Propeller Wiki - Page for Today - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Wiki - Page for Today

2»

Comments

• mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2007-12-16 17:20
    CardboardGuru,

Great work on the wiki.

Question: what's the deal with the Navigation menu? A lot of new content is not being reflected there, but maybe it's not supposed to. What's your conception of it? A table of contents? Links just to major topics?
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-12-16 22:35
    yes, mpark, will do.
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-12-17 00:28
    I added some games and screenshots to the Games page on the wiki.
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-12-17 03:22
    Page for Today - 17 Dec 07: How is LONG different from RES?
    This is quite a hard thing to explain, and I'm not entirely happy with my explanation, so I've included another explanation by Beau Schwab from Tricks and Traps too.

Thanks everyone that has contributed so far. The Wiki is improving in leaps and bounds!

mpark,
    Yes, the navigation bar was old and stale. It's pretty useless as a quick index feature. I've cleared it down to just a "Home" link for now. I think it might be the place for some links to meta-information in time. Like a page on how to edit the Wiki for example.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Play Defender - Propeller version of the classic game
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2007-12-17 04:08
    · I think the wiki is a great idea. Being a retired teacher I have often found that another person can explain an idea and just use 2 different words and the student goes "AHHH". Seeing the same info written in a different way by a different person will help alot.

·I just wonder how long and if the spammers will start changing pages to do their dirty work. Also, if I think your info is wrong can I just change it? Are you the moderator of this wiki page? If there is no king, there will be only anarchy.

Thanx for what your putting in now. I am a total newbie and a fresh look is helping alot.

Mosquito

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

·A good engineer borrows from others, a great engineer steals everything outright!!
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-12-17 14:05
    mosquito56 said...
    if I think your info is wrong can I just change it? Are you the moderator of this wiki page? If there is no king, there will be only anarchy.

I'd say "just go for it", there is no king but destructive anarchy rarely reigns if there's goodwill all round.

The best approach towards a Wiki as a contributor I believe is to be tolerant and not too protective about what one writes, accept that others will at times change what you think is perfectly well written into something you may consider less so. Likewise, what may look poorly written is what someone else may consider their masterpiece (*)

The discussion pages and reason for change field are good places to explain why something was changed and can help avoid feelings of defacement.

Sometimes it's better to change something, sometimes it's better to add to what's already written. I personally don't recommend changing something believed to be wrong unless it can be shown to be wrong; a comment to the effect that something may be incorrect is much more constructive and an explanation on the discussion page as to why something was wrong can also help.

(*) My view is also that no one should worry about not having a masterpiece or entering something not perfectly written or even incomplete. Useful, knowledgeable contribution is far more important than stylish presentation, but over time as more pass by it invariables becomes both.
    edited 2007-12-17 16:30
    Surprisingly, anarchy seems to work rather well for Wikis. Wikipedia have produces a very useful encyclopaedia in exactly this way. From time to time there is a bit of vandalism to Wikipedia, but usually someone spots it and reverts the change within hours.

So far there's been no vandalism to the Propeller Wiki. The nearest was someone who replaced a few sentences with German translations. But I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding of the way the site works.

There is no king as far as editing the wiki goes. Anyone can edit a page if they have an improvement to make. Though equally if someone disagrees that it's an improvement, they might change it back.

There's no king as far as creating pages goes either. But you do first have to sign up to do so.

As organiser of the wiki, I do have a few moderator powers just in case we ever do get a determined vandal or an edit war going on. I can lock individual pages so they can't be edited if needs be, or I can set the wiki so that only members can edit it. But I don't expect to be using those options.

BTW, I made potatohead an organiser too, for his early enthusiasm and contributions. Just in case I'm the first up against the wall when the anarchist revolution comes.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-12-17 16:44
    Sweet!

I was planning some stuff, after seeing all the momentum this weekend.

The most interesting thing, I find about the wiki approach, is it is largely driven by passion. Generally, that outweighs other issues that would normally lead to disorganization. This group is a passionate one, and on that basis alone, I believe our wiki is just fine. Besides, one can always back it up from time to time. There is little danger of the thing being lost / damaged beyond reasonable repair.

If you contribute something, have zero worries about it being improved, edited, etc... it's the activity that counts. From there, it just gets better!

Should you want to contribute, but maybe don't want to sign up, have some worries, etc... PM me, and I'll do it.

Just turned monitoring on as well. That way, changes see an e-mail my way. Not a bad idea if you are focused on one topic in particular.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Post Edited (potatohead) : 12/17/2007 4:50:06 PM GMT
    edited 2007-12-18 17:55
    Page for Today - 18 Dec 07: WORD

For such a simple keyword, there are a few things that aren't obvious from the documentation. I've attempted to make a reference page that spells them out, whilst accepting that the pages in the manual are more readable for the beginner, and come with examples. Obviously I'll follow up with similar pages on BYTE and LONG.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-12-19 16:43
    I am reading you wiki site and getting alot of info. Since I am totally new I can't add anything.
    ·I would love to see a

:Total Newbies, what to buy, how much it costs, where to buy parts.

: Toys for big kids: Stuff to buy to do differnet things. Interesting second step for newbies.
    ·· I.E. ADC, monitors, robotics, small t.v.s, temperature, light. Sort of a one stop shopping

Thanx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

·A good engineer borrows from others, a great engineer steals everything outright!!
    edited 2007-12-23 01:41
    New pages:

Page for Today - 22 Dec 07: Spin Byte Code
    21 Dec 07: Hub Memory Map
    20 Dec 07: LONG
    19 Dec 07: BYTE

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-12-23 04:30
    I've been trying to add info as well here and there. : )
    It's looking good so far.
  • JonKoppJonKopp Posts: 12
    edited 2007-12-25 23:23
    This is turning out great!

A couple of ideas, though.

First, I don't know who, if anybody, has the ability to do this using this wiki engine, but it'd be nice if you were sent directly to a page if your search points at a page that exactly matches the title. I know it's small, but it's nice. You can alway add an advanced search that breaks down further search types.

Second, while creating pages, it'd be nice if individuals would do a search of their term. Follow a few of the most pertinent links and add your page as a link from "higher level" topics as a link in a blurb. So, as an example, if you are writing a page of an in-depth comparison of timing characteristics of memory access of different frequencies at different temperatures, or something else more in depth, and there already is a "Memory" or "Characteristics of Prop" page, just enter the page and write a little bit of info containing your linked page. Just an idea. I don't know if the engine is supposed to parse the text in the site and convert the text strings into links if a matching page exists, if so it's broke.

This community never stops amazing me, but who couldn't be excited about this little chip?
    edited 2007-12-31 02:26
    With the excuse of seasonal holidays growing increasingly thin, here's another Page for Today:

Page for Today - 31 Dec 07: Where In The World?

Thanks to everyone else who has been contributing new pages and improving existing ones over the last few weeks. It's really coming together!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-12-31 04:24
    Thanks CardboardGuru. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I havn't seen that user map in ages!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Share the knowledge: propeller.wikispaces.com
    Lets make some music: www.andrewarsenault.com/hss

• kenmackenmac Posts: 96
    edited 2007-12-31 08:29
    CardboardGuru,
    I followed the link to the map and it eventually displayed.
    However, if I attempt to use any control to move/zoom etc, the Browser locks up.
    I use XP/SP2 Home Ed. & Firefox.

I notice that there are no pins in Oz - seems we (Oz members) are a bit slack in marking the map!
    Actually, I wasn't aware of its existence before the Wiki/ Prop. stuff appeared.

Congrats on the great job in setting up the Wiki/Prop. data.

kenmac

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Perth, Western Australia
    Time Zone = GMT + 8
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-12-31 12:21
    @ kenmac : I think it's already been commented on that it locks up Firefox, I have the same problem. M$ IE was okay when I tried that.
    edited 2008-01-02 00:43
    First page of the New Year. Happy New Year Everyone!

Page for Today - 1 Jan 08: Editing the Propeller Wiki

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-01-02 15:46
    Page for Today - 02 Jan 08: DMX

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-01-02 17:41

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Share the knowledge: propeller.wikispaces.com
    Lets make some music: www.andrewarsenault.com/hss

edited 2008-01-03 03:01
    Page for Today - 03 Jan 08: Prop Tool

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-01-08 19:43
    Just a note to say thankyou. I always read you wiki when you make a post. I find it VERY informative and helpful. Keep up the good work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Technologically challenged individual, Please have pity.
    edited 2008-01-08 23:13
    Thank you.

I've just started work on directing a play, so that's going to take up most of my spare thinking time till May, so I doubt I'll be doing any of these for a while. I'd be pleased as punch if someone would take it on for a while and do a page a day thread, or even a page a week thread. There are a few people already busy creating pages, so it'd be good for them to advertise them here. Probably in a new thread though so they have editing rights to the first post.

Having the page a day thread has really brought life to the Wiki by keeping it in people's minds, so it'd be good to keep the idea going.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔