob whatsoever. Of couse you do need the proplug. Read and go thru all the labs. One paragraph can give you a "I didn't know I could do that!!!"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

·A good engineer borrows from others, a great engineer steals everything outright!!
    edited 2007-12-19 16:39
    > My mind only seems to work in terms of numbers like 5, where when I add 1 to it I get 6.

Binary numbers are even much simpler. They only have "0" and "1". smile.gif
    You *HAVE* to read something about binary numbers, or you'll completely fail with tasks like these!

> Does it make no sense to convert this value to a decimal value for use in my other code?

No, not at all. The processor is working with binaries. When you write something like y:= 5 +10, the "5" and the "10" are converted to binaries before the propeller sees them.

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

YADRO
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-12-19 16:41
    deSilva said...
    (c) Avoid overcomplex structures: Many persons here will NOT answer a request containing things as:
           If Ina[noparse][[/noparse] 27 ]==1  
           Else

CAn you see that it is the same as
    ACDBITS += INA[noparse][[/noparse] 27 ]

?

I personally don't see anything wrong with the If-Else form and would argue it is actually clearer than the second in terms of describing what the requirement is although the second is better in achieving that functionality.

Any wrong only really arises because the Propeller Tool is not clever enough to convert both forms into identical object code. In that respect the if-else is far less efficient and wasteful.

If people will not answer questions simply because they don't like the way something is coded or the chosen 'house style' does not match their own then I think they are being ridiculously snobbish, but everyone has a right to be that way if they are so inclined.
    edited 2007-12-19 16:55
    Hippy, it is obvious from many threads that we both think quite differently, in a way nearly: "complementary": When I would say. "It's a particle." You undoubtedly would say: "No, it's a wave!" smile.gif
    edited 2007-12-19 17:05
    @Charlie,
    Potatoehead had prepared a nice introduction where the first chapters contain just information about binary numbers and how to manipulate them, if I remember correctly: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=668559
    edited 2007-12-19 17:20
    @Charlie,
    Have a look at this here obex.parallax.com/objects/209/ It will show you exactly what to do - 90% of this you have already accomplished yourself.

And: Do download Ariba's PropTerminal and use it! It is extremely simple, and will be of extreme help to you.
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-12-19 17:59
    CharlieII, welcome to the forum, wherein you can be beaten into submission for free, embarrassed (or not), enlightened (or not), have flame wars erupt over your recumbent body, diatribes that go over your head, offtopic run-on sentences like this one, schematics seldom, photos somewhat more often, cartoons rarely and maybe even find either an answer that works or food for thought. We have guides, curmudgeons, commentators, and lurkers. Sometimes we even get help from on high.

Never mind, I see that CharileII has been here longer than me.

Post Edited (Fred Hawkins) : 12/19/2007 6:33:13 PM GMT
    edited 2007-12-19 18:06
    From each of Fred's postings I learn a new word... sometimes even two smile.gif Thank you, Fred!
    edited 2007-12-19 18:26
    The link to the program for taking temperature readings using the ADC is the exact one I sliced and diced among others for around 6 hours last night before I gave up and started this thread. In that one he references another object that I also checked into called "Full duplex serial" and I have no idea how his code was running without having a copy of the "Full duplex Serial" code contained within it. How does that work?

I have looked but I cannot find the code by Ariba called PropTerminal for some reason. Is it in the "Propeller object exchange" ?

I think I will drop back here and figure out the hyperterminal first so that I can then wade my way through reading the ADC when I can view the variables in realtime. Not knowing what I'm getting on the variable is leaving me blind here.

Where can I get the "PropTerminal" code at? I would be very interested in getting started on setting it up because that would be a very powerful tool right now.

Thanks.
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-12-19 18:30
    deSilva, Bah humbug.· Merry Xmas to you, too. Actually, I'm in a good mood, having spent an hour reading George Booth cartoons at Cartoonbank....

CharlieII, ariba's term is here: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=649540

Post Edited (Fred Hawkins) : 12/19/2007 6:39:38 PM GMT
    edited 2007-12-19 18:39
    Well, finding this not even exceeded the capability of the Forum Search Function..
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=649540

Start using the PC_Interface_Demo.spin
    Note you have to configure the COM-Port... When in doubt which port, Press F7 in the PropellerTool.
    edited 2007-12-19 19:02
    I don't know what I am missing, but I loaded Ariba's "PropTerminal" named "PC_Interface_Demo" and.....

What is supposed to happen? Or what have I done wrong because nothing happens at all, except that it is loaded into the propeller. Is this supposed to bring up a debug screen?

How does this work? I have yet to download anything, and I mean anything, that can be loaded to the propeller that will actually do something. It seems that these objects are meant to be pieces of a larger puzzle that I am unaware of possibly.

Very little of what has been mentioned here makes any sense to me whatsoever.

Why is it that if I load up one of the objects I cannot even compile it? The "PC_Interface_Demo" was the first one that has even compiled itself.

And I realize that I don't know up from down at this point, but I can't figure out which is which unless I ask someone who knows.
    edited 2007-12-19 19:34
    > ACDBITS += INA[noparse][[/noparse] 27 ]

What a waste of precious lines!

ACDBITS += INA[noparse][[/noparse] 27 ] + 0 * (Dira[noparse][[/noparse]14]~~ + Outa[noparse][[/noparse]14]~~)

Nick, no APL

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

YADRO
  • MinimumWageMinimumWage Posts: 72
    edited 2007-12-19 19:35
    Charlie,

Which propeller product are you using (i.e. protoboard, demoboard, etc.)? Do you have the VGA or TV-out capability built-in? It might be a lot easier for you to debug using one of those methods right now rather than get the PropTerminal configured. If you pass some data to VGA_Text you can display it with the different formatters like dec, bin and hex. The demo programs like VGA_Text_Demo are a great starting point for this - read over the sample code and then re-write it to display what you want. I think that will go a long way towards alleviating some of your confusion about data and how it's stored / displayed.

Mike
    edited 2007-12-19 21:10
    Mike, can you help here? I again lost my nerves....
    edited 2007-12-19 21:19
    Charlie,
    congratulations that you could start the PC-Interface_Demo.
    This SPIN code shows you many of the features you later can use:
    Printing text or numbers in different formats, checking input from the PC keyboard, and even drawing some ver simple graphics on the PC screen.

This has many merrits over using TV or VGA, or PS/2 devices for debugging.

However you also need a program on the PC: This is PropTerminal.exe, also containes in the zip. Just start it!
    It will try to contact the Propeller through the USB-Interface.
    For this is has to know the COM port number which is easy to configure.
    And - of course - it needs the PC_Interface_Demo, or your own program, using the PC_Interface.spin
    edited 2007-12-19 21:48
    hippy said...
    I personally don't see anything wrong with the If-Else form and would argue it is actually clearer than the second in terms of describing what the requirement is....

Indeed it is not a matter of style (and was never addressed as such by me) but a matter of understanding of what is going on.
    Nick gave an example of someone who understands what is going on, but he chose "bad style".

A common problem you encounter with requirements engineering is the missing awareness for appropriate "granularity". Many unexperienced "requirements engineers" overdo it by striving for "atomic requirements". Such a set of requirements is close to useless except for contractual disputes...

In this case you want to add the "value" of the ADC data, i.e.:
    theWhole += theValue(theData)
    It quickly turns out that "the value" is exactly the "theData", so no transformation is needed at all.

What you DO NOT WANT is to do something in one case and something else in the other case. A IF/THEN/ELSE construction might be needed to determine "theValue", but not from the point of "requirement" but from the point of "implementation" only.

Post Edited (deSilva) : 12/19/2007 9:53:23 PM GMT
    edited 2007-12-19 22:30
    > Indeed it is not a matter of style (and was never addressed as such by me) but a matter of understanding of what is going on.
    > Nick gave an example of someone who understands what is going on, but he chose "bad style".

The subject is style, patterns, synonyms. It takes some time to learn them.
    It only can be done by reading code of others and trying to understand it.

Yes, my example was really and intentionally bad. But even bad examples have something to learn from. Here: Write "dense" code, but don't obfuscate it.

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

YADRO
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2007-12-19 23:30
    Hi Charlie II

I have attached a program for the ADC0831· or TLC0831.

This code was a straight translation of some excisting Basic STamp 1 code.
    There are better way's to do it .. using Martin Hebel BS2. functions· object you can
    use the shiftin and out fucntions..

Study the attached program and you get the drift of how essentially these shiftin
    instructions operate..

We have also ported this exact same program to PropAsm ...
    Also very esy to do .. but only if you need wicked conversion rates..

The program is commented hopefull well enough for you to study and understand it.

cheers··· Ron Nollet·· Melbourne Australia
    edited 2007-12-19 23:56
    Reading through that code once it made sense. Is this part of the code the replacement for my crude times 10 multiplier then?

analog := analog << 1           'shift data to the left 1 bit 

What exactly is the above line doing to the variable "analog"?

analog := 0 

And when the above line here is compiled, then executed, does it have this effect on the variable "analog"... 00000000 ? And how does the analog << 1 line effect that? If I knew how these memory spaces were filled up and from which end and such, I think I would have a better handle on this.

Does the << simply move over one bit to the left to "write" in the next bit? Is this the way to increment your way across the 8 bits I suppose?

Is it filling in the bits of analog from right to left then?

In the meantime, I got the "PC_Interface_Demo" to load up on the PropTerminal and I'm going to see if I can figure out a way to display a variable on that screen.

Thanks for the help so far.

Post Edited (CharlieII) : 12/20/2007 12:01:20 AM GMT
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-12-20 00:29
    <<1 means shift to the left one position. It effectively multiplies by 2
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,685
    edited 2007-12-20 12:16
    charlieII

The PC_Interface_Demo from PropTerminal is a little bit complicated to begin.

Here is a simpler code that may help you, also to understand the binary and decimal relations:
    {{ Single Step Demo }}                

CON

_clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

OBJ
      term   :       "PC_Interface"

VAR
      long   value

PUB Main | k

term.start(31,30)               'start the interface

value := %00000101              'init value
      showval(value)                  'and show in bin&dec
      repeat
        k := term.getkey              'wait for a keypress
        case k
          "l": value := value << 1    'l = shift left 1 bit
          "r": value := value >> 1    'r = shift right
          "s": value := value | 1     's = set Bit0
          "a": value += 10            'add decimal 10
                                      'add here your own commands
        showval(value)

PRI showval(v)
      term.str(String("binary: "))
      term.bin(v, 8)
      term.str(String(" = decimal: "))
      term.dec(v)
      term.out(13)   'new line

Just copy this in the IDE, load it into the Propeller with F10. Then start PropTerminal and press a key. L, R,S and A are changes the value and shows the result.

Andy
    edited 2007-12-20 13:21
    Thanks, I'll play with that and see if I can't get a good handle on the effects to the bits for each one of those.

I actually got the other demo working last night, and manipulated it to show only one variable in white in the center of the terminal screen.

From what I can gather, under the block "OBJ" you give some name to another program for reference, and you then place that program's file name in quotes like this...

Somename : "Filename"

Then whenever you want to run a chunk of code out of "Filename" you just say Somename.chunkofcode and it runs that routine out of "filename" .

I also noticed that I could add input variables to the routines that would also pass to the other program. Like, instead of running Somename.chunkofcode I could run Somename.chunckofcode(c) so that my new variable in my program could pass to the object and be manipulated there.

Only real problems I ran into were, it took an inordinate amount of time to execute the "object call?". I'm sure this has something to do with the fact that I was calling for a routine in one object (pc demo) that was then calling for another few out of yet another object (Pc interface).

Either way, I had an LED set to toggle on every cycle through the code reading the ADC, and at first it was only noticably blinking when you looked out of the corner of your eye (rods, not cones) and was running a pulsewidth of say 3 or 4 ms. Then after including the call to a routine within (Pc demo) that subsequently called for another routine within the object (Pc interface) it was taking two or three seconds to cycle and turn the light from on to off and another few seconds to turn it back on again. Painfully slow. What was my processor doing that whole time?

The second thing was that although I got the variable "analog" derived from the code thankfully offered to me by Ozstamp to output to the PropTerminal in both decimal and binary form, It was not dynamic. It seemed like it was running through the cycle correctly once, gathering the bits from the ADC and giving something like 10010011 or similar but then shortly thereafter it would change to 00000000 or 11111111 no matter where I turned the pot. And I did check out the pot for the 2 thousandth time, lol. It varies nicely from around .6 volts to 3.3ish volts. I had it set in the middle. And the ADC was referencing from 5v so I shouldn't ever see a 11111111 anyway.

Any ideas on that would be very much appreciated.

Also, I somehow managed to change my cursor in the propeller tool from the vertical line that is normally used to the old school horizontal blinking cursor. It is driving me insane, so if anyone knows what I did to toggle it to this thing I would really like to change it back roll.gif

And thanks for the help.
    edited 2007-12-20 13:23
    This is the code I was trying to use to read the ADC.

CON
            _clkmode        = xtal1 + pll16x '80MHZ quick runner.. 
            _xinfreq        = 5_000_000      '5 Mega HZ
            delay           = 1_000_000      'longish delay
            sdlay           = 5_000          'shorter delay
            CS              = 26             'Chip select to ADC0831 chip
            CLK             = 25             'Clock signal direct to ADC0831 chip
            DATA            = 27             'Data from ADC0831 use series resistor 4.7K..10K

OBJ
        Term : "Hyperterminal"       
    VAR
        byte    analog                       'declared 1 global variable
        Byte    New

PUB a_dcon831

Dira[noparse][[/noparse]26]~~
        Dira[noparse][[/noparse]25]~~
        Dira[noparse][[/noparse]27]~
        Dira[noparse][[/noparse]14]~~

outa[noparse][[/noparse]CS]~~                           'set output 0 ( CS signal) high
        waitcnt(8_000_000 + cnt)             'have a rest for 0.1 second

New := %10010110

repeat                            'pin26=CS   pin25=clk ina27=data

repeat 1                          'run thru this first section just once
             analog := 0                     'make sure analog byte is at zero
             outa[noparse][[/noparse]CS]~                       'set cs low
             waitcnt(sdlay + cnt)            'wait 
             outa[noparse][[/noparse]CLK]~~                     'set (pulse) clk once              
             waitcnt(cnt + delay)            'wait                                 
             outa[noparse][[/noparse]CLK]~                      'reset clk to low       

repeat 8                          'loop thru this second section 8 times 
             analog := analog << 1           'shift data to the left 1 bit
             waitcnt(cnt + sdlay)            'wait
             outa[noparse][[/noparse]CLK]~~                     'set clock high
             outa[noparse][[/noparse]CLK]~                      'reset clock to low
             analog := analog + ina[noparse][[/noparse]DATA]    'gather data into byte register analog

! Outa[noparse][[/noparse]14]

Term.Main(analog)

edited 2007-12-20 13:25
    And here is the portion of "PC_Interface_Demo" that I shortened to only include what I think I need.

CON

_clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

#0, WHITE,CYAN,RED,PINK,BLUE,GREEN,YELLOW,GRAY        'Standard colors

OBJ
      term   :       "PC_Interface(Short)"

VAR
      Byte   Random
    PUB Main(c) | b

Random := %10000000

'start the interface
      term.start(31,30)

repeat while term.abs_x == 0    'wait for PropTerminal.exe started

setpos(0,6)
      term.setcol(WHITE)
      term.bin(c,8)

waitcnt(clkfreq/25 + cnt)        'Loop all 1/25 seconds                 

PRI setpos(px, py)

term.out(10)
      term.out(px)
      term.out(11)
      term.out(py)

edited 2007-12-20 13:27
    And here is the "PC_Interface(Short)" that I changed to only include what I thought I needed in order to try and save some time, but it had no effect on the time as near as I can tell.

CON
      BAUDRATE    =  115200       'customize if necessary
      SERINVERSE  =  0            'RX+TX pins
      MSY_INVERS  =  0            'Mouse Y direction
      STARTDELAY  =  2            'seconds (0=off)

VAR

long  cog, skey, kstat
      long  col, row, color, flag
      long  mousex, mousey

long  rx_head                 '9 contiguous longs  for SerialDriver
      long  rx_tail
      long  tx_head
      long  tx_tail
      long  tx_pin
      long  rx_pin
      long  rx_mode
      long  bit_ticks
      long  buffer_ptr

long  oldx, oldy, oldz        'must be followed by parameters (10 contiguous longs)

long  par_x                   'absolute x     read-only       (7 contiguous longs)
      long  par_y                   'absolute y     read-only
      long  par_z                   'absolute z     read-only
      long  par_buttons             'button states  read-only
      long  par_present             'mouse present  read-only

byte  rx_buffer[noparse][[/noparse]16]           'receive buffer (4 longs)
      byte  tx_buffer[noparse][[/noparse]256]          'txbuffer (64 longs) 

PUB start(rxpin, txpin) : okay

'' Start SerialDriver
    '' returns false if no cog available
    ''
      par_buttons := 0
      flag := 0

stop
      if STARTDELAY
        waitcnt(clkfreq*STARTDELAY + cnt)

longfill(@rx_head, 0, 4)
      tx_pin := txpin
      rx_pin := rxpin
      rx_mode := SERINVERSE
      bit_ticks := clkfreq / BAUDRATE
      buffer_ptr := @rx_buffer
      okay := cog := cognew(@entry, @rx_head) + 1

PUB stop

'' Stop SerialDriver - frees a cog

if cog
        cogstop(cog~ - 1)
      longfill(@rx_head, 0, 6)

' -- Mouse --

PUB present : type

'' Check if interface present
    '' returns mouse type: 1 = two-button or three-button mouse
    ''

type := 1     'two-button or three-button mouse

PRI rxcheck : rxbyte

' Check if byte received (never waits)
    ' returns -1 if no byte received, $00..$FF if byte

rxbyte--
      if rx_tail <> rx_head
        rxbyte := rx_buffer[noparse][[/noparse]rx_tail]
        rx_tail := (rx_tail + 1) & $F

' -- Display --

PUB dec(value) | i

'' Print a decimal number

if value < 0
        -value
        out("-")

i := 1_000_000_000

repeat 10
        if value => i
          out(value / i + "0")
          value //= i
          result~~
        elseif result or i == 1
          out("0")
        i /= 10

PUB bin(value, digits)

'' Print a binary number

value <<= 32 - digits
      repeat digits
        out((value <-= 1) & 1 + "0")

PUB out(c) | i, k

'' Output a character
    ''
    ''     $00 = clear screen
    ''     $01 = home
    ''     $05 = Grafik (mode,x,y follows)
    ''     $08 = backspace
    ''     $09 = tab (8 spaces per)
    ''     $0A = set X position (X follows)
    ''     $0B = set Y position (Y follows)
    ''     $0C = set color (color follows)
    ''     $0D = return
    ''  others = printable characters

print(c)

PRI print(c)

'' Send byte (may wait for room in buffer)

repeat until (tx_tail <> (tx_head + 1) & $0FF)
      tx_buffer[noparse][[/noparse]tx_head] := c
      tx_head := (tx_head + 1) & $0FF

' -- SimpleDraw --

PUB cls

'' Clear screen (to black)

print(0)

PUB abs_x : x

'' Get absolute-x

x := par_x + (par_buttons>>5 & 1)

PUB locate(gx, gy)

'' set drawing position for characters
    '' will be quantized to 40x13 raster

out(10)
      out(gx/8)
      out(11)
      out(gy/17)

PUB setcol(c)

'' set drawing color 0..7

print(12)
      print(c)

DAT

'***********************************
    '* Assembly language serial driver *  full duplex with mouse decoding
    '***********************************

org
    '
    ' Entry
    '
    entry                   mov     t1,par                'get structure address
                            add     t1,#4 << 2            'skip past heads and tails

rdlong  t2,t1                 'get tx_pin
                            mov     txmask,#1
                            shl     txmask,t2

add     t1,#4
                            rdlong  t2,t1                 'get rx_pin
                            mov     rxmask,#1
                            shl     rxmask,t2

add     t1,#4                 'get rx_mode
                            rdlong  rxtxmode,t1

add     t1,#4                 'get bit_ticks
                            rdlong  bitticks,t1

add     t1,#4                 'get buffer_ptr
                            rdlong  rxbuff,t1
                            mov     txbuff,rxbuff
                            add     txbuff,#16

add     t1,#6 << 2            'set par_y pointer
                            mov     pz,t1
                            mov     pb,t1

test    rxtxmode,#%100  wz    'init tx pin according to mode
                            test    rxtxmode,#%010  wc
            if_z_ne_c       or      outa,txmask
            if_z            or      dira,txmask

mov     txcode,#transmit      'initialize ping-pong multitasking
    '
    ' Receive
    '
    receive                 jmpret  rxcode,txcode         'run a chunk of transmit code, then return

test    rxtxmode,#%001  wz    'wait for start bit on rx pin
                            test    rxmask,ina      wc
            if_z_eq_c       jmp     #receive

mov     rxbits,#9             'ready to receive byte
                            mov     rxcnt,bitticks
                            shr     rxcnt,#1
                            add     rxcnt,cnt                          

:bit                    add     rxcnt,bitticks        'ready next bit period

:wait                   jmpret  rxcode,txcode         'run a chuck of transmit code, then return
                            mov     t1,rxcnt              'check if bit receive period done
                            sub     t1,cnt
                            cmps    t1,#0           wc
            if_nc           jmp     #:wait

test    rxmask,ina      wc    'receive bit on rx pin
                            rcr     rxdata,#1
                            djnz    rxbits,#:bit

shr     rxdata,#32-9          'justify and trim received byte
                            and     rxdata,#$FF
                            test    rxtxmode,#%001  wz    'if rx inverted, invert byte
            if_nz           xor     rxdata,#$FF

cmp     pb,pz          wz     'mouse receiving?
            if_nz           jmp     #getMsPar

cmp     rxdata,#5      wz     'new mouse Event?
            if_nz           jmp     #toRxBuff             'no: write in buffer

add     pb,#1 << 2            'start receiving  pointer to par_button
                            jmp     #receive

getMsPar                cmp     pb,pz         wz,wc
            if_a            mov     cmd,rxdata
            if_a            and     cmd,#$80
            if_b            shl     rxdata,#1             'x,y *2
                            tjnz    cmd,#nomouse
                            wrlong  rxdata,pb             'write par
    nomouse
            if_a            sub     pb,#4 << 2            'pointer from par_button to par_x
                            add     pb,#1 << 2            'pointer to next par until par_z
                            jmp     #receive

toRxBuff                rdlong  t2,par                'save received byte and inc head
                            add     t2,rxbuff
                            wrbyte  rxdata,t2
                            sub     t2,rxbuff
                            add     t2,#1
                            and     t2,#$0F
                            wrlong  t2,par
                            jmp     #receive
    '
    ' Transmit
    '
    transmit                jmpret  txcode,rxcode         'run a chunk of receive code, then return

mov     t1,par                'check for head <> tail
                            add     t1,#2 << 2
                            rdlong  t2,t1
                            add     t1,#1 << 2
                            rdlong  t3,t1
                            cmp     t2,t3           wz
            if_z            jmp     #transmit

add     t3,txbuff             'get byte and inc tail
                            rdbyte  txdata,t3
                            sub     t3,txbuff
                            add     t3,#1
                            and     t3,#$0FF
                            wrlong  t3,t1

or      txdata,#$100          'ready byte to transmit
                            shl     txdata,#2
                            or      txdata,#1
                            mov     txbits,#11
                            mov     txcnt,cnt

:bit                    test    rxtxmode,#%100  wz    'output bit on tx pin according to mode
                            test    rxtxmode,#%010  wc
            if_z_and_c      xor     txdata,#1
                            shr     txdata,#1       wc
            if_z            muxc    outa,txmask        
            if_nz           muxnc   dira,txmask
                            add     txcnt,bitticks        'ready next cnt

:wait                   jmpret  txcode,rxcode         'run a chunk of receive code, then return

mov     t1,txcnt              'check if bit transmit period done
                            sub     t1,cnt
                            cmps    t1,#0           wc
            if_nc           jmp     #:wait

djnz    txbits,#:bit          'another bit to transmit?

jmp     #transmit             'byte done, transmit next byte

'
    ' Uninitialized data
    '
    t1                      res     1
    t2                      res     1
    t3                      res     1
    pz                      res     1
    pb                      res     1

rxtxmode                res     1
    bitticks                res     1

rxmask                  res     1
    rxbuff                  res     1