Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Wiki - Page for Today — Parallax Forums

Propeller Wiki - Page for Today

CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
edited 2008-01-08 23:13 in Propeller 1
I've decided to make an effort to edge forward the Propeller Wiki towards the day when it's a useful first port of call for Propeller related information. A little and often is the key, so I've resolved to add a page a day.

Factual/spelling/grammar corrections welcome - just edit the page. Additional material especially welcome.

Page for Today - 03 Jan 08: Prop Tool

02 Jan 08: DMX
01 Jan 08: Editing the Propeller Wiki

31 Dec 07: Where In The World?
22 Dec 07: Spin Byte Code
21 Dec 07: Hub Memory Map
20 Dec 07: LONG
19 Dec 07: BYTE
18 Dec 07: WORD
17 Dec 07: How is LONG different from RES?
16 Dec 07: My Assembler Routine Is Doing Something Weird! What's Wrong?
15 Dec 07: Cog RAM
14 Dec 07: Programming in C
13 Dec 07: Large Memory Model
12 Dec 07: [noparse][[/noparse]url=http://propeller.wikispaces.com/Dev+Board+Differences]Development Board Differences
11 Dec 07: [noparse][[/noparse]url=http://propeller.wikispaces.com/PASD]Propeller Assembler Source-code Debugger
10 Dec 07: [noparse][[/noparse]url=http://propeller.wikispaces.com/Propeller+II]Propeller II

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
Play Defender - Propeller version of the classic game
Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK

Post Edited (CardboardGuru) : 1/3/2008 3:02:23 AM GMT

Comments

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-12-11 13:59
    Having said I visualise a useful Wiki as being a structured book ( a top level index with pages to be filled in ) it seemed only reasonable I should start such an index of what topics a 'book' would cover and how I would personally structure it. First draft attached.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any way of getting that into the Wiki in a form which retains the formatting it has or without losing its clarity. If anyone with more Wiki experience wants to take that on, please feel free to do so.
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2007-12-11 14:39
    CardboardGuru said...
    I've decided to make an effort to edge forward the Propeller Wiki towards the day when it's a useful first port of call for Propeller related information. A little and often is the key, so I've resolved to add a page a day.

Factual/spelling/grammar corrections welcome - just edit the page. Additional material especially welcome.

11 Dec 07: Propeller Assembler Source-code Debugger
    10 Dec 07: Propeller II

Could you please help me understand what this is for? I'm having difficulty understanding why we need ANOTHER "forum".

Sorry, I just don't get it!
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-12-11 15:21
    Hi Paul,

It's probably best to think of the Wiki as a 'live' book or manual. Where this forum's great for asking questions and getting answers, the wiki would be the first port of call BEFORE anyone asks the question that's already been answered!

Much of its success will depend on how well organised it is (not as simple as it may seem - many people will categorise things in many different ways) and how simple it is to find those answers.

I'm not sure the wiki will succeed (IMHO) but it has to be worth a try, doesn't it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-12-11 15:32
    Hi Paul,

It's not a forum, it's a wiki. Forums are for discussion, Wikis are for reference.

When you've got an issue that you are sure was discussed 6 months ago on this forum, have you tried finding it?
    Worse still, if you've got an issue that you don't know has ever been discussed here.

Then there's all the FAQs. Next time someone asks about the Prop II, Rather than typing out an answer, and finding that THAT thread again, point them to:this
    Next time someone asks about development options for the Mac, point them tothis (OK, no one has written that one yet.)

Then there's the possibility for collaborative joining together of information. The best example so far is page:the links page
    No one person put those links together. Various people just added them. This forum has stickies for useful links, but it requires one of the Parallax admins to update them.

Then there are pros and cons in features of editing. This board fails badly when code is placed in line, as the array subscripts like [noparse][[/noparse] 2] are mistaken for tags, unless you hand edit every reference in the code to add a space. It also doesn't support tables very well. And the Wiki handles inserting links and pictures better.

This forum and the Propeller Wiki can live along side each other very well because they have different purposes. Each has links to the other, where it makes sense.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (CardboardGuru) : 12/11/2007 3:38:16 PM GMT
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-12-11 16:03
    Think of a wiki as a living FAQ. Somebody answers a question, say x number of times, and hits a personal limit of sorts. Actually, anybody could hit that personal limit, or find said answer to be of significant value. The kind of value where one might just say, "I'm gonna want that later."

Go to the wiki and make an edit. Should one's edit miss the mark, others can contribute until all are happy with it.

Over time, that FAQ grows, gets structure, etc... it's all very organic.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
    edited 2007-12-11 16:43
    "A living FAQ" - I like that description. It's also a reference source where people can add their own notes in the margin and everyone else gets to see them, be that a note about some trick or treat, a potential trap for the unwary or a clever use of something.

I don't see any problem with a Wiki alongside the Forum or any other official documentation. Each serves their own purpose, they help reinforce each other, and none detract from the other.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-12-11 16:59
    Let's agree that the Wiki idea won't be exactly perfect in every way for every person, but
    it's a good solution to the problem of referencing information, and is better than what
    we currently have. Instead beating it to death, let's put some effort into making it
    work.

I like the "Living FAQ" idea -- Note this message tag.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook

Got an SD card? - PropDOS

A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!

edited 2007-12-12 11:00
    CardboardGuru said...

12 Dec 07: Development Board Differences
    11 Dec 07: Propeller Assembler Source-code Debugger
    10 Dec 07: Propeller II
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-12-13 23:22
    Page for Today - 13 Dec 07: Large Memory Model

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-12-14 12:13
    Page for Today - 14 Dec 07: Programming in C

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-12-14 12:18
    You're doin' a grand job there CBG - keep up the good work.

(BTW: I'm sure scotta's C compiler _will_ be decent, but I've fixed the typo - to read descent!)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
    edited 2007-12-14 12:27
    simonl said...
    I've fixed the typo - to read descent!)

That's the spirit!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-12-14 15:11
    @ CardboardGuru : I'm either missing something or senility has crept up on me ... how do I edit a page ?

I'm registered, confirmed now as a member of the space but don't see any edit link. I get page ( print, what links here ), discussion, history and notify me links. I logged out and back in but that changed nothing. Tried flushing my browser cache, no joy.
    edited 2007-12-14 15:26
    Hi hippy. I had same problem, until I saw the [noparse][[/noparse]edit this page] button hidden in full view near the top-right of the page LOL!

There's also an 'edit navigation' link below the navigation.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    edited 2007-12-14 15:28
    hippy said...
    I get page ( print, what links here ), discussion, history and notify me links.

Just to the left of that "page" menu there should be an edit button. See picture below. If it's not there, there must be an issue with your browser. Do you have Javascript or cookies turned off perhaps?
    267 x 65 - 8K
    edited 2007-12-14 15:31
    simonl said...
    Hi hippy. I had same problem, until I saw the [noparse][[/noparse]edit this page] button hidden in full view near the top-right of the page LOL!

And you fly helicopters? God help everyone in Norfolk! wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-12-14 15:37
    LOL. 'Fly' is probably stretching it - I can hover and do lazy-eights!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    edited 2007-12-14 15:45
    CardboardGuru said...
    And you fly helicopters? God help everyone in Norfolk! wink.gif

smile.gifsmile.gif me neither, not with my eyesight !

Which is potentially the root of the problem, but I'm not taking the blame. With the colour setup I have ( ignore page colours, use system defaults, white on black ), the Edit Page button is invisible. It's there but not seen ...

Post Edited (hippy) : 12/14/2007 3:50:41 PM GMT
    632 x 197 - 6K
    edited 2007-12-14 16:07
    Nope; the blame is entirely with the web developer (and I feel safe saying that, coz I am one!). For some daft reason, they've set the edit links font height to 0px! (These people clearly don't understand accessibility.).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    edited 2007-12-14 16:19
    simonl said...
    Nope; the blame is entirely with the web developer (and I feel safe saying that, coz I am one!). For some daft reason, they've set the edit links font height to 0px! (These people clearly don't understand accessibility.).

Well I'm certainly not going to defend them. Wikispaces was simply the better of the two public wiki sites I did a test run on. It's far from perfect, but I'm a pragmatist and it serves it's purpose.

As you're a web developer, and understand accessibility issues, how about emailing the webmaster and showing him the error of his ways. I'm not qualified to do so.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-12-14 16:36
    'tis dun already smile.gif
    CardboardGuru said...

Well I'm certainly not going to defend them. Wikispaces was simply the better of the two public wiki sites I did a test run on. It's far from perfect, but I'm a pragmatist and it serves it's purpose.

Hey, no problem, when you have only a small choice, and you want to get something out there, you have to go with what's best - there are MANY more sites out there that don't even try to be accessible. It's a shame this issue was on such a crucial element for a wiki! Hopefully they'll fix it - I've shown them how wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

Post Edited (simonl) : 12/14/2007 4:43:05 PM GMT
    edited 2007-12-14 17:06
    Small digression mode = 1

"BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif"

Love that actually. The very best ideas and online conversations happen that way! I do the same, for the most part.

digression mode = 0

On the wiki, I find it useful and quite simple. That's enough for me, with the rest just being gravy. Besides, once it gets built up some, we can take a snapshot, clean it up and publish it as a nice, local HTML package. For those producing and distributing their own propeller goodies, maybe that could be included, or a pointer to it, something...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-12-14 18:47
    Hey Steve!
    I love the wikispace it can grow into a great resource and it was a lot easier to update than I thought....
    I will add as much info as I can in the next few days.

Coley
    edited 2007-12-14 19:08
    Glad to have you on board Graham!

How about registering as Coley, then people know what you've contributed?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-12-14 19:30
    OK will do! smilewinkgrin.gif
    edited 2007-12-15 04:41
    Page for Today - 15 Dec 07: Cog RAM
    edited 2007-12-16 00:39
    Page for Today - 16 Dec 07: My Assembler Routine Is Doing Something Weird! What's Wrong?

*Call for help*
    The Propeller Wiki is getting a bit heavy on software topics. I'd really appreciate it if someone who knows rather more about hardware topics that I do would do the odd page about hardware. How do you connect stuff to the propeller? What are all those resistors and capacitors for? How do you know what value to use? Common mistakes. How to get PCBs done. Whatever you think will be useful.

Post Edited (CardboardGuru) : 12/16/2007 1:20:28 AM GMT
    edited 2007-12-16 05:14
    Nice check list Cardboard. Just went through this today. Almost the same steps. Was an immediate jmp too!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-12-16 09:16
    nice check list CardboardGuru, oh, and on Number 3, about cmp, don't forget to make sure it's a cmps if you need to check for signed values.
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2007-12-16 17:04
    Baggers said...
    nice check list CardboardGuru, oh, and on Number 3, about cmp, don't forget to make sure it's a cmps if you need to check for signed values.

The thing about a wiki is that anyone can edit it. To save CG the trouble, I went ahead and made your suggested change, but next time, be brave and do it yourself!

Now get back to work on Frogger!